How will the new YouTube content policy/COPPA reg be handled?

There are a ton of YouTubers who would disagree. Lots of people make pretty decent incomes with their channels. And even if they aren't making a ton of money from YouTube itself, their YouTube presence often drives customers to their other businesses. Pete has said many times that the number of people consuming the podcasts skyrocketed when they switched from audio-only to video. I'm sure that also equates to more business for the travel agency and more exposure for their advertisers.

There are many, many people who are millionaires solely because of their channel/presence on YouTube. In fact, just saw the other day that one kid's channel brings in 22 million per year, and that's just one that I can think of off the top of my head.

Everyone on YouTube today seems to be pimping their Patreon without even knowing how this is going to affect anything at all.

Everyone on YouTube today seems to be pimping their Patreon without even knowing how this is going to affect anything at all.
Patreon is one way YouTube artists monetize their work. I see nothing wrong with that. It’s voluntary and many provide access to extra content for their supporters as the DIS does. My daughter contributes to a few Patreon campaigns.

I would be shocked if DIS is not all just tagged as "Adult" content. Don't see this impacting them at all.

without much greater clarification as to what constitutes each of the categories, it strikes me that this could be a 1st amendment violation. watch the lawyers line up the first time the FTC issues a fine for this.

I have zero clue how it would infringe on the 1st amendment. You can say whatever you want but if you tag it to the wrong group you can be fined as you are setting if user tracking should be enabled.

I would suspect 99% of the channels that adults (18+) are watching are not going to be impacted except they are now tagged "adult 13+" content. Nothing youtube content creators like than a clickable thumbnail. "Our channel will be gone if Coppa is allowed" - knife review channel hahah (I made this one up but you get the point).

Yes there is going to be pain felt by channels specifically creating content for young children but they have been making their money by illegally having kids tracked by Google and paying for that traffic.

I suspect Google or another company will create a platform for content creators who specialize in content for younger kids. It will be a subscription gate to get through and money will be distributed based on view time with zero tracking of the users. Maybe like an add-on to YouTube Premium or something.

Ultimately, our stance on it moving forward is "does this appeal to kids" versus "is this directed at kids." Like many others in our community, nothing we do is targeted directly at kids. Some videos are made knowing that kids will rack up views, like Playhouse Disney, Princesses... However, many fall into the grey area like parades and shows that are meant for all ages, but clearly still can appeal to children, because of the inclusion of characters and music.

It doesn't really matter what our intention was, but more or less what the outcome is and many people don't want to be honest about who they are appealing to, because they are afraid of it will kill revenue and it might end up doing so. I know at least two vloggers that would probably say they don't target children and they appeal to all ages, especially adults, but then they get swarmed by kids when they are seen in the parks. That raises the question, did the kids discover the personality and the parents decided to watch too or vice versa?

YouTube is complicated. If a video is short, but generates 30k in a few hours then it might still make only a hundred bucks, but if the same happens for a 30 minute plus video it can be 3-4x that. It's the same idea if a 5 minute video gets 500k views vs a 20 minute video getting 500k views. Big views don't always guarantee lots of money, especially when a lot of views are driven with content that contains copyrighted music in the Disney world of things.

All that being said, COPPA will primarily affect YouTubers who rely on YouTube. We do not. It helps us advertise Dreams and other partners on DIS Unplugged and provides helpful trip planning info on The DIS side. It helps us offset costs, but that's all. If you're a YouTuber that makes enough to get by without needing a second job then it might mean they have to go back to doing YouTube as a side job instead of full time. If a YouTuber makes enough to have a very comfortable life, it might mean cutting back on some expenses that they could previously afford.

At the end of the day, it might not end up affecting anyone. Some people will be like us and opt for being safe versus sorry and others will just risk it to not have an impact. It is all so vague still that no one is positive about anything. I don't want to be the first person to get a fine though. YouTube won't be issuing fines, so it could be a thing like back in the late 90s early 2000s with music piracy and hearing about some people you know getting a fine, but most people don't and still continue to do it anyways. If anyone is going to get hit, it's going to be the people with high subscribers ignoring the regulations or channels with videos that have millions of views that are clearly marked incorrectly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter