How much time to allow for SoCal traffic?

Tink-aholic

DIS Veteran
WDW vet planning first trip to DL here. After much research, DS16 and I are planning to spend 2 1/2 days in DLR and 2 in San Diego (we arrive at noon on 8/23 and depart at noon on 8/28). We haven't decided how we are going to split the days, but right now it looks like we'll be doing DLR on the weekdays and driving down to SD on a Friday, which would leave us driving up to the airport on a Sunday. We are leaving out of Burbank at noon. If we leave SD at 7AM, would we make it? I have heard horror stories of S. California traffic. Is all of this a bad idea? Are Sunday mornings better? Is there a "better" time?

The other option is to drive right from Burbank down to San Diego, however the hotel we wanted is significantly more expensive on weekdays. I've also heard that it is better to avoid the Disney parks and DTD on weekends.

I am open to any advice you might have. Thanks in advance!

My info is a couple years stale, but on the weekends you would be fine, especially leaving that early.

The other option, depending on how you feel about switching hotels, is to check into a Burbank hotel Saturday night and plan to spend the morning seeing Hollywood. The drive would probably be about the same either way.

WDW vet planning first trip to DL here. After much research, DS16 and I are planning to spend 2 1/2 days in DLR and 2 in San Diego (we arrive at noon on 8/23 and depart at noon on 8/28). We haven't decided how we are going to split the days, but right now it looks like we'll be doing DLR on the weekdays and driving down to SD on a Friday, which would leave us driving up to the airport on a Sunday. We are leaving out of Burbank at noon. If we leave SD at 7AM, would we make it? I have heard horror stories of S. California traffic. Is all of this a bad idea? Are Sunday mornings better? Is there a "better" time?

The other option is to drive right from Burbank down to San Diego, however the hotel we wanted is significantly more expensive on weekdays. I've also heard that it is better to avoid the Disney parks and DTD on weekends.

I am open to any advice you might have. Thanks in advance!

You should be fine. Since you're leaving early, and on a weekend, it should be smooth sailing from SD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter