How to get good airfares when not booking on-line???

klwdisney

DIS Veteran
I've been researching airfares for our (hopefully) upcoming November trip to get an idea what what we'd be paying. Here's my problem:

We are looking to maybe take a trip in Mid-November (10th-17th) leaving out of Boston (or Worcester or Providence). We've been saving in a savings account and would probably book our airfare only thru our travel agent (like I did last year). I'd like to get a really great fare - is this even possible by booking thru a travel agent? I'd really like to avoid using a credit card as they are pretty maxed out and we're trying to pay them off as we're hoping to purchase a house next year.

When should I contact the travel agent about booking airfare for November. I always do this way to early and pay out the nose. This time we've decided not to make a final decision about making this trip until later on this summer as we're not sure we'll have the money to take the trip until then.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!! :D :D :D :D

I really think you are cheating yourself out of the possibility of getting the best fare if you do not have the opportunity for an Internet-only fare. You can avoid the credit card issue by using a debit card.

Well TravelSheryl, as much as I'd like to try booking my own airfare, I just don't think it's in the cards for us. Like I said, both our cards are pretty much maxed and we really need to concentrate on getting them paid down so they don't cause a problem when we go to get a mortgage. And we also belong to a local credit union that doesn't offer debit cards.

Oh well... thanks though. :(

well if you already have the money then use that to pay on the CC and then use it that way. or give the money to a friend to buy them for you on their CC and pay it off that way. or book the tkt on the internet on usair, put it on hold and then go to the airport to pay for it. and yes it can be done...we do it here inpit all the time. in fact I just did it myself using a voucher........they may argue with you that it can't be done but yes it can! on usair that is......youmust use the usairways web sight however and print out the ressie and take that with you. if you use a regualr TA then they may charge you a fee per tkt to book air since they capped all the commission on tkts.

check with your CC as well I have the piedmont credit union and they have a debit card as well. but I had to ask for it.

Thanks for the advice :)

So then I guess that there's just no hope out there of finding a good airfare price going through a travel agent then huh? What if I go thru my AAA travel office?

When you call for airline reservations most airlines have a recorded message that states lower airfares might be available on their website.
Car rentals are difficult to impossible without a credit (or debit card) and difficult with only a debit card.
You could charge your airline tickets and immediately send a payment to the credit card company (you don't have to wait for a bill).
One reason the airlines offer their best fares through their websites is to avoid the commissions they pay travel agencies including AAA. That said, sometimes the fare difference is only $5-$10 but sometimes it is an internet only fare sale with significant savings.

OK Well thank you everybody for all your input and advice. I'll just have to figure out how we're doing this when the time comes closer. We wouldn't be looking to book/plan this trip until around August.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter