How Strict Are They About Ages on Excursions?

AeroKU

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
My son will be 1.5 months shy of 8 years old when we go on our cruise. Some of the excursions that we want to do say 8 and up (swimming with Dolphins and Parasailing). Will he be allowed to participate in these activities?

They are strict and they know his age. It’s not going to be allowed.

If the excursions are offered independently, you might find that the tour operators themselves have different requirements, but you have to book through them and get yourself to the place on your own. (Obviously this wouldn’t work for things on Castaway Cay where it’s all run by Disney)

They are strict about ages on excursions and in the kids clubs and even about heights on the Aquaduck/dunk! I'd recommend going on your own (we've done it).

They have to be strict because of insurance coverage. Unfortunately, so many people want to sue the Mouse that Disney has to be very careful.

Last edited:
They are strict about ages on excursions and in the kids clubs and even about heights on the Aquaduck/dunk! I'd recommend going on your own (we've done it).
Who did you use? I'm looking at the package on Bahamas Tour Center website. I called them and there is no age minimum. It's all based on weight. The package looks great and includes Parasailing, snorkeling, jet skiing and banana boat ride for $180 pp.

Who did you use? I'm looking at the package on Bahamas Tour Center website. I called them and there is no age minimum. It's all based on weight. The package looks great and includes Parasailing, snorkeling, jet skiing and banana boat ride for $180 pp.

We did the dolphins on Blue Lagoon through ShoreTrips.com. You can't book directly with BL - they'll tell you to book through the cruiseline. For dolphins in Cozumel we went directly through Chankanaab. Snorkeling we've done through the cruiseline (my daughter had just turned 8). We haven't done parasailing/jet skiiing/banana boat with her.

If the excursion is with Disney, no wiggle room at all. Shore excursions that you can reserve on your own, you can always call and ask or email them.
Have fun! :)

Agree that there is no wiggle room with Disney. I would call the tour company - they sometimes will impose the same age limit as Disney. We did the dolphin swim at Chankanaab and although their policy was minimim age 2 (vs age 3 for Disney), they would not agree to let us privately purchase a ticket for the dolphin swim for our son who was only 1 month shy of 3 (and a tall boy), once they found out we were sailing with Disney. We asked 2 different people and both quickly said no.

Agree that there is no wiggle room with Disney. I would call the tour company - they sometimes will impose the same age limit as Disney. We did the dolphin swim at Chankanaab and although their policy was minimim age 2 (vs age 3 for Disney), they would not agree to let us privately purchase a ticket for the dolphin swim for our son who was only 1 month shy of 3 (and a tall boy), once they found out we were sailing with Disney. We asked 2 different people and both quickly said no.

You could have booked with ShoreTrips.com. They don't have a problem with cruisers and are still usually much less expensive.

Also, I wanted to add... You can sometimes save money booking independently. Over 9 is usually considered an adult through the Disney excursions. We've often booked direct with vendors, and the child price was for 12 and under. Just check the reviews and you will be fine.

Make sure in Nassau that they allow a lot of time to get back. Don't do a external excursion that gets you back at 3:30 if the all aboard time is 4. I have been late so many times at Nassau. luckily I was on a dcl excursions. I did some external and they had a return time of 1:30 we didn't get back until 2:10. It was the blue lagoon dolphin. It wasn't their fault it was the other passengers that they were waiting on to get on the boat to go back.

Usually they are not so strict about the youth clubs-at least Edge and Vibe It all depends on the cruise, but I have found that usually if a child is 10, they can go to Edge and if they are 13,they can go to Vibe.

You could have booked with ShoreTrips.com. They don't have a problem with cruisers and are still usually much less expensive.

At least for Sea Lions on Blue Lagoon, they are exactly the same price as DCL ($143).

Edge and Vibe It all depends on the cruise, but I have found that usually if a child is 10, they can go to Edge and if they are 13,they can go to Vibe
The key word being "usually". But not always. If a specific cruise already had the maximum number of kids in the correct ages for any specific club on the cruise, aging up isn't allowed.

We've also often booked outside of DCL when our kids haven't been old enough through DCL but are if we book directly or through another tour group. When we first started cruising, we booked exclusively through the cruise line for fear of being left behind, but now that we're more comfortable with things on our own, we almost exclusively book excursions on our own unless what we want to do seems like the time frame will be too tight, then we go with the cruise line.

Also talk to the company you book with if you go outside of Disney. You don't need to be worrying about cancelling your excursion if the ship can't port. (Just happened to us in Grand Cayman. We couldn't port that day) I am such a worry wort I won't book anything that isn't run by the ship I am on. You want to make sure the boat will wait for you or that they will get you to the next destination. (This is also when trip insurance can make you feel better) You need to make sure the people you are booking with have insurance. Injuries and accidents happen you don't want to be unprotected. There are some companies that automatically refund your money if the ship doesn't make it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter