How to encourage beloved family members to get healthy?

Asc341

Mouseketeer
Hello all,

Concerned daughter seeking advice as to how best to encourage my mother (69yo) and FIL (59yo) to care more for their health, by adopting a more healthy diet. Mom currently has arthritis in her feet and high blood pressure, but thankfully, nothing worse than that. Her doctor has recommended that she lose weight for her health (at this point she can't walk without pain, so her current ailments would be less burdensome, and it's also her best shot to avoid more health issues in the future).

What are helpful things that I can do or say that may empower them? What things should I stay away from, because they are more likely to hurt feelings?

Last edited:
I think it is nice that you want to help but the thing I have learned from my own change in lifestyle is, it has to be something you want to do for yourself. Others can't want you to do it. It wasn't until I made the decision to do this, and found what I loved to do, that I was able to do it AND stick with it.

You can sit down with your mother and express your concern but at her age, and the fact that she is dealing with pain, chances of her doing it are very slim, IMO. Does she love Disney? Maybe you could talk her into signing up for a Disney race WITH you. If she has to train to do it with you then maybe she will stick it out and fall in love with it. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, you can't cause change in others. I wish it were possible, because I have family members who also need to improve their health habits. One thing that I do recommend is that you offer delicious healthy meal options when you host family dinners. By doing this, I don't feel that I'm contributing to the problem. Your family members just might ask for the recipe! Overweight people do know what they need to do to improve health. I do wish your mom the best and hope that she and your FIL start to make positive changes to their health.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter