How to become a part-time Disney travel agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a position as a Disney authorized Travel agent. It was not easy but I know the end result will be easy. I start the Disney school next week. I work for a travel company on the east coast. they do not supply leads - most don't. A lot is word of mouth by friends. but ANY decent company will also offer you the chance to not only book Disney but other travel as well. I looked at lots of companies and many wanted fees upfront for things that you should not be charged for. one company wanted 350.00 to hook me up with the disney online class but if they are authorized disney planners it is free to them from what I was told. Another one insisted I have my house rewired to accommodate an extra fax, phone line, and computer for me to use exclusively.

It is a matter of looking and finding a good fit. If you want more info let me know.

Cathy

congrats on your new position! I just wanted to chime in here and second what Cathy said and also what Kevin said. Number one, you shouldn't have to pay any money out of your pocket to start working. I'm a TA with a Disney focused online travel agency and work mainly booking trips for family and friends. I didn't have to re-wire my house or pay any money. I'm actually really happy with my agency as well because they do not require me to sell any certain amount of money per month or anything.

and what Kevin said is true.. you can go months and months without getting paid. Thankfully that's not an issue for me but don't think you are going to get in this position and make a ton of money. I'm not saying there isn't POTENTIAL to make money though... like a lot of things.. you get out what you put into it. If you really hit the streets and get your name out there eventually you can get to a place where you have a steady stream of clients, but it would probably take at least 6 months and more like a year or more to get to that point.

Good luck!!! :D

I have been thinking about becoming a licensed travel agent as well. While I realize that it is a low-commission career with 24/7 "office" hours, what I would really like to know is if there are any perks to being a travel agent? Discounts on airfare, rental cars, hotel rooms, etc...

I agree, I have never charged any of my agents for their certs. I also will tell you it is hard but very very fun. now working part time i would have no clue what that's like. i kind of jumped head first, but be prepared to have very wacky hours and no money coming in for at least a year. i started my agency when dreams wasn't hiring "believe me i bothered john and pete for months" or any of the other big guys so i made my own path and its worked out. but follow your dream and enjoy the ride. you will be surprised where life takes you when you do something you truly love.:thumbsup2

pigletforever said:
I just got a position as a Disney authorized Travel agent. It was not easy but I know the end result will be easy. I start the Disney school next week. I work for a travel company on the east coast. they do not supply leads - most don't. A lot is word of mouth by friends. but ANY decent company will also offer you the chance to not only book Disney but other travel as well. I looked at lots of companies and many wanted fees upfront for things that you should not be charged for. one company wanted 350.00 to hook me up with the disney online class but if they are authorized disney planners it is free to them from what I was told. Another one insisted I have my house rewired to accommodate an extra fax, phone line, and computer for me to use exclusively.

It is a matter of looking and finding a good fit. If you want more info let me know.

Cathy

Do you have a link for info on the Disney authorization school? DW is curious. Thanks.

I have been thinking about this too!! But if the local TA around my area aren't hiring, are there any good/great online TA that I could go through?? Also, how can I become a certifiable Disney TA?? I want to able to take those classes as well a become a certifiable TA. Anyone who has that information..I'd greatly appreciate it!!

It seems like a lot of you are discouraging people from looking at becoming a Disney certified travel agent only on the basis of the earnings side, noting that it's a sales job. I know you're being prudent and cautious about setting expectations, but I think most of us know it's a sales job, and that the income will be slow to start, and is 100% commission. That's something that people like me who truly want to do this, maybe part time to start, understand, and want to build a business with that in mind.

I think that many of the questions that I had about doing this, which I would love to do as well, have been answered, except for one, well actually two.

If someone does get on as an Independent Contractor with an agency, and pass all the certifications, does that person qualify for Disney (or other) travel discounts of their own? I'll admit, potential Disney discounts are a big factor in me wanting to do this, in addition to the sales job, Disney, and long term potential.

Second, do most agencies have sales quotas?

Thank you all for these great insights you've given so far!

It seems like a lot of you are discouraging people from looking at becoming a Disney certified travel agent only on the basis of the earnings side, noting that it's a sales job. I know you're being prudent and cautious about setting expectations, but I think most of us know it's a sales job, and that the income will be slow to start, and is 100% commission. That's something that people like me who truly want to do this, maybe part time to start, understand, and want to build a business with that in mind.

I think that many of the questions that I had about doing this, which I would love to do as well, have been answered, except for one, well actually two.

If someone does get on as an Independent Contractor with an agency, and pass all the certifications, does that person qualify for Disney (or other) travel discounts of their own? I'll admit, potential Disney discounts are a big factor in me wanting to do this, in addition to the sales job, Disney, and long term potential.

The questions you have would best be answered by your potential employer.

I think a lot of the responses were about making sure the OP had reasonable expectations and a clear idea of what the job entails.

So many people I talk with think I am off traveling getting free hotels, cruises and trips to Disney. The reality is if you are busy enough to earn agent perks, you are often too busy to take advantage of them!

Hi all! I am new here and I would LOVE for anyone that has info on becoming a Disney TA to message me!! Please! I realize it is a very demanding job, and I have read all the pros and cons... I am still interested... I would appreciate any help! Thank you!

I am very interested in this as a job as well.

If anyone has any valuable information I would greatly appreciate it!

I recently left Disney after 3 years in reservations. I've completed the College of Disney Knowledge, and I still have many contacts in the DRC organization. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am a native Floridian who relocated to Texas last year. I have been visiting the Disney World Resort for over 20 years. I would love to become a part time agent. Any ideas?

I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone know how to work for Disney officially? I don't want to work for a travel company. I want to work for Disney itself. I have an associates degree in hospitality, travel and tourism and I want to be one of those people who answer the phones when you call to book your vacation. Anyone know if these people work from home or if they work in a call center?

I heard there are online courses offered by Disney and then you take a test and if you pass, you could be considered for a Disney job. Not sure where to start tho.

I haven't read this whole thread, but does anyone know how to work for Disney officially? I don't want to work for a travel company. I want to work for Disney itself. I have an associates degree in hospitality, travel and tourism and I want to be one of those people who answer the phones when you call to book your vacation. Anyone know if these people work from home or if they work in a call center?

I heard there are online courses offered by Disney and then you take a test and if you pass, you could be considered for a Disney job. Not sure where to start tho.

They list job openings online. You might want to check it out. I haven't heard of any online courses. Maybe as part of the applicant process.? It used to be more like just applying for a job anywhere. You apply and then they interview you and see if you are Disney material. I assume it's still the same. Google Disney Jobs.

If anyone has applied recently chime in please

Dh and I sometimes talk of working part-time/seasonally at WDW when we retire, so I keep Disney Career in my favorite's so I can glance at it occasionally. lol They happen to have an opening for Call Center Representative listed. Good luck!

If I didn't mess it up, here's a link to the official Disney Careers website:
http://wdw.disneycareers.com/en/default/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter