How Much Should i Bring?

jdemay2

Earning My Ears
I am going to Disney world for the 1st time in October and the I am bringing cash only for spending that way I don't go over budget I am thinking about bringing a $1000 worth of cash for just myself and I'm wondering if that would be enough or if I should save up a little more I have a Disney dining plan that I will be using for meals and park hopper passes for tickets as well as staying on resort what do you all think would be the appropriate amount to bring for 5 days

That's way more than I would need for 5 days if I didn't have to buy food and tickets. I guess if you like buying lots of souvenirs or something that should be a good amount.

I’d probably get a $500 gift card then, and keep the rest in cash. I know you don’t want to sink extra money above what you would definitely spend, but you can usually get 5-10% off gift cards, so that’s an extra $50 in your pocket perhaps.

With tickets, room, and most meals already paid for, I would think that would be more than enough.

First, that's WAY more than I'd ever spend -- if tickets and food were already covered. Truthfully, if tickets and food were already paid, I'd probably spend zero in the parks -- but I'd want $20 in my pocket just in case. What do you expect to pay for? Let's make a list of possibilities:

- Parking and/or Uber rides
- Drinks and/or snacks ... do you know that you can get free ice water from any food vendor any time?
- Souvenirs ... personally, I don't see the point.
- Are tips included on the dining plan?
- Will you make a grocery store stop on the way to your hotel?
- What else do you think you personally would buy?

Count me in with those who wouldn't be comfortable carrying that much cash around. Since you're worried about over-spending, you might consider buying yourself a $1000 VISA gift card from your bank or credit union ... and using it for all your Disney purchases. You can't spend more than the gift card's dollar figure, yet I think -- be SURE of this -- that, if lost, you have some recourse. Photograph the back of the card so you'd have the phone number to call. I know, I know, the chances of losing it are slim, but it's still safer than cash. If you don't spend it all, you can use it for groceries and gas later.

Actually, if you're traveling with a spouse, I'd suggest two separate $500 cards. It means you could still spend if you split up during your vacation, and it lessens the chance that all your money could be lost.

I personally would not buy a Disney gift card. Why? Because you say it's your first trip, and you don't know how much you're going to spend ... I wouldn't want that much money tied up in a single-merchant gift card. A VISA can be used anywhere.

I bought $1200 in GC to spend for 5(4 adults and 1 Toddler) people. Tickets and all dinners paid for with meal plan.
I came home with $75 left on GC. I spent a little more towards the end only because I had it to spend and wasn’t planning on bringing any GCs back.

I've been to WDW many, many times. If everything was already paid for, except an occasional snack and souvenir, I would think $50, at the most, per day. I doubt I'd even spend that.

What do you think you will need to spend $200 per day on?

Depending on how much you want to eat and drink at food and wine, tip for table service, souvenirs, tip bell hop. If it’s just you I think $1000 is plenty. If you plan to go again I’d get a $500 Disney gift card. Get a $500 visa gift card and keep it safe. That way you have more if needed. Def wouldn’t bring cash.

I would charge purchases to your magic band and use the cash to pay off your room charge each day instead of carrying much cash to the parks (you may be planning to do that already). You will need money for tips for table service meals, any drinks or food not covered by the dining plan, and any souvenirs. I would think $1000 would be more than enough unless you like to shop a lot.

For 5 days I would take at least that much. I have never felt uncomfortable with cash on me.
You never know when your going to lose or have an issue with your card, or the electronic payment system is going to be down.
My son got stuck at LAX when the data lines got cut and no cash. He was starving and surrounded by food places, that at that point were cash only.

Rather then bring a large amount of cash, all of the Disney hotels have ATM machines where you can get money as needed. Having a large denomination gift card is really no different then having a large amount of cash which can easily be lost/stolen. I agree with others who also suggested using a credit card and then only having cash for incidental expenses.

since you have plenty of time, why not go open up a bank account that is nonot connected in any way, shape or form to your current bank, deposit the vacation dollars there and get a debit card from them.

I have a bank account that I use for Christmas and vacation only. When I"m not on vacation, I don't even carry the card with me, nor do I have the app on my phone. No temptations that way. LOL

If you want to spend $1000 go for it! If I had 1k lying around I would too. Disney has nice purses and jewelry. If you’re interested in purchasing a high end item save more. Unless this is a once in a lifetime trip, I would not spend half of that on their overpriced basic souvenirs.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

I would never carry that much cash, anywhere! I would just use my credit card, and go to the front desk every couple of days to get a print out of my charges, so I can keep track of my "budget."

As others have said, I'd have money for tips separated out for any TS meals, but after that, I'd just use a debit card if you are afraid of running over. I always will have cash on me, but not that much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter