How would this work??

kkayluvsdis

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,

We have a trip planned for the end of this coming April. We are having trouble figuring out our flight for the day we are supposed to be checking in. The times are horrible and the costs are high. I'm kicking around the idea of taking a later flight out the night before and adding a night on to our vacation. However, when I called Disney to see about doing this they tried to rebooked the entire package at which there was nothing available in the room category at POR that we are currently booked. Would it be possible for me to do a separate reservation for that one night? How much of a pain would it be to stay at a different resort? (Thinking we might save some money to stay at a value resort) As far as luggage goes is it difficult to get everything transferred over? How transportation-wise would we get to POR the next day to check in there?

I'm sure this can be done so I'm asking you wise DISers for your help ;)

Thank you!

-Kelly

This is exactly what we did last year.

We had a package at BLT booked, then decided to fly down the afternoon before. We just booked a room only reservation at POR.

The next day, we called bell services. They came to our room to get our luggage, and we just asked for it to be transferred to BLT (later that afternoon, we called bell services at BLT, and they brought it up to our room).

The most annoying thing was that we had to check in at BLT before hitting up MK because we needed to activate the package. We should have taken a taxi, but we ended up boarding a crowded bus to the MK, then walking to BLT. Annoying, but we still had time to make it to rope drop. Then it turned out we had been chosen to test Magic Bands, but the test had been delayed. The CM had to cancel and rebook our package to get the computer to issue KTTW. We missed rope drop, and we started our day more frustrated than expected.

If you are staying at a value and need to get to POR the next morning, I recommend taking a taxi.

In hindsight, we wish we had chosen the cheapest room closer to BLT. My biggest reason for booking POR was the price.

Hi Everyone,

We have a trip planned for the end of this coming April. We are having trouble figuring out our flight for the day we are supposed to be checking in. The times are horrible and the costs are high. I'm kicking around the idea of taking a later flight out the night before and adding a night on to our vacation. However, when I called Disney to see about doing this they tried to rebooked the entire package at which there was nothing available in the room category at POR that we are currently booked. Would it be possible for me to do a separate reservation for that one night? How much of a pain would it be to stay at a different resort? (Thinking we might save some money to stay at a value resort) As far as luggage goes is it difficult to get everything transferred over? How transportation-wise would we get to POR the next day to check in there?

I'm sure this can be done so I'm asking you wise DISers for your help ;)

Thank you!

-Kelly

I would make a RO reservation for the extra night instead of going through the hassle of trying to rebook a package. You'll find a lot of people who do the same, myself included if something unexpected pops up. Luggage transfer can be done one of two ways: let bell services transfer the luggage to the new resort or take the luggage in the taxi with you. I've always let bell services transfer mine and once you're assigned a room you can call and have them bring up the bags. Transportation-wise, a taxi would be your best option, otherwise you would need to take a bus to a park and then another bus to the new resort.

You can definitely book a RO and then transfer, but another option would be to book the Hyatt at MCO for your arrival night, then get up and hit an early ME bus to POR. This works really well if your flight is in the evening and you won't get much done on property any way.

Do they have other categories available? The easiest would be to stay at the same resort. However it might be cheaper to stay at a value and taxi over to POR as others have mentioned. Once you book something you can check back to see if anything has opened up in your category.

Good luck hope it works out well

I agree with the others that I would book RO somewhere else or book a different category at POR, as dswift suggested. I would also keep checking to see if a room becomes available in the category you have booked, as adding that night to your package would be the easiest (IMO). Good luck.

You could also book that first night at the hotel in the airport...get up in the morning and hop on the ME to POR.

Thank you ALL!! We did discuss booking a room at the airport hotel but I was disappointed at the cost of the rooms there! It really only makes sense to go down a night before if we can actually still save money over the original check in day flight. I don't like the idea of having to get a taxi or bounce around to the parks just to get to POR. Maybe we could take bus to DTD and take the boat to POR. That would be a nice way to start off our vacation:goodvibes

Have you checked flights out of Manchester, NH? I'm paying $912 round trip for 4 of us in June, all taxes included and 2 free bags each on Southwest.

Have you checked flights out of Manchester, NH? I'm paying $912 round trip for 4 of us in June, all taxes included and 2 free bags each on Southwest.

That's amazing! I have been constantly checking the Southwest flights out of Manchester as well. Unfortunately, for our dates the flights are significantly higher than even the highest JetBlue flights out of Boston.

BTW...my husband and I are both from Maine :)

I have decided to do this also on my next trip. We rented points for the AKL and so far I have been less than thrilled with flight times. I am traveling with a 2yr old and I started to think a arrival time of 12 and with a nap needed im sure Monday is now a wasted day. I want to take the evening flight Sunday and check in one night at an all stars maybe swim and explore the resort get an early night sleep to be up and out first thing to check into AKL. :thumbsup2

You can definitely book a RO and then transfer, but another option would be to book the Hyatt at MCO for your arrival night, then get up and hit an early ME bus to POR. This works really well if your flight is in the evening and you won't get much done on property any way.

If we did decide to stay at MCO the night before our WDW check in how would it work with our checked luggage? Would we have to claim it at MCO and take it with us on the Magical Express in the morning or if we had the POR luggage tags on it would they still take it over to POR and hold it until we check in? Any thoughts?:confused3

If we did decide to stay at MCO the night before our WDW check in how would it work with our checked luggage? Would we have to claim it at MCO and take it with us on the Magical Express in the morning or if we had the POR luggage tags on it would they still take it over to POR and hold it until we check in? Any thoughts?:confused3

You would have to claim your bags when you arrive and take them to your room. In the morning, you would take them with you on ME.

So, we ended up booking a flight out the night before our original vacation start date. I can get a decent price (better than with Disney) by booking a room only reservation through Orbitz. I'm just concerned that this might be confusing when it comes to scheduling the ME? Would we still be able to have our luggage handled through Magical express service? Will it "look" like we need service on both the original check in date and then the day before? Since I will have two reservations??

I am probably over-thinking this....

Thanks again for all your help!:goodvibes

So, we ended up booking a flight out the night before our original vacation start date. I can get a decent price (better than with Disney) by booking a room only reservation through Orbitz. I'm just concerned that this might be confusing when it comes to scheduling the ME? Would we still be able to have our luggage handled through Magical express service? Will it "look" like we need service on both the original check in date and then the day before? Since I will have two reservations??

Just call ME and tell them your flight info...it won't be a problem.

Orbitz will have info on exactly how to do ME for that day. Unless it's changed it will be a very simple website. Just do the MD for arrival.

For your other reservation, just call them and only set it up for departure.

Bell Services will still be fine with transporting your stuff from Resort 1 to Resort 2. NOTE: your stuff will be available after *official* checkin time. If you have anything you will need for that day, keep it with you. Bathing suits, medication, tickets, sunscreen, everything you need, have it with you. You will NOT have access to it at all if you have Bell transport it during the day.

As for luggage on ME, you can only have them take it if you arrive before 10pm. After 10pm you have to transport it yourself.

When we did a split stay, we would have bell services get our luggage from hotel "A" and we would head out to one of the parks. When we were ready for our afternoon break, we'd hop on the bus to the new hotel. We'd check in, and then call for our luggage to be brought up. Worked out great! Just a thought...

The ME booklet Disney sends out has a direct phone number for ME. I have found that to be the best way to make changes. Let them know you will only use ME one way for each reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter