How old is too old for a stroller for WDW?

How old is too old? When they don't fit lol

On a serious note, this is purely a subjective question. If you feel that a stroller would be of benefit to you and your kids during your trip then get one. If you think it would be more hassle than its worth then don't. I wouldn't worry about what other people think.

A lot of these questions come up and for the most part the underlying motivation / question is not whether they are old enough but more so to imply and ask 'what is socially acceptable'. The answer to that is obviously going to be diverse depending on who you ask...... none of which matter lol... Do what makes sense for you and your family and have a great time!

Suggestions for "cheap umbrella strollers" ?

We have a not-so-cheap one, but that seems too heavy to bring in addition to a bigger, reclining stroller for the 2 year old.

I fear if I go too cheapy, then the 45 pound 6 year old won't fit in it .. and there may be times where the little one needs the big stroller for naps.

Last June, my 5y3m and 6y8m kids walked 71 miles in 7 days and didn’t complain one single time. They are not future olympians, just typical kids. I dont think they ever considered a stroller was an option.
Sounds like your children are ready for a city tour:).

We have a not-so-cheap one, but that seems too heavy to bring in addition to a bigger, reclining stroller for the 2 year old.

I fear if I go too cheapy, then the 45 pound 6 year old won't fit in it .. and there may be times where the little one needs the big stroller for naps.

This is so true. Back when my kids were that age, they did not have as many options for strollers. The umbrella type ones where pretty small and could only handle a certain weight. Even a 4-5 year old was getting too heavy for them and made it almost impossible to push. I would recommend anyone getting a stroller to put the kid in it and push it around the store before you buy it. It might handle great empty but put in a 50lb kid in it and it is like pushing a lead weight. I think that is a big issue when considering putting an older child in a stroller. Is the stroller able to handle it and are you willing to push something that heavy in something that is not made for it. Stroller companies are making these for babies and toddlers. I don't think they imagined people would be putting their 8,9,10 year olds in them. Most have a 40 or 50 lb weight limit.

Strollers aren't necessarily determined by age (other than with features for car seats, carriers etc...), the constraining variables are size and weight as that varies vastly over the populous irrespective of age. The main thing is to find a stroller that can accommodate the size and weight of your children. The City Mini GT double has an official 'recommended' weight limit of 50lbs per side plus 14lbs of storage, so 114lbs of load. This is the 'recommended' weight for safety purposes and is far from the limits of its carrying capacity, however, going beyond it is obviously done at your own risk. Baby Jogger's City mini series is load carrying beast! I use mine to take equipment to tournaments, picnics etc... and it is loaded up to the max! Always handles well and makes life so much easier. But this may not work for you, it's just to highlight the fact you can carry a lot of weight if needed with no issues at all.

Great thread. We're going back next May after a two year hiatus. The kids' ages will be 15m, 6y10m, and 8y11m. We've always used a double stroller but man after taking the baby for a few walks in the single I couldn't help but imagine how 'deluxe' it must feel to NOT manage a double in the parks. I like the idea of bringing a baby carrier and letting our 6yo catch a rest in the stroller. Like others, I'm sure I'll be overruled. Maybe 2020 on a bounceback trip...

We still use a stroller. My DS-10 has ADHD, and his medication can make him sleepy and tired, he is really small for his age about the size of an 8 yr.old. We have a City Mini double, so when he gets tired he has a place to sit and rest, even sleep. My DD also has a place to sit when she is tired too. So go with what you think is best for you. Also it makes a great place to keep drinks and snacks during the day!!! Sorry, my DH is worried about what to do with his Starbucks after our DS no longer needs the stroller:rotfl2:. Good Luck!!!

Debating on our stroller options for an upcoming trip this fall.

Two children at the time of the trip:
2y 1mo old girl
6y 3mo old boy (first grader)

We had a double stroller on our last trip in early 2017 (5mo, 4 1/2 yo) and that worked well, but just too wide. He used it a lot (especially going to/from the parking lots), but a lot of time we used it to store a bag in the second seat while walking.

I don't think a 6-year old needs a stroller, but would be nice to have to give him a rest (he has to take twice as many steps as any adult) and to be able to get from place to place a bit more quickly (which is key to me).

He is in a lazy/whiny stage right now "I don't wanna walk, I'm tired" (through the grocery store, around the neighborhood, around a mall)

But I really don't want to carry/push around a double stroller and the Dad in me is like "he can tough it out like the rest of us" .. but his mother is worried he will just become a whiny, miserable mess as he quickly gets tired and wants/need a rest after walking the long distances involved in theme parking.

Opinions? Experiences?

Double stroller?
Single stroller?
One of those strollers that has a "standing area" for older children? (but is he too old/heavy for that?)

Despite driving, we usually rent a stroller for convenience (and having different stroller options that we don't own)

We went when my kids were 7 years old and 9 months. We brought one stroller and at times, the 7 years old rode in the stroller while my 9 month old was in the sling. I definitely don't think that having a stroller available for a 6 year old is overkill, especially in Epcot where our day typically involves walking almost 10 miles. . If it's going to keep him happy and prevent a melt down, why wouldn't you let him use it?

My younger DD was 7 on our last trip and we still brought our Maclaren Volo. She rode in it a fair amount, plus we like keeping our snacks, ponchos, sunscreen, etc. in the basket. Not sure when we will stop bringing it, I really like having it.

Our last trip my kids were 8 and 6. The 8 year old has ASD and sometimes just needs a break. We rented 1 stroller. It was hot and the kids took turns. We honestly took it more for the 8 year old so he could have his space when things got too overwhelming.

We did end up renting an additional Disney single at EPCOT just for the World Showcase. By the time we went there, we were several days into the trip. It was September, hot and Food and Wine was going on so crowded as well. It ended up being perfect as the 6 year old fell asleep in the rented one for almost the entire world showcase and the oldest had a "spot" blocked from people where he could watch the shows.

We're going no stroller this time (9 and 7), but will probably still get one for World Showcase. Same reason - it's the only time too many people becomes a big issue for the oldest. The other parks we can find a quick nook out of the way for him to decompress, but World Showcase at Food and Wine doesn't have a lot.

I just had this conversation with my husband. We were debating renting a stroller (since we don't even own one anymore) for our son, who is turning 7 on the trip. I was for it and my husband was on the fence. We are in the parks from open to close. One day on our last trip, we hit 20 miles. We decided to see what our son wanted. I asked him and he said he didn't need it. He then came back about ten minutes later and asked if he could change his mind. He said he remembered how much we walked last time and wanted the stroller. It will be worth the $70 not to hear him complain or have to carry an extra 50 pounds.

We'll be renting a stroller for my granddaughter who will turn 6 right before we go in December. Disney can overstimulate kids even if they don't usually have issues. When we went in January my granddaughter would sit in the stroller and pull the top down when the stimulation was too much for her and she'd come back out after she had a break. I thought it was great that she could tell when things were getting to be too much for her and she was able to take action on her own. It's not just the walking. You also have to factor in heat, them getting tired and having to be on they guard as masses of people charge by constantly.

Kids ride in strollers at Disney until they are stuffed in and hanging out. My kids rode until 5 but I know I saw some last trip that had to be close to 9-10. My grandson is special needs and although he’s still little he has low muscle tone and will need one longer.

I really regretted not getting a stroller for our last trip. My youngest was 2 months shy of her 7th birthday and I thought she would be ok without a stroller but she wore out quickly with all the walking. I considered the cheap umbrella strollers that they sell in many of the gift shops at the resorts but I didn't think it would work for her since she was right around 60 pounds, umbrella strollers are terrible to push around if your kid is big. Her 15 year old brother and I ended up carrying her a lot, I should have broken down and rented a stroller. When in doubt--GET THE STROLLER.

My last trip we used a stroller like this, but this isn't the exact one (amazon link). It held up remarkably well and it was light and easy to transport.

You will get soooooo many opinions on this subject which are neither right nor wrong...You need to do what is comfortable for you and your kiddo. Whether there is a need will depend on your kiddo and what your touring plans are like. My DS5 uses a stroller because we do not take a break from the park and go from Rope Drop until well after dinner. He is the type of kid that enjoys a nap in the stroller so we still use it. Hope that helps! Have a FUN trip!!!!

When Mom and Dad are tired of pushing them.

For us that was the trip that DD was 5. We went for 6 days in August. We didn’t take a stroller but decided if she needed one we would rent one. She never needed it and never complained. We did RD, afternoon pool breaks and PM park everyday.

When DD was 2 and DS was 8 we rented a double stroller for the extra space. DS would try to get in (and we let him sometimes to rest if there weren’t seats close by) but i would make him get out when we were pushing it. Way too much weight to push around in the heat.

I’m one of those that refuses to push older kids in strollers. If they can’t walk then we can’t go to Disney or any vacation that requires a lot of walking. We will pick somewhere else until they can walk.

Going without a stroller and without bags is so freeing. If i ever had anymore kids i wouldn’t go until they were out of a stroller. It was like opening up a whole new world for me.

The last trip with our stroller we had our sit and stand with us for our then 4yr old. Our 5yr old had to fight with our 9 year old almost every night. She didn't care what others thought, if she was tired she wanted to sit. It was harder to keep the 4 yr old in than the older 2. If you are bringing one anyway I say go for it for the older child. It will be a blessing when they are tired.

Be mindful though of which is easier to handle and close...a double or 2 singles. On a crowded bus one person may be stuck holding both.

We'll be renting a citi mini double GT this trip. My kids are 4 & 6. They haven't used a stroller at home in a very long time! Disney is different. At least for our family. I know my kids. They will not be able to keep up with a week of walking in the parks, especially in the heat. It will be faster and less stressful for us to have a place they can rest for a bit. Maybe take a little snooze. I also like having a place to put our stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter