How Strict Are You With Social Distancing?

For the most part, yes. But I also think that we need to begin to accept that this isn't going away soon. My parents have wanted to see us for a while and we've been putting it off but we're going to see them tomorrow. At the rate things are going, they'll be dead by the time we see them again.

Also, I have been and continue going to work. About 3 weeks after this started, we did reduce staffing by going to a 3 team schedule. We don't see the other teams except for 3 minutes once per week basically. So if someone on Team 2 tests positive then Team 2 gets quarantined and the other two teams increase the schedule. But, things are picking up and we're approaching the point where we are going to need to eliminate Team #3 and add those people to Teams 1 & 2. I understand the people who are still working from home and can completely self-contain themselves but I'm not one of them so I'm getting a certain level of exposure one way or another.

We do not have curbside pickup here, as many people here do not have cars. You can get grocery delivery if you are lucky, but it is not guaranteed and may not get you all you need as many stores have limited inventory since they are not very large. We also have a very large percentage of over 60 people in my neighborhood. If someone thought they had more right to not wear a mask than someone who might have to leave their home to get what they need, I wouldn't want to know them.

So do you think the vulnerable should stay home so that others can run around without a mask? If so, I don't agree. Especially after watching tv and seeing that it is not only the "vulnerable" that can catch Covid, and die from it.

I have been doing almost all of my shopping on line. However there are a few things the stores don't list that you have to go get yourself if you want them.
I didn’t say that. But if I was high risk I would definitely come up with ways to not have to mix with other people.

You do realize that not every single grocery store in the country offers pick up? Our small town store doesn't and I can name 5 others off the top of my head surrounding me that don't.
Yea, I know that. But these are the people we are trying to protect. Fine, get your groceries but bopping around buying a greeting card etc. they’re just prolonging their time being possibly exposed.

Yea, I know that. But these are the people we are trying to protect. Fine, get your groceries but bopping around buying a greeting card etc. they’re just prolonging their time being possibly exposed.
So, you don't want them to buy a greeting card at the grocery store (god forbid), but you also don't think they deserve to go into any other stores. So, the two minutes picking out a card in the grocery store is now somehow a problem, too? :rolleyes2 Some of you with your "don't you dare leave your house if you're high risk because it may inconvenience ME ME ME" are unbelievable.

DH has anxiety and some pre-existing conditions so we have taken this very seriously. We have only gone out for curbside grocery pickup and one stop to get gas for the mower. We have both been able to work from home since mid-March. Our employers will start phase 1 of returning people to the office next week, but neither of us is in that first phase. We have only seen our adult children online or outside. We do go for walks in the evening when few people are out.

A friend that has not been social distancing near as much as us mentioned that we should get together soon but wasn’t sure her daughter would be comfortable with it. She watches the grandchildren so her daughter would have a reason to be concerned if we had been exposed. Our friend has been around her daughter that works in a nursing home, her SIL that works in HVAC in customer facilities, her husband that does repairs in various businesses, a BIL that is a police officer, goes shopping all the time, and has eaten out. And she is worried that we might expose her! I let her comment slide, but I think we would be the one’s at risk!

So, you don't want them to buy a greeting card at the grocery store (god forbid), but you also don't think they deserve to go into any other stores. So, the two minutes picking out a card in the grocery store is now somehow a problem, too? :rolleyes2 Some of you with your "don't you dare leave your house if you're high risk because it may inconvenience ME ME ME" are unbelievable.
Oy. Get off it. Just give me the list of rules that are acceptable. We are all supposed to wear a mask, and social distance so hopefully this goes away or at least lessens. But ask that high risk people stay home, which is what should have been done in the first place, and let the younger people work, that’s unacceptable.

Oy. Get off it. Just give me the list of rules that are acceptable. We are all supposed to wear a mask, and social distance so hopefully this goes away or at least lessens. But ask that high risk people stay home, which is what should have been done in the first place, and let the younger people work, that’s unacceptable.
So ... “let the younger people work”. How’d that work out in the meat packing plants across the country? Or are those “essential employees” just expendable?
High risk actually covers a lot of ground in this country with our high levels of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc..
IMHO everyone, regardless of age, should be allowed to work as long as the employer provides a safe (or as safe as possible) environment for its employees.

For the most part, yes. But I also think that we need to begin to accept that this isn't going away soon. My parents have wanted to see us for a while and we've been putting it off but we're going to see them tomorrow. At the rate things are going, they'll be dead by the time we see them again.

Also, I have been and continue going to work. About 3 weeks after this started, we did reduce staffing by going to a 3 team schedule. We don't see the other teams except for 3 minutes once per week basically. So if someone on Team 2 tests positive then Team 2 gets quarantined and the other two teams increase the schedule. But, things are picking up and we're approaching the point where we are going to need to eliminate Team #3 and add those people to Teams 1 & 2. I understand the people who are still working from home and can completely self-contain themselves but I'm not one of them so I'm getting a certain level of exposure one way or another.

I agree with you. This isn't going away anytime soon. And I also am in the group of "privileged people" who can stay home. Well, my business is a service business and has been greatly impacted, which has cut our income by about 1/3. However, my husband has been telecommuting for over 15 years and his job seems secure so far. Financially, we're fine. I'm not sure how quickly my business comes back, but I've had to let everyone go. So, that certainly wasn't great.

Most of my friends/family/acquaintances are going to be able to work from home for the foreseeable future, certainly through the summer. I truly feel for anyone who has to go back into a work environment where they can't social distance. And I feel like that's why it's even more important for those of us who *can* stay home and socially distance....to do so. It's literally the least we can do. Yes, it's hard emotionally. But we'll socially distance outside as I've said earlier, and make the best of it.

Also, as someone who is able to avoid the public for the most part, the name of the game for us is to allow this virus to move through our society. It's going to mutate and it's also going to work it's little black heart out to work around the new therapeutics that we throw at it. But it's also going to become less virulent as it burns its way through its favorite new host, humans.

The people who I find selfish and frankly, entitled, are people like me, who can stay home, or socially distance outside with friends, but have just kind of decided that they're over it. Trust me, if our current political divide wasn't enough to put a strain on relationships with some friends and family members, this pandemic was the proverbial icing on the worst cake ever.

What is boils down to is many people who share your feelings on the matter is you all want others to be inconvenienced so you don't have to be...and then shockingly, don't like it when that behavior is called out.

Lumping 25-64 all in one group was a pretty poor way to look at these particular statistics.

All numbers available https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Nah, just depends on the narrative one is trying to advance. They later corrected the headline to read 20% of deaths occurred in the 20-64 age range, which is a commonly used age bracket for, well, nothing actually.

That they amended their headline is more shocking than any data used in their article.

What is boils down to is many people who share your feelings on the matter is you all want others to be inconvenienced so you don't have to be...and then shockingly, don't like it when that behavior is called out.
First let me start off by offering you an apology. Things are tense and I took it out on you. For that I’m sorry.
And maybe I didn’t articulate my thoughts in the best way. While I know that in other parts of the country there are food deserts or things in a smaller scale, what I was referring to were how things are in my general vicinity because that’s what I can see and what I encounter. So in my area, all the stores, big box or grocery, all offer delivery or curbside. I want high risk people to be safe. I guess what I was trying to say was, if you’re high risk (and again in my area) why wouldn’t you want to lessen your exposure? So it’s frustrating to see people that appear to be high risk just casually shopping. It’s certainly their right to do so but that doesn’t mean that people aren’t going to scratch their head wondering why, if you don’t have to, why would you?

First let me start off by offering you an apology. Things are tense and I took it out on you. For that I’m sorry.
And maybe I didn’t articulate my thoughts in the best way. While I know that in other parts of the country there are food deserts or things in a smaller scale, what I was referring to were how things are in my general vicinity because that’s what I can see and what I encounter. So in my area, all the stores, big box or grocery, all offer delivery or curbside. I want high risk people to be safe. I guess what I was trying to say was, if you’re high risk (and again in my area) why wouldn’t you want to lessen your exposure? So it’s frustrating to see people that appear to be high risk just casually shopping. It’s certainly their right to do so but that doesn’t mean that people aren’t going to scratch their head wondering why, if you don’t have to, why would you?

I get where you’re coming from. Around here, the senior shopping hours were insane. Nobody was wearing masks or social distancing and people were generally being really careless. This was time set aside when the store first opened for those at higher risk to shop just after cleaning but it was a free for all! So it can feel a bit disingenuous to hear people shaming others about not wearing a mask to walk the dog to and to be a team player to protect the vulnerable when it seems like many in that group are the worst offenders.

I maintain my social distance, I wear a mask when requested (really anywhere indoors around other people or when other come to my car window), and I think next month is way too soon to allow the theme parks to open and have so many flock to our state/county. But I also think this thing isn’t leaving and we have to transition into people doing what is best for them. My comfort level is the measuring stick for what everybody else should do.

I may not have blind faith in those making the decisions but the teams of epidemiologists, medical advisors, economists, etc. have a much better picture and understanding than I do of the needs of the state and counties as a whole.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Honestly, I haven't changed a single thing about what I do since it all started. I'm forced to wear a mask at work when I'm not in my office which is about 20 minutes a day but that's about the extent of it. I get issued a new one every day and I throw it in the trash on the way out the door. I don't stand right next to strangers but I didn't before all of this so nothing changed there. I still go wherever is open, hang out with friends, shake hands, etc.

Just curious how everyone is going about it. I know a lot states are going to be entering Phase 2 soon. I’m honestly just tired of being scared. I’ve been laid off since April 7th. April 8th, I went into the office to pack up my desk and I haven’t entered a business since then. I do grocery pick up or drive thru. I understand the severity of the virus and so I think I have every reason to feel scared, but it’s exhausting! Just last week, I finally got out of the house and visited a co-worker. I was nervous entering her home, but it was so nice and natural to be communicating face to face with her again. But because of the same paranoia, I immediately showered when I got home. Last Friday I visited another friend and did the same. It’s a frustrating feeling really. I see folks on social media having parties, cookouts, get togethers etc and I’m jealous. Idk, just a funny space to be in yet indescribable. Tonight, I picked up my friends daughter for her at a half way mark between here and her stepmoms. The daughter went on vacation with her stepmom, sisters etc. After I volunteered to pick her up, it dawned on me that I’d be confined in a car with her for over an hour after she’s been around a lot of people over the weekend. I had my mask, but couldn’t bring myself to wear it, so I knew I was risking myself to possible exposure. I’m quarantined with my parents and my mom has been asking if I’ve worn my mask after I’ve come home (the 3 times I’ve met with friends) and at this point, if I’m gonna be asked that every single time, I might as well stay at home until breaking news of Covid disappearing comes about 😂😂
Also will say, I know to each their own, but was just curious on everyone else’s stance. Think at this juncture we all know we risk it stepping out the door and we have to do what’s best for us.
I'll be honest it's pretty lax around here. All my kids friends have been asking for them to come over, outside kids are all playing together etc. (many of these families havr drs and nurses etc.) Our numbers around here are pretty low comparatively speaking and I think folks are just done. We wear masks when we're out and about, but many don't. We just don't have a lot of ppl who even know anyone who's tested positive so I think it makes it harder to take it as super seriously as opposed to if ppl. had more first or second hand experience.

For our specific family none of us are high risk, which makes things a little less scary.

Honestly, I haven't changed a single thing about what I do since it all started. I'm forced to wear a mask at work when I'm not in my office which is about 20 minutes a day but that's about the extent of it. I get issued a new one every day and I throw it in the trash on the way out the door. I don't stand right next to strangers but I didn't before all of this so nothing changed there. I still go wherever is open, hang out with friends, shake hands, etc.

And Honestly, well, I appreciate your honesty. It confirms to me that I will need to continue to be strong, and follow the CDC guidance while this novel coronavirus continues to spread across the nation. I also don't believe all of the data coming out of certain states. My state, in NJ, yes, I believe that we're getting the truth when it comes to cases and deaths. States that opened up early not so much. It's interesting that in Florida, Texas and Georgia, well, things seem to be pretty much under control with respect to COVID right? However, there seems to be a *huge* jump in "pneumonia" deaths in all three of these states this year from February through May. Interesting....wonder why that would be?

I have been very strict. I go to one grocery store every three weeks, so that if I am exposed there is enough time for symptoms to appear before the next trip. We have community mailboxes, and I only go get my mail once a week, on Sunday when there is no delivery. So far I haven’t seen anyone else there when I arrive, but if there were, I would stay in my car until they have gone. That’s it. I haven’t gone anywhere else. I haven’t had take out or food delivery at all. The few packages of non food I have received are quarantined for a few days before opening. There is a huge retirement community just across the street from our development, and I feel a responsibility to the community to do my part in minimizing risk not only to myself but to them as well. It has been lonely though. I need to get some grass seed (too heavy to ship) and some other things, but I am giving it a few more weeks.

I know some of my higher risk co workers haven’t been as strict and I find that amazing. Our department has seven people and all seven have some additional risk factor, whether chronic illness, weight, age, etc. So far (knocking on wood) no one has been ill from Covid-19. They aren’t planning to reopen our office for another six weeks, and I do have some concerns about whether people will distance properly or not (we already know masks, and probably gloves, will be required).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter