How will I know when "it's time" for my kitty?- update post #22.

I'm really sorry you're going through this. As others said, you'll know- one day it will become evident. We lost our 14 year old cat last year. To be honest "that day" never came. He had lost weight and was coughing some, but our vet had told us as long as we still felt he had quality of life there was no reason not to give him some more time. The day before he was acting completely normal (well, his new normal since getting sick). He walked around, played with us, ate fine the next morning, gave kisses before I left for work. I came home that afternoon and found that he had passed on laying on my desk holding my Mickey Mouse doll (he loved stuffed toys). I truly think he wanted to pass away at home and didn't want us to witness it, since he must have been working so hard to seem normal in the days before. I'm glad he was able to get his wish, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Everyone was right: I knew. I knew he was sick, I knew he wasn't getting better, but he was still going, still snuggly, still eating a little bit and drinking. I got up on Wednesday morning, looked at him, and knew it was time. The luster was gone from his eyes, and he was just hunkering down for the long haul. I could tell. I called the vet on Wednesday but they couldn't see him until today (Friday). In that 48 hours, Potter went way downhill, to the point where he wasn't eating, wasn't peeing, and his hind legs wouldn't support him. We took him to the vet this afternoon, and while I am so sad... I am glad he isn't suffering anymore. The vets were kind and lovely to us, and the process was actually very peaceful. I held him until the end, and I am confident Potter knows how much he was loved. As always, he trusted us to make the best decisions for his care... and we did. Love you, Potty-cat. Rest easy. :sad1: :sad:

I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

On behalf of Potter, thank you for being there for him when he needed you most.

Everyone was right: I knew. I knew he was sick, I knew he wasn't getting better, but he was still going, still snuggly, still eating a little bit and drinking. I got up on Wednesday morning, looked at him, and knew it was time. The luster was gone from his eyes, and he was just hunkering down for the long haul. I could tell. I called the vet on Wednesday but they couldn't see him until today (Friday). In that 48 hours, Potter went way downhill, to the point where he wasn't eating, wasn't peeing, and his hind legs wouldn't support him. We took him to the vet this afternoon, and while I am so sad... I am glad he isn't suffering anymore. The vets were kind and lovely to us, and the process was actually very peaceful. I held him until the end, and I am confident Potter knows how much he was loved. As always, he trusted us to make the best decisions for his care... and we did. Love you, Potty-cat. Rest easy. :sad1: :sad:

I'm so sorry.

Sorry for your loss. Right there with you. We put our 13 year old Wheaten terrier down on Monday. She'd been slowing down, but we came home Sunday night after two hours out and we just knew. So hard. It's 8:30 on Friday night and I'm worn out. I think it's from the grief of this week.

Sorry for your loss. Right there with you. We put our 13 year old Wheaten terrier down on Monday. She'd been slowing down, but we came home Sunday night after two hours out and we just knew. So hard. It's 8:30 on Friday night and I'm worn out. I think it's from the grief of this week.

Hugs to you, quandrea, and thanks. I, too, am worn out. What was left of my strength after today just evaporated when I had to call DD23 and tell her that her sweet Potter was gone. Listening to her grief just broke whatever was left in me. I am drained, tired, and sad. This is the first time we've had to have a cat put to sleep. Thanks to everyone for your support- I knew it'd be hard, but didn't realize how completely drained I'd feel.

Hugs to you, quandrea, and thanks. I, too, am worn out. What was left of my strength after today just evaporated when I had to call DD23 and tell her that her sweet Potter was gone. Listening to her grief just broke whatever was left in me. I am drained, tired, and sad. This is the first time we've had to have a cat put to sleep. Thanks to everyone for your support- I knew it'd be hard, but didn't realize how completely drained I'd feel.
Take care. It will get better. I know how hard it is to tell the kids. My daughter, 13 was six months old when Sparky came to us. She has literally never known life without that dog. Lots of tears. She is doing much better now though.

:grouphug: So very sorry for the loss of your furbaby. He is now running free on the Rainbow Bridge, with the rest of the DIS family's departed pets. In time, may happier memories of the years spent with him, replace the sadness you feel now. He was loved, and he loved in return. I believe that's all we can ask of our pets. God Bless.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is so very hard. I still think of our cubbie. He went over the rainbow bridge in jan. he was18 and very sick. 2 months ago we got a kitten. Her name is belle. She's an orange tabby. Cubbie was a tiger stripped tabby.

Sorry belle is on my lap and actually sent the post before I was done. She's a nice addition to our family but she can't take the place of cubbie in our hearts. He was one of a kind. Berle has her own place in our hearts take care

I am so very sorry. Our old vet used to say "do an old friend a favor" which I think was and is the most difficult decision to make. No suffering: that is key.

i am so sorry.

You gave Potter a good life, leebee. He will be there, waiting for you. :hug:'s

rbowx.gif
Rainbow Bridge
rbowx.gif

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

www.petloss.com

www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!