How to save money not doing the dining plan??

CatNipRules

DIS Veteran
Okay, so it will be just me going this time. I will be going at the end of August. We have always done the dining plan during our trips. Now, that it's not availble right now, what's the best way to budget my money? I'll be staying at the Boardwalk Villas for 6 nights. Just wondering the best way to do this. It's been a long time since I've not had a dining plan and not had to worry about taking actual cash.

Thanks for the advice.

Avoid sit down meals which you will save by not tipping. Order water instead of pop which is $3.29 now. Do quick easy breakfast in your room then do a late quick serve breakfast or even table service breakfast. Breakfast is one of the cheaper meals at Disney. Some locations at DS are on the cheap side. Earl of Sandwich, Blaze pizza,

I second the gift card idea. You could set an amount of money per day and buy that much in gift cards. If you’re not sure of what amount you should use, and you’re used to paying for the dining plan, you could probably search for what the dining plan price per day would be and use that as your guide. (Disclaimer: I stopped using the dining plan years ago because I didn’t find value in it based on how we vacation, so I’m not sure if the dining plan $ amount would be useful. Maybe someone else will chime in on this to be sure!)

If you can find gift cards at a discount that will increase your savings. If you have a Target red card (either the credit or debit card version), purchasing Disney gift cards there is (in my opinion) the easiest way to get them at a small discount. Automatic 5% off this way, with no researching or planning ahead required. There are other and better ways to get a discount, but this is a quick and easy one.

If you use the gift card idea, a tip I learned here on the boards is to use the Disney gift card website to combine your gift cards, and then carry at least one empty card with you on your trip. If you happen to lose your gift card with a large amount of money on it, you can easily go log onto the gift card website and transfer the money onto your empty card.

We are budgeting each meal..
We know that we are going to trex cafe looked at the menu do we have an idea ($20 burgers) we bought a landrys gc for this one.
Other meals we put about 50 for each lunch and 100 for each dinner on a visa prepaid. We were going to use Disney but did not want to put that much money on a disney card. (These amounts are for more than 1) Dollar tree has prepaid cards for $1

If you use the gift card idea, a tip I learned here on the boards is to use the Disney gift card website to combine your gift cards, and then carry at least one empty card with you on your trip. If you happen to lose your gift card with a large amount of money on it, you can easily go log onto the gift card website and transfer the money onto your empty card.
This was a great tip that I hadn't seen before. Thank you!

Since you're on your own, I would skip AYCTE meals and buffets. It's often a huge amount of food no matter how many people are in the party, and in my experience it leads to a lot of food waste. We've done the dining plan 3 times, twice with FD, and I've always felt like the portions at QS meals were just enough while TS meals (unless they're nicer, plated meals) were often expensive and way more than I could eat. Also there aren't that many TS restaurants with outdoor seating, which I would want in these Covid times. My favorite QS meals where I really got bang for the buck and there was outdoor seating are Geyser Point Grill at Wilderness Lodge, Docking Bay 7 at HS and Satuli Canteen at AK.

I admittedly find more value in TS meals because they're barely more expensive than QS and often better quality food, but unlike the DDP as everything is a la carte you can save money by skipping appetizers and/or desserts, and not ordering the most expensive entree on the menu (which I feel like people do on the DDP just to feel like they're getting the maximum value).

Yes, that saved me one trip. I accidentally dropped my gift card, with over $100 on it, into the garbage after my meal, along with everything else on my tray (you know how you go to the trash can and just let everything slide from your tray into the trash can?) When I later realized what I'd done, it was easy to correct and get my money back.

I usually get an appetizer instead of an entrée with TS and we rarely get dessert and when we do, we split it except Zebra Domes - no sharing allowed! We always have something to eat for breakfast in our villa, bring snacks like peanut butter crackers or dried fruit with us and only have one "meal" out. We often split QS meals, share a large soda rather than buying two and enjoy our favorite snacks rather than a heavy meal. We are DVC and typically have a 1 BR with a full kitchen. I order groceries for a couple easy meals, easy breakfasts and snacks spending about the same as a week at home so that is a break even. I pack things like pre-cooked bacon (I wonder what TSA thinks) and bagels and English muffins in $ store plastic shoe boxes so they don't get crushed. We average about $75 a day for two and that includes a couple nice meals. We've done the dining plan and even QS is too much food so this strategy works for us without much effort!

For me, just eat normally. The dining plans are way too much food, so going without one just means I eat how much I actually want to eat instead of stuffing myself to the gills all the time. That's why we've only ever gotten dining plans when they're free.

i travel with one other adult and we always go shopping upon arrival or before our trip to bring baggies of snacks. we will definitely be going grocery shopping prior to our trip this time just to avoid going into more public places in FL.
but we get about $40 worth of snacks and breakfast items and will divide them up and bring some each day into the parks.
we usually only eat breakfast at disney once maybe twice to get our disney waffles fix in. but other than that bringing breakfast items saves a lot, and with only yourself you could probably cut your grocery bill down even more.

if you are staying in a room that has a microwave, we bring
-oatmeal or pancake cups that just need water and a microwave
-granola bars
-dried fruit or fruit snacks
-some sort of salty snack that isn't chips (to avoid crushing in bags)
-lemonade or flavored water packets and an always filled reusable water

we try to avoid really sugary and sweet things, but that doesn't mean youd have to

this will allow us to eat relatively healthy and save money. I know eating healthy isn't always the goal on vacation but after 4 or 5 days of dole whips and churros we just don't feel great.
and even though it is most likely frowned upon now, having a granola bar in your backpack when hunger hits in a queue can really help.

As an alone traveller I would do quick service right now. It will save you time and money. Not having a set time to eat may work to your advantage. Park hours are shortened; so, I would use my park hours wisely.

Being near the Boardwalk you have options for table service after you get done with the parks. If you feel you want to do table service that is what I would do after I'm done with my park for the day.

--Research huge snacks, side orders, and apps.
When I stayed at POP, I only ordered a side of eggs and a fruit for breakfast. Portion of eggs was huge! Kept me full until lunch. People also like to go to Yak n' Yeti and order the side fried rice for a meal.

--Consider bringing your own food or ordering groceries.
I have never done this, but I know plenty of people who do. You can easily bring non-perishables with you like bread and PB&J, cereals and just purchase milk from the gift shop. Also have water delivered to you.

--Some Kid's entrees are huge.
If you can manage, I find sometimes the kid's entrees are big enough for me.

--Budget meals ahead of time.
My family loves sitting down after a long, hot day in the park to a sit down meal. We opt to choose TS restaurants with moderate prices and overall good value. I would suggest The Wave, Kona Cafe, and Coral Reef Restaurants as fitting those characteristics. Of course, price and value can only be judged by your budget and preferences. Also consider ordering only an entree and perhaps not the most expensive one. I know when my family does do the DDP, we tend to go for the pricier items to compensate for the plan.

Okay, so it will be just me going this time. I will be going at the end of August. We have always done the dining plan during our trips. Now, that it's not availble right now, what's the best way to budget my money? I'll be staying at the Boardwalk Villas for 6 nights. Just wondering the best way to do this. It's been a long time since I've not had a dining plan and not had to worry about taking actual cash.

Thanks for the advice.
I would also consider getting groceries delivered by Garden Grocer, in case there really isn't much open to eat. (At least snacks and tide you over food.) I use them most times I go to WDW for the extras that I like to have at night etc. They work out really reasonable.

In addition to not getting appetizers/desserts if you don't really really want them, I would add that alcohol is one of the biggest expenses at a lot of these meals. If you keep an eye on your booze intake, it'll also cut your bill down quite a bit. I would also suggest skipping the buffet meals at the moment unless it's one you know you really love; particularly without characters, it's probably not worth the price.

Honestly, we priced out DDP a couple times and found that, while the value would be worth it for what you get versus what you pay, it was still quite a bit more than we would eat if left to our own devices. Unless you're the type of person who always goes for three courses and a drink and the most expensive entree, and unless you're the type of family where each person needs their own appetizer and dessert in addition to the meal (instead of sharing some things), you'll likely end up coming out ahead - or at least breaking even - compared to what you would pay for DDP. It also makes it easier to eat a few snacks instead of a meal, which especially at EPCOT is really awesome.

One of the things you might want to do is take a look at the menus online for a few of your go-to favourite restaurants, places you know you'll want to go. Look at what you and/or your traveling companions would normally order if there's no plan involved, just what dishes you would want. I usually do that for 3 sample days - 2 at parks and 1 resort day - and build the budget around that estimate. You don't have to do it for the entire trip or force anyone to stick to the entree choice they made hypothetically months ago or anything, but just to get an idea. Then if you want to put that on gift cards or keep track via MagicBands or whatever, handle that how you like.

- Order kid meals if you aren't that hungry. Some of them are really good portions (and sometimes are healthier). For example, I remember at one of the resort food courts I would order one of the kids breakfast combos, which was two Mickey waffles, two pieces of turkey bacon, and some strawberries. This was enough for me! Sometimes the lunch and dinner kids meals come with pre bagged apple slices, baby carrots, or grapes and I sometimes stick them in my bag and snack on them later.

- If you aren't much of a breakfast person, bring from granola bars with you and just eat that. You can also bring/order mini boxes or bowls of cereal and eat that dry or grab a milk box from the quick service. I haven't done this yet at Disney, but recently I've seen seeing a lot of single-serve cups of instant oatmeal you can just add hot water too. I've actually done this for early flights at the airport (pre covid) and you can usually get a free cup of hot water from coffee places. I'm sure at Disney you can get them from the quick services, and you might be able to use an in-room coffee maker if you have one. Same advice for cups of instant ramen.

- If you have the ability to do so, pack or order bread and peanut butter and plastic baggies and have a PB sandwich in the parks for lunch.

- Bring your own snacks. Granola bars, trail mix, individual bags of chips or other snacks, etc.

- Bring your own reusable water bottle! This is a big one. There are water fountains everywhere (although I heard some around the parks have been shut off) and you can ask for a free glass of water and ice from all the quick services. Just fill up your own bottle. Also, in general remember to drink lots of water!

- This might be controversial, but if you are looking to save money I say skip stuff like the Food and Wine festival. Yes, it's fun to sample everything but you pay relatively a lot for small portions. Instead of spending $20 on 3-4 little portions, I rather spend $10 at a quick service for a decent sized sandwich.

I don't know if you are like me, but when I am on the dining plan, I always feel like I should go to certain restaurants to maximize the value of my credits. I never eat at cheaper restaurants and I don't go to signatures because they aren't a good "value" for my credits. So I am planning to take this opportunity to go to some of the less expensive restaurants that I like or haven't tried before. And then I am also going to eat at a couple signature restaurants. I will probably eat fewer desserts because I will only order them at places where the specific offerings sound good to me. And I will probably try a couple appetizers that I wouldn't have ordered before because they weren't included on the dining plan. If you are used to paying $75 per day out of pocket for the dining plan, you can get a lot of mileage out of $75 per day for yourself picking and choosing the things you most want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!