How much planning involved if doing DDP?

jillyjoey

DIS Veteran
Do we have to know where we are going to use TS before we go and do we need to make ADR for all TS meals? Has anybody on DDP just winged it once they got there and how did it work out? Thanks

With so many people on the DDP, it is getting harder to just "wing it" at the parks. I would suggest that you make ADR for your TS meals.

As to how much planning....we look at which parks have "extra magic hours" on which days, and tentatively plan our park days. THen I make a list of restaurants we want to hit. Step 3, match up the restaurants in or near the parks with the days we have planned for the parks. Step 4, call and make ADR. It really is easy.

You can always change plans. My favorite experience was calling from a phone at poolside and making dinner ressies for that night. It just struck me as totally decadent to not even need to get out of the pool.

A tip on changing plans--always get your "new" ressie before you release the original one. Don't cancel first and then find out that you can't get what you wanted. Also, we've had decent luck just going to the restaurant, even when the dining people said there were no ADRs available. However, I wouldn't try this with a large party.

I second the previous posters advice of planning around your tentative parks- just so you are in the area - Though I tended to AVOID the EMH parks in my planning. DD(5) hates lines so I am trying as best we can to avoid the "busy" parks of each day.

I can't speak to booking same day but I liked the aspect of having an ADR around the park we intend to visit well in advance and at least having some degree of structure. Course the plan could be shot out of the water pretty easy once we get there.

I would just fear by winging it that I'd end up with extra TS credits at the end which would be a waste.

good luck!

Check out allearsnet.com for the menus of each restaurant - it helped me and definately check out all the opinions of the restaurant boards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter