How to make your own Avatars/Icons

ShadowKittyKat

<font color=purple>Ailurophile</font><br><font col
If you really put your mind to it, you can create really nice avatars and icons to use on DIS. You can make them in programs as simple as MS Paint or as complicated as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

Let's use Microsoft Paint.

In Paint, hit CTRL + e. That should bring up the "Attributes" screen. Make sure it is set to pixels. For an avatar, make it 100x100. For an icon, make it 50x50. Remember that you can always make it whatever size you want, as long as it's 100x100 pixels or smaller.

Next, if you want a colored background, floodfill the blank avatar in the color of your choice. Now let's say you found this picture on someone's site, and you want to use it as a background for your avatar.
2qtg238.jpg

The only problem is, it's 100 pixels too wide. Copy and paste the picture into Paint. Hit CTRL + e again and set it back to 100x100.

You should now have something like this.
2zdmwi8.jpg

Now let's say you want a Disney character on your avatar. Go to a site like www.disneyclips.com and choose one. To open it in a new window, just click it. Don't worry about the size just yet.

I will be using this picture of Figaro.
29c9nqe.gif

Right-click your image and click "Copy". Open up a new Paint window and a Microsoft Word window. Paste your picture into Microsoft Word. Double click the picture and one the tabs up at the top, click "Layout". Choose "In front of text" and click "OK". Now, from one of the corners of the picture, drag inwards, toward the middle of the picture. Once you get it to a size you think will fit in the avatar, copy and paste it into the BLANK Paint window. Touch up your picture in any way you think is needed to clean the edges.

Now, using the floodfill, choose a color that is NOT on the image or close to any color on the image (chances are if it's near it, it's on it). I now have this.
43ort7a.jpg

After you color the background, go to your OTHER Paint window (the one with the cool background you picked). On the color selection screen, RIGHT-click the SAME color as the one you used in your background for your picture. Then copy the picture (in this case, Figaro), and paste it on your screen with the background. This was just so the white on the picture didn't show the background through it.

I now have this.
48cfur8.jpg

Next, let's add some text. The fonts I use for icons and avatars are mainly:

33a79ty.jpg

2zodobp.jpg

2cwliew.jpg

You can download them for free on some sites. Search Google for how to download fonts.

I'll use PF Mil. Pick a color that will look bold on the background. I will use the yellow-ish color from Figaro's tag. 04b24 and PF Mil should be set to size 6. You can experiment with Angelina's size. Type the text where you think it will look best.

And here is the finished product!
4h8duuu.jpg

You can make an icon the same way; just make it smaller.

If you need help converting an avatar you made into a GIF to make it fit under the size limits for DIS, send me a PM, because that's a whole other story.

Shadow

••••••••••••••••
UPDATE - for those with Microsoft Word 2007, after pasting your picture into Word, just drag it to the size you want and copy and paste back into Paint.

How do you change the font size to 6? Mine only goes to 8.

Oh ok. Well now...word isn't working. I can't find the Layout tab.

Do you have to use Word 2000? My Word 2000 doesn't work so I only have 97.

LOL well i can't find the layouts tab. This is the only tab I see:

That doesn't look like you pasted in a picture from the internet or from Paint. Make sure it is. See how it says "Format Object", and not "Format Picture"?

can i have a matching sig to my avater :)

Thanks,
cuteswimgirl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!