How would you answer this question from your child?

I have a science nerdy 8 year old who, at the same time that he must know logically what’s going on, just doesn’t want to let go of the magic. He sometimes starts to ask if they are in costume and then stops himself, like saying it out loud would destroy it forever. He still believes in Santa and tooth fairy, so he is stretching his belief to the hilt with Disney characters ;). He has started to ask why the princesses always look different when he meets them, but when he’s there chatting with them, he’s star struck. He refuses to meet Kylo Ren again since he was fairly intense, though he laughs about it. I am hoping, selfishly, that he holds on just until February when we do the Marvel cruise so he can meet his heroes! But, I know we are very much on borrowed time and am honestly partially looking forward to not feeling like I have to keep up the charade.

Ultimately, I think the best advice I can offer is that each parent knows their child best. There is no blanket solution for explaining magic and beliefs, so go with your gut feeling about how to handle the question if and when it comes, and you’ll almost surely be right.

When my family was on a Disneyland trip my mother asked the same question because she LOVES learning facts about Disney Parks and I told my mom that the reason why the masked characters don't talk is just one of Disney Parks many hidden secrets few people never know about and she smiled at me. Disney characters always remind me of those performers that you hire to perform at children's birthday parties and I think to be hired to play a Disney character Disney requires you to have experience from performing at children's birthday parties when you audition to play a character. But I always have believed that the characters are real because to a child there's something wonderful and magical about it. But forcing the facts to children may surprise them a little at first but many kids know the difference between real life and fantasy and that helps them build their creativity flair. But just like kids believe that the mall Santa and the real Santa Claus are the same person you can always tell the kids that Santa Claus has a twin and when Santa is busy he sends his twin to the mall to get the lists of children so he can send the message to Santa at the North Pole. But when it comes to Disney characters there's really something special about them that makes them a unique part of the parks and I think the character actors do an excellent job playing the characters to perfection. And I always wondered how Disney Parks do it so well?

My kids have already figured it out, but they said they still want to meet all the characters. I'd just be honest but say it's still fun to meet them.

This reminds me of my brother when he was about 3. He sat on a mall Easter Bunny’s lap, looked at her large head and said how did you get in there?

we are just over 3 months from my 4DD first trip. We talk about the trip all the time- what we are gonna ride, what we are gonna eat, which characters and princesses she wants to meet. So tonight at dinner she states- “I know it is just humans in those costumes”. We were kind of horrified and didn’t know quite how to respond. We did try to have her tell us why she thought that and she noted they are too big to be the characters on the TV. We didn’t deny or confirm her suspicions. I guess I never expected her to question it. I feel like this is a tougher one to answer than the dreaded Santa question.

Have your children question this? How did you respond?

I hate to lose that part of the magic and excitement of her meeting Minnie and Mickey for the first time, but we are not going to push her if she wants nothing to do with the “humans in costumes”.
What a great questions! I am a pretty fast thinker (most of the time ) I would slowly explain to my child your right (MOST costume characters can be made to fantasy application mice aren't that big etc and to think you could see a mouse here there over there near this by that hehehe, same concept as the multiple santa explanation. i would try and steer them to the live characters I am confident that the magic isnt or wont be lost as it is the magic in the experience over the reality. At least im hoping that will be the case when we go. You JUST NEVER KNOW which one may the real micky or minnie right? But yes if they feel MEH not interested or whatever make a lsit with them on WHO they really want to see and or meet? thats what i think i will be doing to make sure she gets to MEET who she really wants and all others are extra magic. I hope this helps the ease I really dont feel 1 character or 1 type of character will change the magic of the adventure they may just forget that once the interaction is in front of them. KIDS at heart.

Last edited:
Our girls have known from an early age. For years they called the princesses "freaky", sorry Snow White but three of our four girls thought you were the worse!!! (what ill never understand is the same girls thought the Grinch was real and the greatest thing since grandparents!!)They still enjoyed the time with the characters. I would not make a big deal of it. Have a great trip.

Honesty is better than pronging the “magic” with lies.
Our children rely on us for the truth

I tell them my own personal belief. Yes they are just regular people acting in the spirit of the character!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter