How would you "plus" your vacation?

disney144

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked for Pop for a week in late January. We are planning on 6 day tickets, and will be packing snacks and eating CS in the parks. It is just 2 adults and our first WDW trip, although we have been disneyland regulars for years. We let our DL passes expire to help pay for this trip. This will likely be our only kid free trip. How would you "plus" it? (Obviously, it would be great to do all of these, but our budget is limited).

- upgrade to a moderate (CBR or CSR) for the week. Or do a split stay with pop and POR or POFQ (I'm not anticipating good discounts coming out for port orleans this year, and it's priced higher than the others)
- add a few TS restaurants
- wild Africa trek
- add discounted QS dining if SPD is released. This would allow us to order a few alcoholic drinks with meals, extra snacks, and snacking around world showcase during the art festival. We also wouldn't be worried about spending too much
-add park hopper passes (are these necessary with shorter hours? I would think we would go to one park and stay all day. No midday breaks)

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I would definitely try to have some TS meals. Since we've started doing this, it really takes the vacation up several notches. I would add a Disney tour. We've done the Steam train tour, and it was great. I want to do Keys to the Kingdom when we can.

I'm personally not a park hopper fan. It's a pricey privilege. You spend at least 45 minutes getting from one park to the other. For our family, 6 days is optimal. We spend 2 days at MK, 2 at Epcot, 1 at AK and 1 at HS.

All of your choices are good ones. I would not choose park hopper. It isn't really necessary. I love PORQ. It is my favorite but POP is also nice. I would rather do POP with some TS meals than POFQ with all QS. The wild Africa Trek is awesome but if this is your first trip it would use a lot of your park time. Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide.

We are currently booked for Pop for a week in late January. We are planning on 6 day tickets, and will be packing snacks and eating CS in the parks. It is just 2 adults and our first WDW trip, although we have been disneyland regulars for years. We let our DL passes expire to help pay for this trip. This will likely be our only kid free trip. How would you "plus" it? (Obviously, it would be great to do all of these, but our budget is limited).

- upgrade to a moderate (CBR or CSR) for the week. Or do a split stay with pop and POR or POFQ (I'm not anticipating good discounts coming out for port orleans this year, and it's priced higher than the others)
- add a few TS restaurants
- wild Africa trek
- add discounted QS dining if SPD is released. This would allow us to order a few alcoholic drinks with meals, extra snacks, and snacking around world showcase during the art festival. We also wouldn't be worried about spending too much
-add park hopper passes (are these necessary with shorter hours? I would think we would go to one park and stay all day. No midday breaks)

What are your thoughts?
Of those choices, I would eliminate the split stay (been in here, done that that, will only do it again if necessary but not intentionally) and the QSDP (I don't think it's a money-saver, it just makes you feel like you're on an all-inclusive vacation when you aren't). And I would nix the park hopping, too. You can add it any time during your trip if you feel you absolutely must have it.

So that leaves upgrading to a moderate, doing a few TS and the Wild Africa Trek and I would rank them in that order. However, I really dislike the Value Resorts and so my opinion is colored by that prejudice.

With just two people, I would not add park hopper. It will be easy to navigate the parks with just the two of you. No need to go from park to park and waste time in you day. I also am not a value resort fan so I woul definitely suggest a resort upgrade if I could pick only one of the things you suggested. If you plan to spend any time at your resort, the extra amenities with a moderate or deluxe resort are so nice. One of my family's favorite things to do in Disney is eat so TS dinners would be my number 2 choice. There are so many wonderful restaurants to experience.

I would add some TS meals.

You said you will stay at the parks all day without a midday break so spending on a higher level resort seems like a waste. Park hopping I can take it or leave it. When we have had it we use it and enjoy but when we don't have it we don't really care or miss it much.

Last edited:

Definitely add TS meals!! And pick a combo of not much more than CS and maybe a nice dinner or two.

In January - depending on the weather - a TS can be a nice way to "warm up" if it's cold outside in the middle of park day. BUT - on short park days - they do take time. And the end of the day - maybe when the park you are headed to that day closes earlier - a nice TS dinner can extend your day. So - both options have their pluses.

Some TS in the parks that aren't that much more than a CS meal - SciFi Diner or Prime Time at HS; Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch at MK, a variety of choices at Epcot. I think the CS food choices at AK are too awesome (the bowls at the new canteen in Pandora - or just Yak and Yeti CS or the food court in Africa - all great) - so unless you are going to go to Tiffins or do a character meal at Tusker House - I would not eat TS at AK.

A couple of places very unique to WDW compared to DL and where you can find nice couple experiences - try Boma or Jiko at AKL. (I also love Tiffins in AK for lunch - but it's not cheap - but its quiet and the service/atmosphere is awesome). Or Sanaa at AKV (get the bread service - its a meal itself!)

Or plan a nice dinner at Citrico's, The Wave, Artist Point, or California Grill so you purposefully see a couple of the deluxe resorts - might give you an excuse to ride the monorail (no comparison to DL!) or use resort boat transportation, too.

I've done the Wild Africa Trek and loved it - but I think for the cost of that - you can eat and drink a lot better.

I personally skip alcohol at WDW except for 1-2 drinks for a 4-5 day trip because of the price. And sometimes I order an appetizer and dessert - skipping the entree. When I go as a couple - we sometimes get a salad or app - and one entree.

NO WAY I would add park hoppers. Days are too short and you are adults - you can just do one park a day.

I probably also wouldn't add a dining plan. I think between bringing food with you and smart meal planning - that's a better choice.

My vote would be some TS meals. All CS can get old when you're there for that long. I enjoy the themed restaurants, and they make for a nice break in a busy day with lots of walking.

With six days and your anticipated touring style, I don't think park hoppers would be worth it. (We've only done them once, and hardly used them.)

I also loved POP when we stayed there last April. I've stayed at, and enjoyed, moderates too - POR especially! But I found the theming fun, and wouldn't consider it at all a disadvantage to stay there (unless I wanted a monorail resort because I had two strollers or something.)

I would love to do the Wild Africa Trek someday, but if this is your first visit, you'll have so much to do without it!

How much you pay for the 6 day pass? I would upgrade one of them to an AP ($750 vs. $495 assuming park hopper) and then upgrade to an AP discount hotel (probably get moderate for less or equal to what you are getting value now) when they come out. Usually really good AP rates in late January. Then you get the added bonus of food discounts, souvenir discounts and you get to get your picture taken anywhere and are able to download the pictures for free. The money you save on all this may allow you to split stay into possibly a for a night or two. We love split stays. A new vacation when you move.

I will go against popular opinion and say to add park hoppers but with a caveat of only adding them if you can also add Express Transportation (right now that would add $58 to your budget). I have done a few adult only trips and love the flexibility of being able to park hop. The Express Transportation option has made it even better! We did 4 parks in one day last January with a toddler so we definitely made the most of it. You could go to EPCOT for dinner after most of the day in another park and try one of the many CS options there. We also like being able to take advantage of evening EMH to maximize hopping.

I agree with others on the arguments against CBR and CSR upgrades considering the construction, QSDP, and probably against the spit stay. I would say TS meals and the Wild Africa Trek (though we haven't done it yet) would be my second and third choice from your list. It sounds like you have a few options to choose from that you won't regret!

I would "plus" the trip by upgrading to POFQ but we usually take breaks from the parks to enjoy our resort. If your touring style is parks open to close, it will be less important.
I've never been to DL, but a common note that people seem to make is the vast size difference and transportation needs. POFQ has only 1 bus stop to worry about and boats to Disney Springs. The size of the resort is very small compared to the other moderates and value resorts. Seriously, many of the resorts are huge! To us, it makes a significant difference. We have stayed at all resort levels and still love it there!
January is an excellent time to go! We Honeymooned then - at POFQ. Florida heat is a killer most of the year and can really zap your energy and patience.

Whatever you choose, have an awesome trip!

Take a trip over the Boardwalk Inn and visit Jellyrolls. That is a dueling piano bar! You can have a great dinner at one of the restaurants on the boardwalk (or Epcot). Then go spend an evening in Jellyrolls...

Won't cost you much but should have a blast!! Wife and I do that (now with the kids as they are adults) and have so much fun.

I would not upgrade to either CSR or CBR with the current construction projects at each. I would upgrade to POR if that is possible. That or I would add in some TS meals. They really add to a Disney vacation.
100% agree with this.

I would agree with other posters to upgrade to POR or POFQ. You could very easily hop on a boat and try different restaurants and lounges in Disney Springs in the evenings. Maybe splurge on one nice TS like Artist Point or California Grill. Basically, you may find you've had your fill of certain parks after 5 or 6 hours being there. That way, you could still have something to do in the evening but not feel you're so far from the action. Having a nice restaurant or lounge at your resort could make the difference.

POR is a great place, just sayin" . However, if you could find it in the budget to upgrade to AKL, that would be a homerun.

TS meals are pretty good to do too, esp. if you research and find the kind and food that interests you, and don't just pick the most expensive because others say to. Make sure you pick the meals for you. Hoop de Doo review could be something to look into and see if that interests you, its pretty fun and all inclusive.

We love Park Hoppers, but for you, probably not. Weve been many times, and are not trying to "DO a Park". We just go wherever we want, whenever we want. We go somewhere in the morning, go back to resort, then go wherever at night. It sounds like you just want to do a park a day, so that makes no sense for you.

We also love Split Stays, but I wouldn't probably do it for only 6 days. We do it when we have 10 day trips. 3 days at each seems a little nuts if you are also trying to do all the parks, which is sounds like you've never been this way, so you have a lot to see.

I am a DVC member and go to WDW 6 or 7 times a year. Given that you plan to spend the whole day at the parks I would not upgrade. I have stayed at both and do not see that much difference in the rooms - or in the buffets. Yes mods have prettier landscaping but f you only see it walking to the bus, there are better ways to spend money. I have done split stays but found I didn't like them when I didn't have at 8 days there. I would spend the extra on special meals like a character breakfast or dinner at Narcoossees so you can time it to see the fireworks - very special! California Grill food is not as good as it used to be and Tiffins is way over priced. I would try Jiko at AK or Cape May at BC. The dining plan does not save you money, it just restricts your choices. Buying an AP really is good idea. I use it for discounts on food and shopping and especially on resorts. It pays for itself on the resort and then the discounts on the other is free money.

I would also suggest you do something fun like a trail ride at Wilderness or rent a ski racer and ride around the Bay - very fun and cheap! Do the miniature golf. Ride the ferry from MK to the Poly and watch the fireworks from the beach! And I would vote for the Boardwalk too. Fun! My 11 year old grand-daughter and I go once or twice a year and have been doing so by ourselves since she was 2 1/2. Asked her which resort is her fave this year - she has been to most of the deluxes and some of the values - we loved the Art of Animation - she said she loved the Boardwalk best...

If you are staying at a park all day I wouldn't bother upgrading hotel. We always have hopper, our touring sounds like it's quite different from yours. We do take a mid day break and usually go to a different park at night. We also have TS dinners so it's a nice option to have hoppers for us.

To plus trip the I think the Wild Africa tour would be memorable. I'd love to do that, but the price is :scared:!

Have a look at the dining guide, some TS isn't much more than CS but the atmosphere is amazing. Both SciFi and 50's Prime Time at DHS are great! The Plaza in MK is another. Beaches & Cream at Beach Club resort is like an old fashioned soda shop, menu is more like CS, hot dogs, sandwiches, burgers, etc. And awesome icecream deserts! Plus you can explore the resort!

Add a night or 2 if you can. WDW is huge, 6 nights would be the bare minimum for a first trip. 2 days MK (it is different than DL!) 2 days Epcot, 1 day DHS & 1day AK.

Late January have had some of the better room discounts. Keep an eye out for release. Hopefully this will still be true, however the last set of discounts released for late fall - Dec were quite disappointing. No discounts available except for the most expensive rooms.

Enjoy your WDW visit! We're going to DL in Sept! I'm very excited. Good thing I'm going with my friend from LA to show us around!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter