How To Slow Down?

It's really difficult to do that if you are naturally a fast walker. I often joke that after every 5 paces, I'll take 2 in reverse, so I don't lose the rest of my party.

I can't really help the OP, as I haven't found a solution either.

It does sound crazy to not say the obvious. Just walk slower. My DH and DD walk very fast, that is the way theyare. They have a really hard time slowing down, it's very unnatural for them.

I would see if your parents would be willing to use EVC's. They are really easy to drive with a little practice. Some one who has back issues, will enjoy the EVC.

Maybe I'm really bad at walking because I have trouble maintaining a slower pace and either speed up without thinking or stumble over my own feet.
I have observed repeatedly that it is often JUST as painful to slow a fast pace as it is to "have to keep up."<snip> but there really are people for whom slowing down is extremely uncomfortable.
What do you do after the fireworks? There is no way to walk at a brisk pace. Do stumble over your feet? It is extremely uncomfortable? Is it painful?

What do you do after the fireworks? There is no way to walk at a brisk pace. Do stumble over your feet? It is extremely uncomfortable? Is it painful?
Usually, I'll sit and wait and people watch until it thins out. It"s a different situation anyway because then it's just a shuffle with the crowd, rather than a walking gait. I do actually find at the end of the day that my legs hurt more if I have been holding back- none of it is insurmountable.

Like OP, just looking for a solution that doesn't require anyone to speed up or slow to a difficult pace. We all love F&W because my speedy daughter and I take the orders and are halfway through the line before the rest arrive and scope out a good spot to eat.

It took some time for me to adjust to others slower walking speed, but I have had a number of years now to adjust. Some things I have, or still do:
  • Walk behind them while looking at maps, checking wait times on my phone, just looking around and chatting. This makes me naturally slow down. I make sure not to talk in a way that I want them to go faster and let’s them set the pace.
  • I try to find things that are worth stopping to see, point out, to give them a possible break if I get too far ahead.
  • Plan more breaks tailored to things they would enjoy that breaks up any long walks. For my parents, it could be just stopping for a snack and sitting and people watching.
  • I also split up for small periods of time to “scout” ahead and set meeting places. It might be to find a parade spot or grab some drinks so they are waiting when they catch up.

It's ironic; Just a few days ago my Dad come into town so we could go to his favorite Hollywood restaurant for his birthday. 88 years old. We walked the 2 miles from my house to the restaurant - and back. He walks a lot slower than I do and slower than he did in the past. I never even thought about it. I walked at his pace and we talked and commented on the local sights.

I guess for those of you who find walking slower extremely painful or stumbling over your own feet, that's something you will never experience. Strolling slowly with someone you care about.

It's ironic; Just a few days ago my Dad come into town so we could go to his favorite Hollywood restaurant for his birthday. 88 years old. We walked the 2 miles from my house to the restaurant - and back. He walks a lot slower than I do and slower than he did in the past. I never even thought about it. I walked at his pace and we talked and commented on the local sights.

I guess for those of you who find walking slower extremely painful or stumbling over your own feet, that's something you will never experience. Strolling slowly with someone you care about.
I don't think any commenters said it's something they can't do or have never done . I cared for my father after a broken hip and lower leg amputation. I volunteered at a local nursing home for several years. Two people strolling to dinner is very different than setting the pace for a group of multiple ages and speeds. A Disney vacation is usually a lot of walking for an extended number of hours per day and multiple days- it's the unnatural adjustment for that length of time (especially if you're the "group leader") that becomes difficult.

I appreciate the useful ideas offered by tobikaye!

What I've done is set aside times where I can really rush around, and then rejoin the group at a slower pace. As an example, hustle around MK for an hour after Rope Drop, and then meet up again with the main group.

That way you can do a lot, but still have a family vacation.

As the original poster I would like to say that this was not about being a jerk and power walking through the parks while expecting everyone else to keep up. Some people took this the wrong way I think.. it's not about speeding up or slowing down. It's about finding a way to stay together at all of our natural paces.

When I'm walking through the parks with my parents and I'm looking around there are a few times a day I hear, "Greg!". Not because I'm speeding along to the next attraction, but because they're a few steps slower and I may be concentrating on taking a video for Instagram.

There have been times recently when I have gone back to the parks at night without my parents I can feel that I'm walking faster. And that's OK.

I find that when I'm with slower walkers (and I'm no speed walker by the way), I tend to look around to make sure they are close. I'll also try to talk somewhat as we are walking so that keeps us close.

As far as trying to make everyone feel comfortable, I found compromise works well. At rope drop, I say I'm going ahead, I'll meet you later. Most of the day I just take it easy and keep with their pace. Sometimes the slower/older ones with us will say they are going to relax they will meet at this time at this place. It works out quite well for us. No one feels left out, rushed, or dragged down.

Can you get away to the parks at other times, say the evenings? This will help you to move slowly with your parents and not feel that you aren't having a great vacation time. Heck, I feel this way shopping with my Mom at Giant Tiger. Then I look at her and realize what a privilege it is to be with her. Besides I love Disney at night.

Wow some people definitely were rubbed the wrong way with this post.. I don't think OP's intentions were what some seem to think they were.

I am the fastest walker in my group and as someone mentioned above, my family appreciates it when i get to the restaurant first and can pick up an order or get in line. They used to appreciate it even more when paper FPs were a thing and i could walk ahead and get the tickets for everyone before they reached the attraction.

What i do is similar to what someone mentioned above-when i notice i am walking too fast i change to walk behind them. But also, I open up the app to look at wait times, show times, to mobile order food. I stop and take pictures. etc.

I used to hold hands with one parent - as that would connect us in the crowd, facilitate conversation, adjust my pace and make it special (my dad especially loved it). We would also do things like - I would go ride BTMRR and they would get us all a snack and we'd have it when I got back. I am now the one hurting as I have a bad back - and WDW is not as friendly as it was when I was bringing them. We used to have tons of benches, etc. to meet at or just use for quick breaks . . .now those are hard to come by.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter