How would GAC accomodate this?

dragonstarr

Earning My Ears
Hello, let me begin by saying that we are not looking for a front of the line pass, even if one did exist. Here is the situation. My friend has cerebral palsy. He uses crutches to get around, and his wheelchair once in a great while. Because of this, he cannot stand for long periods of time. Also, he has a couple of blown disks, so he cannot sit for very long periods of time. So, basically, he can't stand for more than 20-30 minutes and he can't sit for more than 30-45 minutes because if he does his back will go out. He could sit for a while, but then he has to get up and when he gets up, he has to be able to walk around to work his muscles and get the blood flowing. We plan on taking his wheelchair and crutches to the parks. My question is: How can a GAC accomodate his needs? He could wait in line in his chair, but as I said, after about 30 minutes, he would have to be able to have room to walk around. Would a GAC atleast enable him to get back in line where he was?

He should go to Guest Services in any of the parks, explain his needs and ask what assistance they can provide.
Depending on when he is going, he may find that the waits are not as long as he expects. Even during real busy times, there are things you can do to minimize the wait in line - such as going early in the morning.
There is also an Information Board at everry park. The CMs there can help with figuring out where to go and when to avoid waits. For example, Spaceship Earth is often an hour wait in the morning, but by late afternoon, it is pretty much walk on. Books like the Unofficial Guide can help figure out the best times to see various attractions.

You friend can also alternate walking and using the wheelchair. Some people use their wheelchair to get to the attractions, but then get out and walk in line - ask the CM beffore getting into line if the posted wait is accurate. You may also want to ask about the distance. Some attractions like Pirates, Kilomonjari Safari and It's Tough to be a Bug may have a short wait, but you have to walk a long distance to get from the entrance to the queue to the boarding area.

I have a friend who had both her knees replaced and was in the same situation. While she was unable to walk the entire length of the line, she used the chair mostly then got behind it and pushed it in front of her the rest of the time. Since the lines keep moving, she was able to walk enough to get rid of the stiffness and pain but not so much as to wear herself out.
Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter