• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to Donate Used Strollers/Highchairs?

katied

DIS Veteran
DVC Gold
We're about to move, and I'd love to donate one of my strollers and 2 highchairs used by my kids (all items are about 4 yrs old, and gently used, so I know they could have some good useful life).

However, Goodwill and the local charity resale shop have told me that MN law prohibts the resale of these items.

So, is my only option to put them in the trash? It seems so wasteful, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Any ideas?

We're about to move, and I'd love to donate one of my strollers and 2 highchairs used by my kids (all items are about 4 yrs old, and gently used, so I know they could have some good useful life).

However, Goodwill and the local charity resale shop have told me that MN law prohibts the resale of these items.

So, is my only option to put them in the trash? It seems so wasteful, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Any ideas?

Contact a local battered woman's shelter, or a foodbank (my local foodbank provides useful items like strollers, cribs, highchairs, etc in addition to food...they aren't selling them!)

Otherwise, contact your church or community group like that. They usually know people who can use help, and will be happy to point you where to donate them.

If all else fails: Craigslist or Freecycle (or in my area, out by the curb with a FREE sign on it).

Contact a local battered woman's shelter, or a foodbank (my local foodbank provides useful items like strollers, cribs, highchairs, etc in addition to food...they aren't selling them!)

Otherwise, contact your church or community group like that. They usually know people who can use help, and will be happy to point you where to donate them.

If all else fails: Craigslist or Freecycle (or in my area, out by the curb with a FREE sign on it).

Ditto this!

I find it diappointing that your state prohibits these items from being resold. :( We have taken strollers, high chairs, bouncy chairs...you name it baby items to our local goodwill/arc/salvation army, or to our local Once Upon a Child (gently used baby gear/clothes and kids toys and clothes). The only items they won't take are any on the recall list.

Good luck! I hope you find a good home for them to go to. :)

Do you have any community groups? We have Family Place up here and it provides services to families with small children. They have a clothing exchange and items like strollers and highchairs.

Thanks! These are great ideas. I'll make some calls today.

(BTW - out on the curb won't work by me - I'm at a dead end street, the last of only 3 houses, so no one drives by us)

We are in Ohio and Goodwill won't take those things here either. I put an add in Craigslist that they were free to whoever wanted to come pick them up.

Thanks! These are great ideas. I'll make some calls today.

(BTW - out on the curb won't work by me - I'm at a dead end street, the last of only 3 houses, so no one drives by us)

I actually have the same problem....when I go visit my Mom I take my stuff and my free sign and I put it at the end of her driveway (on a semi-busy road) and it is usually gone before our visit is over. Maybe you have a friend or relative you can visit, too ;)

One of my friends is part of a mothers group that does semi-annual sales of items like this. It's like a giant indoor yard sale. Maybe there is a group like that near you. Hers is called mothers of multiples.

Also - have you tried mentioning to friends/family in the area in case they know anyone who could use your stuff? Or maybe a daycare?

Before our last move, I donated many similar items to a donation center run by a church (they "sold" the items super cheap to those in need).

I would second all the above suggestions, especially craigslist or freecycle. The only thing I dont think has been mentioned is a pregnancy crisis center. I have one near me that Ive donated to. They take all kinds of baby and toddler items and give them to women that need them. :)

you could try calling your cities Early Intervention program, ours will take items and give them to parents that need them

Refugees! I don't know where in MN you are but I do know that many of the refugees I work with here have had many of the same relocated to MN. I'm always looking for strollers to help these families. One girl I know was lugging her 16 lb. baby 2 miles to the grocery store (and then having to carry the groceries home as well.)

PM if you want to tell me where you live and I'll see if I can hook you up with someone who does the refugee relocation there.

I have two places to suggest. First, is there a charity like Cradles to Crayons around you? That's in PA, but they take almost everything related to babies/kids and donate to those in need. Second, we also have Liberty Thrift, which is a thrift store tied in with a church. Little Liberty is just kids stuff, and again they appreciate the donations.

The bigger chains like Goodwill just throw this stuff out, ever since the legislation was passed by Bush. The workers have told me when I ask where it's gone. But the littler thrift stores seem to be able to get away with it.

Lastly, maybe a church knows someone in need?

I know the legislation is to protect our kids, but a lot of this stuff is in very good condition. When all else fails, or I want to get rid of something quick, the curb works for me... but it's nice you live on a quiet street.

Refugees! I don't know where in MN you are but I do know that many of the refugees I work with here have had many of the same relocated to MN. I'm always looking for strollers to help these families. One girl I know was lugging her 16 lb. baby 2 miles to the grocery store (and then having to carry the groceries home as well.)

PM if you want to tell me where you live and I'll see if I can hook you up with someone who does the refugee relocation there.

SUCCESS!!! Thank you very much dis-happy. I was running out of hope. I had called about 4 local churchs, and 3 local community groups, to be told no by all of them.

However, I went through the location you recommended, and they have an ESL student who is expecting and would love the stuff. We'll make arrangements for me to drop it off next week. I'm so happy this stuff won't go in the trash (I think I would have cried leaving it there, thinking of the waste)!

Thank you again to everyone for your suggestions.

I'm glad you found some one who will apprieciate the baby items.

I wonder when that changed. I remember when my my teens were babies, you could still buy strollers and high chairs at Once upon a Child.

That is really sad that you can't donate that stuff. Luckily for me, I was able to "donate" all my baby stuff to my sister. The few things she didn't take, I gave to a girl who worked for my dad and needed baby stuff.

I just hate throwing out perfectly good stuff that someone can still use.

SUCCESS!!! Thank you very much dis-happy. I was running out of hope. I had called about 4 local churchs, and 3 local community groups, to be told no by all of them.

However, I went through the location you recommended, and they have an ESL student who is expecting and would love the stuff. We'll make arrangements for me to drop it off next week. I'm so happy this stuff won't go in the trash (I think I would have cried leaving it there, thinking of the waste)!

Thank you again to everyone for your suggestions.

I'm so delighted to hear this! Thank you for your kindness and for taking the time and trouble to donate your baby things. :cheer2:

I'm so happy that you found someone to take them and extra happy that perfectly good items won't end up in a landfill. We bought most of our baby items off craigslist, not because we couldn't afford them firsthand, but because we'd rather buy gently used items and give them a life outside of a landfill.

I'm probably going to sell most of the stuff I bought back on craigslist when we are done, because it still all has lots of life left!

I often drop items at local daycares after confirming that it doesn't appear on any recall lists. Kinda reminds me of Toy Story 3! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter