How strict on pacing for Star Wars 5k?

discorsner

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have experience with how strict they are with the pacing requirements for the 5ks? I see that the required pace is 16min/mile. I have read for the marathon and half marathon they are strict and pick people up if falling behind which I can understand since some of the course is on roadways.

With the 5k course looking like it is all parking lot or Epcot park though I am wondering if they are a little more relaxed with those walking and falling behind. I've read conflicting things- some comments that you can't fall behind or they will pick you up and give you a ride to the finish and then others who have said that they have stopped and taken pictures with characters that have had 20 minute waits to see those characters on the race course.

I just want to know what to expect for someone who is just wanting to walk the 5k.

Thanks for any information!

If you are looking to walk the 5K, I don't believe you can. There is a 16 minute rule for a reason.

Yea I think they have a rule about walking the entire length..but I don't believe their too strict on the 16 min mile.

..however if you're doing a mile in 16 or more minutes, that would be basically walking the entire way. So I believe they don't want people to walk the entire length, but I'm sure there's plenty

Disney is not particularly strict AT ALL for the 5K. You will have plenty of people who go over the 16 minute mile, with photo stops, etc. In fact, the course is so crowded, that it's often hard to keep up a 16 minute mile pace, even if you're trying, if you start in the later corrals. That said, Disney will "encourage" people to keep moving so that they can clear the park for opening, but there are no "official" sweepers like the longer races.

DH and I walked the Marathon Weekend 5K. We probably averaged 20 minute miles including one photo stop (short line). We were not the last people to finish, either! They will pick people up and transport to the finish line, but they must be moving more slowly than we were! So as long as you keep moving you should be fine.

I can't speak specifically to Disney 5K, but as a veteran of well over 100 road races, I can speculate even without a bus picking up the stragglers, what you might see is them closing up support services (water stops, timing equipment, etc) and I'd imagine characters. Possible even to not get an official time.

For fun I just looked up what the average pace in 5Ks. For men between the ages of 20-50 is around a 10-10:30 minute mile (31:30-32:30 5K). Women between 11-12 minutes per mile (34:15-37:30 5K). A 16:00 minute per mile get you in a 49:00 minutes. So you could see how your average runner could run their normal pace and still have a significant time to stop for characters (and some one who runs a 7 minute mile could have way more time.)

The runDisney 5K races are not timed. I walk them and so do tons of other people. The only way you'd get swept is if you had an injury or probably if you just gave up and sat on a bench somewhere.

At some point they do close the character lines but that's about it.

I can't speak specifically to Disney 5K, but as a veteran of well over 100 road races, I can speculate even without a bus picking up the stragglers, what you might see is them closing up support services (water stops, timing equipment, etc) and I'd imagine characters. Possible even to not get an official time.

For fun I just looked up what the average pace in 5Ks. For men between the ages of 20-50 is around a 10-10:30 minute mile (31:30-32:30 5K). Women between 11-12 minutes per mile (34:15-37:30 5K). A 16:00 minute per mile get you in a 49:00 minutes. So you could see how your average runner could run their normal pace and still have a significant time to stop for characters (and some one who runs a 7 minute mile could have way more time.)

Have to agree with this theory, as I haven't done any WDW 5k either, though I hope to. A 16 minute mile is a rather slow pace, that's an easy walking pace...it's about 3.5mph.

There are not many 5K "rules" that are applicable to the Disney races. They are untimed, EXTREMELY crowded, there are frequent character stops, and they are considered the "family fun" runs. There's really no way to run a 7 minute mile AND stop for characters. You'd be plowing through kids/walkers/etc when you tried to get going again. There are definitely people who run the races for time, but they are starting in the first corral and not stopping.

Honestly, the Disney 5Ks are really more of an early morning brisk stroll through Epcot than anything else. :rotfl2:

Edited to add: I've run most of the marathon weekends in the last 10 years (including the Dopey Challenge a few times), last year's Star Wars weekend, and a few other Disney events. As well as plenty of local races. I save my PRs for my local races and just go with the flow for the Disney ones - it's not worth the frustration of trying to weave around the crowds!

Last edited:
At the Disney Wine and Dine 5K this past November, my daughter and I walked the entire race SLOWLY. My daughter had just been diagnosed with shin splints, so she couldn't run at all. If we walked too fast, she started to hurt, so our pace was a stroll. We were in coral C, and I think there were two corrals behind us, so we did have some leeway there. We even stopped for a picture. When we saw Donald and Goofy out together in their Christmas outfits, we couldn't pass them up. That line took us 20 minutes. Even then there were still several people behind us. We were close enough to the back that we did see the golf cart following the last people who were also walking slowly.

The next day, my daughter also walked the 10K without getting swept. They did have a sweep point for that at the 5K mark, but again we weren't in the last corral.

Good luck and have fun!

There are not many 5K "rules" that are applicable to the Disney races. They are untimed, EXTREMELY crowded, there are frequent character stops, and they are considered the "family fun" runs. There's really no way to run a 7 minute mile AND stop for characters. You'd be plowing through kids/walkers/etc when you tried to get going again. There are definitely people who run the races for time, but they are starting in the first corral and not stopping.

Honestly, the Disney 5Ks are really more of an early morning brisk stroll through Epcot than anything else. :rotfl2:

Edited to add: I've run most of the marathon weekends in the last 10 years (including the Dopey Challenge a few times), last year's Star Wars weekend, and a few other Disney events. As well as plenty of local races. I save my PRs for my local races and just go with the flow for the Disney ones - it's not worth the frustration of trying to weave around the crowds!

Well that is all good to know! I admit I didn't know the specifics at all, just assumed it was a typical 5K. Seems like a nice way to start your day with a little exercise. Sorry for being a running nerd with the average times.

Yea I think they have a rule about walking the entire length..but I don't believe their too strict on the 16 min mile.
My last time at WDW for the marathon was in 1999, when RunDisney was a much smaller operation than it has since become. I remember seeing some honest-to-goodness racewalkers going through the MK. These ladies were probably doing about 9-minute pace, as I recall.
Quite possibly they were placing in the top half of the entire field.

If you are looking to walk the 5K, I don't believe you can. There is a 16 minute rule for a reason.

That speed is easily accomplished with a walk.

Disney runs are very open to walkers.

Well that is all good to know! I admit I didn't know the specifics at all, just assumed it was a typical 5K. Seems like a nice way to start your day with a little exercise. Sorry for being a running nerd with the average times.

Nice way to pay ~$100 bucks to start your day with exercise.

They do sweep but it is uncommon. They have to cut the course at some point but it is way over a 16 min mile. What you will experience though is that characters will no longer be in the course.

At some point a "sweep" golf cart will take anyone left on the course to the finish line so that they can finish. If at any point you stop by sitting they may take you off the course.

Also please remember it is not great to lie to much about your estimated finish. Sure get yourself a corral or two but don't say you can do an 8 min mile if you are close to a 16 min mile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter