How to care for a watermelon

mommytotwo

DIS Veteran
So my husband had our daughter plant watermelon seeds. We were surprised when the plants grew. We put them in the ground, and out pops up a watermelon. I have never grew one before so wanted to get tips on how to care for it. Do I give the plant a lot of water, do I need to protect the watermelon from bugs, the heat, ..... Any info. would be greatly appreciated. We are hoping this watermelon grows at least to a medium size, and we will be able to enjoy it.

Here is another watermelon question. How do you know when a watermelon is ready to be picked? We are not sure what variety of watermelon was planted so we do not know if we should pick it now-it could be a Thai watermelon which is a smaller variety. Or it could be a regular sized watermelon.

Watermelons require a particular amount of water on a consistent basis. The amount of water they receive helps determine their sweetness and makes them less mealy.

The main thing to protect watermelons from are viruses and drought.

Usually a watermelon that is ready to pick is white on the underside (the part that sits on the ground) and sounds hollow when tumped. (but I guess this depends on what kind of watermelon you have, not sure that this works for every kind)

What does it look like? Dark green with yellow spots, light green with stripes, barrell shaped or ball shaped?

Watermelons require a particular amount of water on a consistent basis. The amount of water they receive helps determine their sweetness and makes them less mealy.

The main thing to protect watermelons from are viruses and drought.

Usually a watermelon that is ready to pick is white on the underside (the part that sits on the ground) and sounds hollow when tumped. (but I guess this depends on what kind of watermelon you have, not sure that this works for every kind)

What does it look like? Dark green with yellow spots, light green with stripes, barrell shaped or ball shaped?

Thank you for the info. Heather.

The watermelon is a barrel shaped with light green stripes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!