Update on Page 2: How Would You Announce a Threatened Pregnancy?

Wishing you a safe pregnancy. I had raging all day sickness during my first pregnancy. The only things that helped were crystallized ginger, Preggie Pop drops, Ginger Ale and Sprite. I also ate a blander diet than normal including a lot of food on the BRAT diet. Make sure you stay hydrated as best you can. If you feel that you aren’t able to stay hydrated or aren’t gaining properly because of the puking, contact your OB or midwife ASAP.

If you’re having heart burn or reflux with your morning sickness, like I did, avoid acidic foods such as tomato sauce (bananas are your friend) and sleep with your upper body elevated. A recliner is ideal if you have access to one. Ask your doctor if you can take Gaviscon because it’s usually more effective than Tums.

Announce like that if you want but you also don't have to if you don't want to. Sending lots of love and warm wishes.

I would share the news with anyone you would likely tell if you miscarried anyway.

Congrats on the pregnancy and prayers for a safe healthy baby!

I also had this with my son who is now 2 years old. They didnt find it until 15 weeks and said that it was a risk but being in my second trimester they were not as concerned as if it was my first. It was scary to hear all that. Everything went fine thank God and I hope you have the same outcome

Thank you for sharing your story, and I'm so glad you had a happy outcome. The ultrasound tech said nothing about it, and then when we went back the nurse practitioner quickly started talking about it and restrictions. She sounded pretty positive about the situation, but then when I read her office notes they were less cheery. I go back in a week for another ultrasound and appointment, so we'll see if things are better and I'll be able to get a second opinion of sorts because I'm seeing a different provider in the practice.

I don’t know your religious background but St Gerard Magella is the patron saint of difficult pregnancies. I know several families who invoked his prayers in conceiving and having safe deliveries. Just Offering some suggestion of what has brought myself and some friends comfort Best thoughts and prayers.

I'm a protestant Christian, so I only believe in praying to Christ as an intercessor, but I sincerely appreciate that you cared enough to take the time to share this information. :grouphug:

The only person I tell I’m pregnant in the first trimester is DH, until I hit 12 weeks I consider it a maybe baby. A close friend of mine had what you have, everything worked out fine. Good luck! Actually I think I told earlier with my 4th because it was twins and I really started showing, but regretted it after learning about disappearing twin syndrome, but it worked out okay.

Thank you for sharing your friend's story. I'm so glad both you got to take both of your twins home.

I just went through this. (The threatened pregnancy, not the subchorionic hematoma.) I more or less treated it as I did my previous, normal pregnancy. I didn’t make any big announcements to extended family or friends, with the intention of waiting until I was further along into the second trimester and had a better idea of how things were going to go, but that’s how long I would’ve waited in any case. I individually told the people closest to me (and the DIS :laughing:) as I normally would, just with the additional info about it being at risk. When things didn’t work out, I didn’t have to go back and “undo” my announcement because the few people who knew were the ones close enough to be following along with my progress every step of the way.

Good luck! I think subchorionic hematomas are fairly common.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for sharing.

I had the same thing with my first pregnancy and my OB never made it sound like something that could end the pregnancy, it was just something that would resolve on its own. I did need to get a RHOgam shot because I was RH-. If your doctor told you that you have a big chance of a loss then I may keep the pregnancy on the down low, or you can just announce it and be positive and happy and hope for the best. Your chances of maintaining the pregnancy should be better than not. Congratulations!

In person she was pretty positive, saying things like they "normally resolve on their own," and then talking about restrictions. She never uttered the words "threatened miscarriage" until her notes.

Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad they caught the RH- factor early too!

I had a miscarriage before my 3rd son. I waited until I was about 14 weeks to announce it publicly. Close friends and family knew by 10 weeks. I agree with everyone. You do not need to make an announcement unless you want to. Praying for healthy pregnancy. :hug:

Thank yo so much for your prayers and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had a very difficult pregnancy with my first son, we were told he had a 10% chance of living to birth. He is thankfully completely normal, but we waited until I was almost 7 months pregnant (and we knew all was going to be well) before telling anyone. I think folks just thought I was gaining a lot of weight!

I'm so glad your son hung on and you had a wonderful outcome.

I wish I had know about this. Excellent information. I had this same condition and my daughter is now 15. Hang in there. I found sharing with those close to me provided much needed support and actually lowered my stress. Everyone is different though. You need only share what makes you comfortable.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this condition, I'm so glad your daughter was fine.

You don’t have to tell others if you don’t want to. I waited till I was 12-14 weeks with my first because I had a prior miscarriage and was scared that the same thing was going to happen. That included my parents.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience and advice.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I’m not an OB, and don’t know the size or severity of your subchorreonic hematoma—but I do know that they are fairly common and I’ve never heard them talked about in terms of a “threatened pregnancy.”

I had one with my 3rd pregnancy. My OB was surprised it wasn’t causing me to bleed. I told people about the pregnancy as I did with my previous ones—a bit earlier in fact. I saw no need to worry anyone (and I myself wasn’t really worried either) about the hematoma thing so I didn’t mention it. I did tell a few family members about it after my 20 week scan when it had resolved.

Hang in there and try not to worry. These are really common.

Thanking you for sharing. I'm glad everything worked out for you and your little one. I've been spotting for about two weeks from the condition, and this first ultrasound was a "diagnostic" ultrasound and my first "real" ultrasound is next week. I don't know if my having symptoms is more cause for concern or not. Besides discussing restrictions, she was overall positive in the appointment and then not so positive in the notes, so that's left me uncertain.

My husband is just thrilled that there is a baby in there after so much bleeding, we were trying to prepare ourselves for the worst. I'm so glad the baby is healthy, measuring right on track, and implanted where it's supposed to be, I guess I just went in expecting the worst or to be told everything was fine, and I just feel this tempered joy from a more gray answer. But, I will take this any day over what I had prepared myself for going into that appointment.

Wishing you a safe pregnancy. I had raging all day sickness during my first pregnancy. The only things that helped were crystallized ginger, Preggie Pop drops, Ginger Ale and Sprite. I also ate a blander diet than normal including a lot of food on the BRAT diet. Make sure you stay hydrated as best you can. If you feel that you aren’t able to stay hydrated or aren’t gaining properly because of the puking, contact your OB or midwife ASAP.

If you’re having heart burn or reflux with your morning sickness, like I did, avoid acidic foods such as tomato sauce (bananas are your friend) and sleep with your upper body elevated. A recliner is ideal if you have access to one. Ask your doctor if you can take Gaviscon because it’s usually more effective than Tums.

So far I'm just debilitatingly nauseas all day, I haven't thrown up yet, but I think it's because I started nausea meds before the hypermesis could take hold. With my first I had weeks of all day unrelenting nausea that gave way to not being able to keep water down, I've even thrown up bile when I hadn't eaten anything. So, at 16 weeks, when I weighed less than when I got pregnant, a nurse practitioner started talking to me about medication options. I had always been told morning sickness resolves after the first trimester. I consider it one of the worst mistakes of my life that I didn't ask for medicine sooner. This time around I'm not waiting for the puking to start, for me the all day nausea that makes it hard to eat, drink, or function is plenty enough reason to take medicine. Right now I'm waiting for things to get straightened out with my insurance to be put on what worked last time.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and advice. I wish I had one person my first pregnancy tell me what I was experiencing was not "normal" morning sickness. I try to tell expecting mothers that I know my experience with Diclegis if they express that they're having a hard time with morning sickness, and encourage them to discuss with their doctor.

I, thankfully, do not have acid reflux in this pregnancy, so far. It was my first symptom with my first. Thank you for your advice, I know acid reflux can show up later on.

I want to sincerely thank everyone for their prayers, well wishes, congratulations, stories, and advice.
You've had a lot to process in a short amount of time. That's not easy. Sending you good thoughts, prayers and a hug.

Sweet PlainJane - first and foremost you are in my thoughts and prayers. Secondly, you do what YOU want to do. If you want everyone to know now scream it to the world. If you want to wait, wait. I think what I would do is scream it to the world so that everyone that knows you can keep you in their thoughts. Positive thinking works. Believe it. Take care of yourself and know we are all sending you positive vibes :love:

In your situation, the only people I would be obligedto say something would be my work colleagues and my boss.. Only because having this on my mind would in some way affect my work performance. Just so these guys who see me on a daily basis know why I am a bit off.

I'm in several assisted reproductive groups on FB, and almost all of us experienced an SCH during pregnancy. I honestly cannot think of a single person who miscarried because of it; it was always due to some other factor. Once I finally got pregnant, I myself bled nonstop from weeks 5 through 14 (bright red, often with clots). It was determined that I didn't have an SCH; we could see the blood moving on the ultrasound, but it seemed to just be coming from nowhere. I was just told to rest with my feet up as much as possible, drink plenty of water, and most importantly, no sex until the bleeding resolved. I have to say, too, that due to my "advanced maternal age" (40) at the time, my OB had to put certain things in her notes just to cover her butt - things that were never said directly to me because they weren't actually an issue for me as an individual.

Are you far enough along that maybe you can wait to announce until the 2nd trimester? Consensus in my groups seems to be that SCHs tend to resolve pretty early in the 2nd trimester. And take every ultrasound that your OB is willing to give you - I personally loved the reassurance. Lots of prayers and "sticky baby dust" to you! pixiedust::hug:

I'm in several assisted reproductive groups on FB, and almost all of us experienced an SCH during pregnancy. I honestly cannot think of a single person who miscarried because of it; it was always due to some other factor. Once I finally got pregnant, I myself bled nonstop from weeks 5 through 14 (bright red, often with clots). It was determined that I didn't have an SCH; we could see the blood moving on the ultrasound, but it seemed to just be coming from nowhere. I was just told to rest with my feet up as much as possible, drink plenty of water, and most importantly, no sex until the bleeding resolved. I have to say, too, that due to my "advanced maternal age" (40) at the time, my OB had to put certain things in her notes just to cover her butt - things that were never said directly to me because they weren't actually an issue for me as an individual.

Are you far enough along that maybe you can wait to announce until the 2nd trimester? Consensus in my groups seems to be that SCHs tend to resolve pretty early in the 2nd trimester. And take every ultrasound that your OB is willing to give you - I personally loved the reassurance. Lots of prayers and "sticky baby dust" to you! pixiedust::hug:

Thank you!

I have heard IVF is highly correlated with the condition. We conceived naturally and didn’t have complications for my first pregnancy, besides hypermesis gradvium, so this is new to me.

I’m looking forward to my next appointment. I think it will help a lot knowing what questions to ask instead of just quickly being presented with this condition I nor my husband had ever heard of, he at least had the presence of mind to ask how big it was. She didn’t give a lot of details on how it would be monitored or what I should expect. She just said it normally resolves on its own and told me all the things I can’t do in the meantime.

It has been comforting to hear almost universally positive outcomes.

Thank you again to everyone :grouphug:

For anyone who remembers, I thought I’d give an update. My little blessing is here with us now. I started referring to this as my “1 percent” pregnancy. I started dreading appointments because I was so frequently given the speech of “everything will probably be fine, but.” The theme continued up to my little guy’s birth where I had a rare late term pregnancy complication that then led to an even rarer labor complication.

But, I’m very thankful to say God brought us through some scary situations. I don’t take that for granted. I know not every parent gets to hold and enjoy their babies here on earth.

I never ended up publicly announcing my pregnancy. If you were someone who saw me in person, family, or a close enough friend then you knew I was pregnant. I really just didn’t want to answer the dreaded question of “how is the baby?” when I truly didn’t know the answer.

Thank you all again for your kind words and prayers

Congrats! My last birth was also filled with challenges, so I understand how you didn't feel relief until he was actually here.

So, this is definitely the most personal and rawest thing I've ever discussed in my many years of being on this board. I'm in my first trimester. I found out today that I have a subchorionic hematoma. The baby is well, but unfortunately this condition can lead to miscarriage. It sometimes resolves in the first trimester and it can also last the entire pregnancy.

Some people already know we are pregnant. This is our second baby and I popped early, beyond that I have raging morning sickness and almost constantly wear sea bands (can't wear long sleeves in warm weather), I also can't be very active ("you can't come to the park, why not?"), and I really don't want to hide the pregnancy even if I could.

This leaves me wondering how on earth do you tell people you're expecting, but that you're also praying to God that the baby sticks? I've just never seen a pregnancy announcement like that.

I read something before I was pregnant with my first written by someone who had had a miscarriage and had followed the usual "recommendation/norm" to it announce until 12 weeks, she wished she had told people because of the lack of support, she said her miscarriage would be so much easier if people had known she was pregnant.
If people know they can support you during the pregnancy, and if the worst happens and you do have a miscarriage, they know and can at least not be asking those "so when are you going to have another?" Questions etc

I personally wouldnt make an announcement, but I certainly would be telling people as it came up "I don't feel like going to the park, I am x weeks pregnant and have bad morning sickness"

For anyone who remembers, I thought I’d give an update. My little blessing is here with us now. I started referring to this as my “1 percent” pregnancy. I started dreading appointments because I was so frequently given the speech of “everything will probably be fine, but.” The theme continued up to my little guy’s birth where I had a rare late term pregnancy complication that then led to an even rarer labor complication.

But, I’m very thankful to say God brought us through some scary situations. I don’t take that for granted. I know not every parent gets to hold and enjoy their babies here on earth.

I never ended up publicly announcing my pregnancy. If you were someone who saw me in person, family, or a close enough friend then you knew I was pregnant. I really just didn’t want to answer the dreaded question of “how is the baby?” when I truly didn’t know the answer.

Thank you all again for your kind words and prayers
Saw your update aftern I posted, congratulations!

Congrats! My last birth was also filled with challenges, so I understand how you didn't feel relief until he was actually here.

Thank you. I hope you and your little one are OK. I can’t think of a scarier experience that I have had. I was in a bit of shock and experiencing overwhelming relief and gratitude to God once I knew we were OK. The NICU was there, the doctor was just about to make the decision to take us for an emergency c-section. A nurse told me I’m actually the only birth she ever witnessed that this complication didn’t end in an emergency c-section after I think 14 years of being a labor nurse and it would have likely ended in injury to my little guy.

So glad to see the positive update! Congratulations!! 🐣

Thank you so much!

I read something before I was pregnant with my first written by someone who had had a miscarriage and had followed the usual "recommendation/norm" to it announce until 12 weeks, she wished she had told people because of the lack of support, she said her miscarriage would be so much easier if people had known she was pregnant.
If people know they can support you during the pregnancy, and if the worst happens and you do have a miscarriage, they know and can at least not be asking those "so when are you going to have another?" Questions etc

I personally wouldnt make an announcement, but I certainly would be telling people as it came up "I don't feel like going to the park, I am x weeks pregnant and have bad morning sickness"
Saw your update aftern I posted, congratulations!

Thank you! I didn’t mean to cause confusion. I updated the title. It never really occurred to me that anyone would see this other than those who originally responded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!