How would you change Castaway Club Levels

disboardlover

Oswald's Cousin
The latest DCL show (4/8/2020) talked about potential changes to the Castaway Club that Disney Cruise Line may think of doing, particularly adding a level above platinum. If you were in charge, what would you do the program in terms of:

a) changing how you get to different levels
b) what perks would you want to see at different levels
--------------------------------------------
Here is some top of mind thoughts, without completely thinking it through... add your own ideas!

a) grandfather past members to a level based on previous program, but going forward use the following (or offer past members the opportunity to switch levels if it makes sense)

Silver - After 10 nights of sailings completed (so one 10-night sailing, two 5-night sailings, one 4-night and two 3-night, etc..)
Gold - After 25 nights of sailings completed
Platinum - After 50 nights of sailings completed
Titanium - After 100 nights of sailings completed
Diamond - After 200 nights of sailings completed

b) potential perks

SilverGoldPlatinumTitaniumDiamond
Early Booking for Activities/Restaurants75 days before90 days before105 days before120 days before135 days before
Early Booking for new sailings1 day2 days3 days4 days5 days
Port ArrivalAssignedChoose from any slots still availableAnytime within 1 hour blockAnytime within chosen 2 hour blockAnytime
Priority Check-in Line and BoardingLine onlyBothBoth
Welcome Back GiftLanyardLanyard and giftLanyard and better giftLanyard, gift, and stateroom food or drinkLanyard, gift, stateroom food, and drink
Onboard ReceptionXX
Special Shopping Opportunities/DiscountsX, no discountplus 10% discplus 20% disc
Complimentary DinnerPaloPalo or RemyPalo and Remy
Complimentary Port AdventureX

Last edited:
Just look around at other cruise lines. Drink packages, reserved seating for shows, free laundry, free internet, dining experiences. Disney just lacks so hard when it comes to repeat cruiser benefits. I'd like my OBB credit back please for a start.

Just look around at other cruise lines. Drink packages, reserved seating for shows, free laundry, free internet, dining experiences. Disney just lacks so hard when it comes to repeat cruiser benefits. I'd like my OBB credit back please for a start.

I agree. Disney is severely lacking when it comes to their loyalty program benefits. Is there a cruise line that provides fewer perks for frequent cruisers?

The latest DCL show (4/8/2020) talked about potential changes to the Castaway Club that Disney Cruise Line may think of doing, particularly adding a level above platinum. If you were in charge, what would you do the program in terms of:

a) changing how you get to different levels
b) what perks would you want to see at different levels
--------------------------------------------
Here is some top of mind thoughts, without completely thinking it through... add your own ideas!

a) grandfather past members to a level based on previous program, but going forward use the following (or offer past members the opportunity to switch levels if it makes sense)

Silver - After 10 nights of sailings completed (so one 10-night sailing, two 5-night sailings, one 4-night and two 3-night, etc..)
Gold - After 25 nights of sailings completed
Platinum - After 50 nights of sailings completed
Titanium - After 100 nights of sailings completed
Diamond - After 200 nights of sailings completed

b) potential perks

SilverGoldPlatinumTitaniumDiamond
Early Booking for Activities/Restaurants75 days before90 days before105 days before120 days before135 days before
Early Booking for new sailings1 day2 days3 days4 days5 days
Port ArrivalAssignedChoose from any slots still availableAnytime within 1 hour blockAnytime within chosen 2 hour blockAnytime
Priority Check-in Line and BoardingLine onlyBothBoth
Welcome Back GiftLanyardLanyard and giftLanyard and better giftLanyard, gift, and stateroom food or drinkLanyard, gift, stateroom food, and drink
Onboard ReceptionXX
Special Shopping Opportunities/DiscountsX, no discountplus 10% discplus 20% disc
Complimentary DinnerPaloPalo or RemyPalo and Remy
Complimentary Port AdventureX
As Silver, I'd be upset if I had to just take an assigned PAT.

I'm not sure they would base it on # of nights vs # of cruises.

On a cost per night, the 3 and 4 night cruises are actually more expensive than the longer cruises, so they make more money on the 3 & 4 night cruises. They'd rather you take a 3 night plus a 4 night over just a 7 night cruise.

DCL may not take this into consideration, but is the rewards program better if it's based on how much you spend vs how many times you spend it? Disney is already pushing towards the higher end of travelers.

Marriott rewards bases their's off # of nights, not the place you stayed or the amount you paid for that stay. Yes, you get more points the more you spend, but the levels are based on the # of nights. I think most travel reward programs are done this way.

I doubt Disney will do anything. They really have no need to try to attract repeat cruisers as hey are doing very well as is.
No, but they need changes because their Platinum group keeps growing and growing.

When you read the reports of the longer cruises where the majority of the guests is Gold or Platinum, if everyone gets the same perks, is it then still a perk?

As the Incredibles taught us: "And when everyone's super ...then *no one* will be."

I doubt Disney will do anything. They really have no need to try to attract repeat cruisers as hey are doing very well as is.

^^^^ This

In marketing, promotions , discounts, sales, loyalty program perks are usually aimed at attracting new business. A company like Disney which has huge brand loyalty anyway knows that once a guest tries a new product, then there is a high percentage that guest will convert into a returning guest. Castaway Club is not really aimed at the returning guests, its an enticement , a carrot to continually get new first time cruisers.

First time cruisers see returning cruisers get perks, so they realize hey I want that to, and therefore convert to returning guests.

I can't see Disney changing the levels either, as they probably know the amount of first time cruisers who return and the drop off rate at gold and platinum level. They probably also know the average spend of a gold and platinum level cruiser and the average spend of a first time cruiser and this data has probably led them to the decision to entice first time cruisers rather than add a new level above platinum to reward repeat cruisers.

Thats just business folks, and its just the same as a company which will give you a discount when you sign up to their email newsletter or their store card.

They absolutely should be determining level based on nights vs sailings. It makes no sense that my 3 night cruise counts the same as my 12 night cruise.

The category of stateroom should also play a part in the formula. A 12 night cruise in an inside stateroom shouldn't count the same as a 12 night cruise in a 1 bedroom suite. The same for regular priced cruises vs Florida resident rates, etc.

Last edited:
I'm happy enough with the current system. However, if changes were made, I would want dollars spent per passenger to be the primary consideration. We have to cruise in peak season, so we spend up to twice as much per cruise as those who sail off-season. And of course, those who have sailed within the past few years are paying a lot more than those who sailed a lot more than five years ago.

They absolutely should be determining level based on nights vs sailings. It makes no sense that my 3 night cruise counts the same as my 12 night cruise.
That has been my pet peeve for years. I don't do 3 night sailings. My first and second cruises were 14 nights each and counted as for 2 :(
Our 3 night cruise over New Year's probably approached the cost of your 12-night and 14-night cruises. That is why I think dollars spent per passenger should be the primary consideration.

Last edited:
I guess major changes could help get people cruising faster after lockdown ends. Right now I don't see new levels because I don't see Disney offering new perks. But they could change the number of cruises that qualify at each level. Say, platinum becomes 25, but if you are at that level on X day, then you are grandfathered. People close to 10 would start booking to quickly get to Platinum changes. Honestly, though, I don't see any changes.

The category of stateroom should also play a part in the formula. A 12 night cruise in an inside stateroom shouldn't count the same as a 12 night cruise in a 1 bedroom suite. The same for regular priced cruises vs Florida resident rates, etc.
Why limit to just the stateroom category? How about totaling up all the costs, including specialty restaurants, shore excursions, gift shop purchases? Perhaps just base it on the total folio at the end of the cruise?

Why limit to just the stateroom category? How about totaling up all the costs, including specialty restaurants, shore excursions, gift shop purchases? Perhaps just base it on the total folio at the end of the cruise?
Agreed. A concierge stateroom in February sometimes costs less than an inside stateroom in July.

As someone who has done 21 sailing nights but only two cruises I’d love to see it go by sailing night instead of number of cruises.

In reality DCL makes their lions share of their revenue from 3 and 4 night cruises. That's their bread and butter, with the new ships coming down the road and the pretty firm indication that they're going to home ported in Port Canaveral and Miami, the short cruise trend isn't likely to change as a majority of their itineraries. So basing any loyalty program on nights might seem like it will give you more rewards quicker but you'll be paying more for those cruises as they tend to be higher priced over the longer 7, 11, and 14 night trips. There could be a refining of rewards at some point once all the new ships are commissioned, but until then, once DCL resumes service, they're going to focus on getting back to business as usual. Restructure ship operations to highlight cleanliness, hygiene and screening to prevent further problems from viral infections. Present a safe and welcoming atmosphere so guests will feel comfortable to return to booking and getting on board. Expecting changes in the loyalty programs at this time just isn't practical or feasible for DCL with out tossing out the entire system and starting over... which I highly doubt they'd be interested in doing, simply because they have many many more issues to deal with at this time. But who know's, we'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter