HS graduation gift

What kind of HS graduation gift have you given?

• Total voters

Toolulu22

DIS Veteran
  • My nephew is graduating high school next month and will be heading to college in NC in August. I usually give him a $100 gift for BD's and Christmas.
  • I'm trying to figure out a gift. Cash? How much?
  • Any suggestions?pluto::smickey:

Last edited:

If you give $100 for birthday and Christmas, I'd steer towards $250 with directions on using for books when they get to college. Denomination is up what you can afford, but this 1 time thing is a little bigger than birthday/Christmas.

Or... stick to $100 and add on something else that they may need for whatever their major is. Example - If they're going to be an Business major, get them a nice briefcase or something that they'll be able to use towards their career.

If you give $100 for birthday and Christmas, I'd steer towards $250 with directions on using for books when they get to college. Denomination is up what you can afford, but this 1 time thing is a little bigger than birthday/Christmas.

Or... stick to $100 and add on something else that they may need for whatever their major is. Example - If they're going to be an Business major, get them a nice briefcase or something that they'll be able to use towards their career.

Just curious, why does it have to be bigger than Christmas or birthday? $100 is an appropriate amount for high school graduation. It shouldn't matter that it's the same amount he gets 2 other times in a year. My favorite graduation card to hand out says something like this:

"CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU'VE OFFICIALLY MADE IT THROUGH THE EASIEST PART OF ADULT LIFE."

College graduation is more of an accomplishment. I give more for that, because of how stressful college work can be, and at the end of the day, the graduate will more than likely have some student loans to pay.

We don’t do HS grad gifts as it is an expectation, no doubt it is probably slowly changing. University graduations are a big deal though.

I absolutely detest all these graduation parties they do now. My twins have graduated twice already (crèche and kinder) and they’re only in grade 6. My eyes rolled so hard I got a headache when teachers called the class party a graduation.

College graduation is more of an accomplishment. I give more for that, because of how stressful college work can be, and at the end of the day, the graduate will more than likely have some student loans to pay.

I would tend to give more for high school,because the graduate (if they are going on to further education) is about to enter a phase of their lives where their expenses are going to exceed their income. With a university graduate it would depend on their plans - are they going on to school or stating a job?

M.

Last edited:
We don’t do HS grad gifts as it is an expectation, no doubt it is probably slowly changing. University graduations are a big deal though.

I absolutely detest all these graduation parties they do now. My twins have graduated twice already (crèche and kinder) and they’re only in grade 6. My eyes rolled so hard I got a headache when teachers called the class party a graduation.

High school graduations here are much bigger than college graduations- I don't recall ever going to a college grad party, for my brothers we went out to dinner with him and his god parents and that was it.

As far as a gift goes there really isn't a "standard" gift, my daughter got anywhere from 20.00 from friends that came to her party to 1,000.00 that her uncle gave her. He also gave her 100.00 a month spending money while in college so that was a major gift and VERY unexpected! Most family, neighbors etc gave between 50-100.

High school graduations here are much bigger than college graduations- I don't recall ever going to a college grad party, for my brothers we went out to dinner with him and his god parents and that was it.

That’s interesting, we do the opposite lol. Dinner out for HS, and grad gifts for University.

There’s no option for $0.

That would be my vote.

Oh gosh! I couldn't imagine not giving our nieces & nephews something for high school graduation!

Our niece graduated tonight, & we gave her $100 in a card. Our nephew graduates tomorrow morning, & he'll get $100 in a card as well.

However, we usually do $25-$50 for birthday gifts.

So, OP, if you normally do $100 for birthday gifts, if I were you, I'd either do $100 + some kind of tangible gift (maybe something from the college where they'll be attending or something nice related to their interests) OR I'd give $150-$200.

Cash. I rolled up 2 twenties, 1 dollar bill, did pennies for the year they graduated. So it was 2 0 1 (4) pennies stamped with 2014. 2 0 1 (6) pennies stamped with 2016. Taped in a graduation card.

• My nephew is graduating high school next month and will be heading to college in NC in August. I usually give him a $100 gift for BD's and Christmas.
  • I'm trying to figure out a gift. Cash? How much?
  • Any suggestions?pluto::smickey:

Normally, I'd say $100 - but we only do $25 for birthdays, so that would be bigger than normal for us.
If you want to do cash with that precedent, I think I'd do $200 if you can.

If you'd rather something to wrap, ask his parents if there are certain things he needs for his dorm room - a fridge, TV, etc. Or does he need luggage for traveling back and forth to school?

I like to do "combo" gifts - cash with some sort of delivery vehicle. For one of my nieces, I found a photo holder that was a stack of books, so I put the money in that. It was the wire kind, a little like this:

Hallmark-Disney-Walts-100th-Photo-Note-Holder-Desk.jpg

He's not expecting anything and I'm not attending a party if there is one as he's a plane ride away. He's my nephew, godson, and I'm super proud to have watched him grow from a infant into a smart, friendly, kind human being. His grandfather passed two weeks before he was born and he is the spitting image of him. I couldn't help but think my dad and he would have been so close. This kid is special and as his aunt I want to give him something in addition to the money he's earned while in HS, to help him as he goes off to college. :tinker: pixiedust:

He's not expecting anything and I'm not attending a party if there is one as he's a plane ride away. He's my nephew, godson, and I'm super proud to have watched him grow from a infant into a smart, friendly, kind human being. His grandfather passed two weeks before he was born and he is the spitting image of him. I couldn't help but think my dad and he would have been so close. This kid is special and as his aunt I want to give him something in addition to the money he's earned while in HS, to help him as he goes off to college. :tinker: pixiedust:

How about helping to outfit his dorm? Gift card to Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target or Wal Mart or Amazon?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!