How To ESTA

I underatand that estas last for two years. I will be travelling to the states twice this year, once on my own (as part of a uni study group) to Chicago and once in June with my mum.
Mum should be straight forward with just one trip.
When I apply ill put the details of the Chicago flight in.....but what do I do for the June trip for me do I need to do anything extra??

Also.....silly question but when going through immigration in Orlando, can I go through with mum or do we have to go through as individuals?like can we walk up to the officer together as we are family?

Once your Esta is approved you can go in and out with it anywhere in the USA...it doesn't matter if you have put your flight details/destination etc on it in the first place. Yes you can go through immigration at the same time as your mum thats no problem. Not sure they would allow a huge group of people but two of you, no probs. Well we did it when a friend came along with us and they didn't say anything.:)

I underatand that estas last for two years. I will be travelling to the states twice this year, once on my own (as part of a uni study group) to Chicago and once in June with my mum.
Mum should be straight forward with just one trip.
When I apply ill put the details of the Chicago flight in.....but what do I do for the June trip for me do I need to do anything extra??

Also.....silly question but when going through immigration in Orlando, can I go through with mum or do we have to go through as individuals?like can we walk up to the officer together as we are family?

You'll only need to put the details of the first trip you plan on taking on the ESTA application, it then remains valid for two years no matter where you're going to go in the US. The ESTA is purely permission to travel to the US, but has nothing to do with actually getting in, that's down to the officers at port of entry. :goodvibes

Brilliant thank you so much for your prompt replies :) I get so nervous about the security side(even checking in, as I'm terrified of flying and the airport in general lol) of things in the airport I just like to have every thing perfect!

We are travelling on the 20th March and our forms run out on the 23rd March Do we need to complete a new one for our stay or do you just need a valid one for the entry?

Thanks for the clarification.

We are travelling on the 20th March and our forms run out on the 23rd March Do we need to complete a new one for our stay or do you just need a valid one for the entry?

Thanks for the clarification.

ESTA only needs to be valid for your entry date.
Here is the official wording:

My travel authorization is valid for travel to the United States but will expire before I depart. Do I need to apply for a new one before my trip?

No. ESTA travel authorization needs only to be valid upon arrival in the United States.

Taken from ESTA help page:
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/WebHelp/ESTA_Screen-Level_Online_Help_1.htm

Sorry if this has already been asked but there are a lot of pages on this thread, our esta runs out while we are away in April, we are hoping to go back to the world next year but nothing planned yet, do we need to renew while it is still active or just let it lapse until next year when or if we need it?

Debs x

You let it lapse for now, there is no continuation from one to another, when your current one expires you start again when you are ready to travel.

Anyone have any contact info with regards to visas? I stupidly have left it until last minute as its been a crazy couple of weeks and have just moved.

I did DH's and that was approved straight away, when I did mine I put in the payment info but had Internet connection problem and it stated error, when I tried to put the info again I stated I had already have an application in process, I found the application and it states it will be approved when payment is received but there is nowhere I can add any payment info! I have checked my card and they definitely haven't tried to take the payment.

Anyone have any contact info with regards to visas? I stupidly have left it until last minute as its been a crazy couple of weeks and have just moved.

I did DH's and that was approved straight away, when I did mine I put in the payment info but had Internet connection problem and it stated error, when I tried to put the info again I stated I had already have an application in process, I found the application and it states it will be approved when payment is received but there is nowhere I can add any payment info! I have checked my card and they definitely haven't tried to take the payment.

You can try their help files, or email them from here, but i can't see any phone numbers anywhere. It should be allowing you to restart the application from scratch, not sure why it's not. :confused3

EDIT: Is it giving you the message that an application with that passport number is in process? On that page, there should be a button for making a new application near the bottom somewhere?

ESTA Help files said:
If you are receiving an Error Message that says "There is already an application with that passport number in the system" it is because you have applied previously and have a valid application with more than 30 days validity. If any of the biographical information is incorrect on the existing application, the application is then invalid and you must click "continue" to proceed with the new application.

Even though your info is correct you would need this option to resubmit with payment info...

:goodvibes

We are travelling on August 17 2013.
I was just about to do the Esta's online and then thought it might make sense to leave it till about a week before we travel.
That way if we also go in 2015 which is possibility and went a few weeks earlier they would still be valid.
We have no convictions or anything is it ok to leave it till about a week before our flight?
Thank you.

We are travelling on August 17 2013.
I was just about to do the Esta's online and then thought it might make sense to leave it till about a week before we travel.
That way if we also go in 2015 which is possibility and went a few weeks earlier they would still be valid.
We have no convictions or anything is it ok to leave it till about a week before our flight?
Thank you.

I would myself if I was getting an extra trip out of it but I have done a couple before without issues, if it was my first I probably wouldn't.
They are only about £8 each and even if you have to renew for your trip in 2015 it will still be valid for 2 years after that, hopefully get another trip in.
Also take into account any passports that will be expiring. You need to get new a ESTA with a new passport.

Hello everyone!

I have a very quick question regarding our ESTA.

We went Florida last year, 3rd - 21st July and are going back in 2014, flying out on the 21st June and coming back on the 7th July. Will we need to do a new ESTA or will our old one suffice? :listen:

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I have a very quick question regarding our ESTA.

We went Florida last year, 3rd - 21st July and are going back in 2014, flying out on the 21st June and coming back on the 7th July. Will we need to do a new ESTA or will our old one suffice? :listen:

Thanks

You need to look at when you bought your ESTA's, its nothing to do with your travel dates.
If you travelled on 3rd July 2012 then you bought them on a date prior to that, if that date is for example 19th June then they will expire then they will expire 19th June 2014 and not valid for your trip.
On the other hand if for example you bought 22nd June 2012, they expire 22nd June 2014 and will be valid for your trip.

They only need to be valid for the day you enter the US unless you are leaving the country and re-entering, ie a cruise, then they need to be valid for the date you re-enter the US.

Did you print out your ESTA's? if you did there is an expiry date on there, if not you will have to go back onto the website and enter your details to find out.
I always advise to print ESTA's, last year 2 out of 3 of ours were not on the system, luckily I had copies to prove we had done them.

Hi sorry if this is covered I have searched for it honest :confused3

How far in advance should you do your ESTA forms?

If we travel in October 2014 am I better doing them about June time?

In theory you could ESTA as little as 72 hours before you fly.

HOWEVER, personally i would always do it months in advance just in case for whatever reason it declines you and you have to go through the process of obtaining a full tourist VISA from the US Embassy. Others will have different views, it's just my better-safe-than-end-up-throwing-holiday-away mindset!

:goodvibes

I did our first ones about 3-4 weeks before travelling. I was 99.99% certain I wouldn't have any issues. All went thru no problem.
On the other hand I have a customer who has just done his and he wasn't sure he would be OK, he used to live in the the US and a had a problem while out there. Didn't leave the US on the best of terms. He did his before he even booked flights to make sure they went thru OK.
If there is anything in your history then do it early, if not June or a little later will be fine.

Thanks for the replies, we have all been good boys and girls in the badger household :rolleyes1:lmao: so can't see it being a problem.

i think ill opt for the summer just to tick the box of it being done :)

:thumbsup2

I'm going the safety route and doing mine within the next week or so.

I have just one question. If I buy an ESTA, I don't need to apply for any other type of visa is this correct?

The reason I ask is when I went in 1989 with the rest of my family we were told we didn't need to but we still had to fill in a form when we got there. (My memory is a bit fuzzy on this though as I was 14 at the time!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!