How to not have sore feet?

I also start Disney training several weeks before a trip. I start by simply making sure I hit my 10,000 steps on my Fitbit. If my daily activity isn't enough I hop on my elliptical at night.

I swear by my Adidas Boost sneakers. So comfy! I bring two pairs of sneakers per person plus a pair of sandals and flip flops. I switch off which shoes I wear and clean dry socks help immensely.

I have done multiple 2 week trips to WDW so there has been a lot of trial and error in my Disney foot plan.

I strongly support switching between kinds of shoes through out the day. I generally go between a new balance sneaker and 1 or 2 pairs of a brand called Sanuk. I like their yoga sling sandals which are great if your feet puff up a little later in the day. I'll also do one of their other closed toe shoes.

I am also always prepared to deal with any issues that arise right away rather than ignoring something and developing a blister or something along those lines. In my park bag I carry pre-cut mole skin to put on any spots that are rubbing. I also carry a little stick of anti chafing stuff that runners use. It's great for using on feet and anywhere else that might be prone to chafing (which is probably more of an issue in humid Florida). Additionally I'll always have an extra pair of socks and if I think wet shoes is a possibility, I'll bring a lightweight pair of flip flops.

With preventative care I've never found myself in too terrible of a foot situation. Elevating and soaking can help at the end of the day, but it's not something that do I every night. I try to stay away from prophylactic use of OTC meds just because my tummy is sensitive to them.

I have done multiple 2 week trips to WDW so there has been a lot of trial and error in my Disney foot plan.

I strongly support switching between kinds of shoes through out the day. I generally go between a new balance sneaker and 1 or 2 pairs of a brand called Sanuk. I like their yoga sling sandals which are great if your feet puff up a little later in the day. I'll also do one of their other closed toe shoes.

I am also always prepared to deal with any issues that arise right away rather than ignoring something and developing a blister or something along those lines. In my park bag I carry pre-cut mole skin to put on any spots that are rubbing. I also carry a little stick of anti chafing stuff that runners use. It's great for using on feet and anywhere else that might be prone to chafing (which is probably more of an issue in humid Florida). Additionally I'll always have an extra pair of socks and if I think wet shoes is a possibility, I'll bring a lightweight pair of flip flops.

With preventative care I've never found myself in too terrible of a foot situation. Elevating and soaking can help at the end of the day, but it's not something that do I every night. I try to stay away from prophylactic use of OTC meds just because my tummy is sensitive to them.

Yep! I carry a 'foot baggie' in my locker bag. Moleskin, Glide, & blister patches. My 'locker bag' is basically first aid & emergency supplies on steroids. Extra socks, contact lens supplies, etc. Well worth the $7.00-$12.00 it costs to rent a locker for the day.

All of the above helps! I wear Brooks tennis shoes and they are wonderful. Even though I am comfortable, I change them in the middle of the day with my Spirit tennis shoes just for a change. I can't wear sandals so that's out. REsting mid day helps too.

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that moisture-wicking tech socks are key to helping avoid blisters. Go to a running store and find a pair that works for you (I prefer the brand Balega myself).

Lots of good suggestions here! We change off with comfortable shoes each day, take a bath at the end of the night, elevate feet, take a break during the day, etc. The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned much is hydration. We always carry water bottles or a Camelbak with us and make sure we are sipping often. I think a lot of people get dehydrated and it makes their feet puff up! Make sure you are getting plenty of water!

I'll share with you what I do to avoid soreness (as well as blisters, swelling, etc.). I do think it depends, to some extent, on each individual person's makeup, how they walk, what they do in the day, etc. Regardless:

1. An obvious one, I always ensure I have a high quality pair of running/walking shoes. I ensure that they're broken in before I head out for a Disney trip. I have done a fair amount of research, and the brand I almost exclusively use now is Hoka. Comfort unlike any other shoe I have worn. I also highly recommended On Cloud. Both of them, in my opinion, are far superior. I also recommend actually going to a running store to discuss what you're looking for...you'd be surprised what information helps guide you to the right shoe.

2. Another obvious one, but we take breaks when possible. We tend to go pretty high octane on our Disney trips, so it's important for us to rest when possible. Mid-day (or other time) naps, sitting for meals and just occasionally stopping and sitting to take it all in go a long way towards reducing soreness.

3. Tape. I generally tape certain toes together to avoid friction that leads to blisters. I have gotten them terrible before, discovered what was causing it and isolated those toes.

4. Callous/Other Spot Coverage. I swear by callous covers/pads. They reduce the stress on those parts of your feet and stay on all day. Do some research to see what kind/cut/variety you might need, but these help me a lot.

5. Socks. I think this one is overlooked, but I specifically wear socks that wick away sweat. Your feet can absolutely overheat and the direct cause can just as much be your socks vs. shoes. This is especially the case if you decide to use tape, callous pads or other items that require adhesive. You don't want sweat ruining it! I also recommend bringing a pair of backup socks too, in case Splash Mountain or other attractions take a toll.

6. Another silly one, but I also do a little stretching/warm up in the morning. Once certain muscles and areas tighten up, it starts to affect the rest of your body. I always try to stay loose and get a little stretch going in the morning :)

Hope some of this helps!

A friend of mine recommended walking socks, which I had never heard of, but it turned out to be some of the best advice I've ever gotten. My DH and I swear by Thorlo walking socks. They have extra padding where you need it.

I also swear by some foot cream/lotion at night before bed - I like anything with peppermint in it. Soaking sounds like an excellent idea too.

I have a friend whose feet would always get sore after just half a day at Disneyland. So she came up with an ingenious solution and she never again got sore feet. She had them amputated. Now: I know what you’re thinking. Yes, it was expensive. But so worth it in the long run.
.... But then you trade sore feet for a sore bum. Not sure what would be more frustrating!

For all you Crocs wearers.....don't they make your feet sweat? They aren't a 'breathable' material so I'd think you'd end up rubbing sore spots on your feet from trapped moisture.

I have two pair, one 'plain' for gardening and one 'lined' for, well, winter gardening. The 'plain' pair allow moisture in and unless I wear socks I get 'rub spots'.
I wore my crocs on our 2nd disney day and it was great. I wear the Mary Jane style ones with socks and had no problems. My endocrinologist was actually the one who suggested them, because they actually touch the foot as little as possible, which helps with the pain from my hashimoto's.

Given that I live in chronic pain, I might not be the best one to give tips, but I wasn't in any more pain than usual at Disney, so there's that :earboy2:

1 - Alternate shoes on a regular basis. Sometimes that's mid-day, sometimes it's daily, but as everyone else has said you definitely need at least 2 pairs of shoes, preferably 3, that are all slightly different so they touch your feet in different ways.

2 - Change socks when you change shoes. Really. It helps.

3 - Sit when possible.

4 - Soak your feet at night, and sleep with them elevated, as needed.

The shoes I like are Skechers Go Walk and crocs.

What makes the biggest difference for me is simply being trained for it. Months before your trip, start walking and/or running in earnest. This is generally my main form of exercise anyway, but if I go on a Disney trip during a time when I've been slacking off, I pay for it dearly while I am there. You have to condition your leg and foot muscles to support all of the walking you will be doing, otherwise it is going to hurt, no matter what else you do.

For me, the best shoes are running shoes. The most cushioned, and most supportive type. (Though this may depend on your foot shape - get fitted at a running store, not a generic athletic shoe store. Even if you are only going to be walking.) I don't find that good running shoes need to be broken in at all. Now, that doesn't mean that you go buy a new pair that you have never tried before, right before your trip. But if a shoe has been working well for you for a few weeks/months, buy a new pair just like it right before you go. Personally, I find that a running shoe never feels as good as it does right out of the box. It's all downhill from there, lol! I usually bring both the new pair and the slightly older pair, just in case the new ones get wet. But otherwise, I don't find it helpful to switch shoes during the trip. My feet get used to what they like, and prefer to stick with it.

I know this is an older thread, and I haven't read it all the way through so perhaps someone has mentioned this already, but I find that the problem is NOT all the walking. It's the STANDING. Even those of us who walk several miles a day in the normal course of our lives can get very painful feet at WDW. For years I couldn't figure it out. Then it dawned on me. I'm a walker, but not a "stander". How often, when you are not at Disney, do you just stand still for long periods of time (and by that I mean, longer than a couple of minutes). I am not one to stand in long lines, and if ride has a posted wait of more than 25 minutes, I'll pass, but even 5, or 10 minute bouts of standing still can be very very hard on feet, especially when repeated many times over the course of a day. Shoes that are made for forward movement don't always protect us from the pain of standing, it turns out. I've learned that my more comfortable and reliable walking shoes are really not the best for the parks! Instead, what's needed is lots and lots a padding on the insoles. I've found that Sketchers are great for this. Not the "walking shoe" models, but rather, the comfortable every day models - they are cushy, and my feet finally don't hurt after a long day of walk/stand/walk/stand... repeat! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter