HS Toy Story Mania: [Merged Threads]

:scratchin Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty good idea to me! Just let me find a downhill slope, shortly before the parade starts :rotfl:

Actually, scratch that, I'll just wait until park closing :lmao:

The route to the disabled load/unload area is just before the staircase and really does not cut down on the loading time at all. Also, it is possible for it to take longer in the disabled load/unload zone than n the main line.

The queue is very well themed which may work to keep his attention.

Since it is that far out you may want to do some work on your schedule to do DHS first thing one morning. Also January does tend to be fairly slow.

One thing is there may be heavy crowds beginning January 24th since the Super Bowl is in Tampa on February 1st.
I am curious about the wheelchair line there, out at DCA it has a bench for people to sit on, is the same true there?

I do not recall seeing any seating in the disabled load/unload area at DHS. However, if a person is in a wheelchair or ECV and is able to transfer, they can remain seated until just prior to boarding. Then they park right next to the boarding area and retrieve their chair or ECV when they get off.

cmwade77 said:
I am curious about the wheelchair line there, out at DCA it has a bench for people to sit on, is the same true there?
Here's an overview picture someone took of the accessible loading area. It doesn't look like there are any benches in the area:
05-ride_vehiclea1.jpg

Hi just wondering if an electric wheelchair can get onto toystory mania?
My brother who has muscular dystrophy cannot transfer very weel, it is easiest for him to stay where he is. Anyone know what other rides(not shows you can take an electric wheelchair on?

Toy Story Mania does have wheelchair accessible cars. I haven't been on it so I don't know if it fits bigger wheelchairs. Here are my notes from our trip in 2006. I have Muscular Dystrophy, too.

Epcot jostle

Ellen's Energy Adventure: They refused to let my electric wheelchair on. I went back four times on three different days. It was always the same guy. We tried explaining it was not an ECV but an electric wheelchair. We showed him the disability guide. Nope. He said only manual chairs and something about an accident. Definitely a low of the vacation because it is the only ride we can all ride together and one of Dad's favorites. I would like to report the guy...

Turtle Talk with Crush:
There is a separate wheelchair line. It is to the left of the long line. You might be given a return time. A girl in a wheelchair was allowed to sit up front with the kids (towards the back) but the parent had to ask.

Soarin':
Cast Members request that you park by the pole and walk (or are carried) the few feet to your seat. They will allow you to park right next to the seat and move your chair if you request it. Since I have breathing problems, I pulled the seatbelt all the way out looped it around the armrest (a tip I got from the Pooh sized thread). I was completely secure. The second time I rode a cast member made me unloop the seatbelt but I left it slack and was fine. I also used the strap between the legs for extra security. Grandma held my right arm and Dad was on my left with an arm in front and an arm in back. I was very secure-no problems-and I cannot sit up in any chair or surface (besides my wheelchair) without being held up. DO NOT ask if you can have a family member support you on the ride (made this mistake at DL).

Living with the Land:
Two wheelchair boats with one spot each. No FP needed-separate wheelchair entrance. You may be given a return time. We had a slight problem being allowed on this ride. At first the cast member said they only allowed Hoveraround chairs (???) but after my mom explained that experienced drivers of electric wheelchairs can make very tight turns, he let us on. You may have problems depending on the CM. Those who have problems using steps can walk down the ramp in the wheelchair boat.

Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment:
2 wheelchair cars with one spot each. The easiest wheelchair slot. Drive forward, the CM twists a platform and you face forward. At the end, the CM twists the platform and you drive off facing forward down a ramp. My chair was a tight fit. I took off my footplates. At the end, there is an effect that may cause a startle reflex.

Honey I Shrunk the Audience:
Separate wheelchair entrance-no FP needed. You will probably be given a return time. Unless you transfer to a seat, you will not get all the effects.

El Rio Del Tiempo (Mexico):
2 wheelchair boats-one spot per boat. The seats are pretty low if you transfer. There is a separate wheelchair entrance. But if you have trouble walking do NOT park your chair outside because you will not be allowed in the wheelchair entrance. We got separated from my Grandma this way. She was fine but walking the cue would have been bad for mom because the line is on a sloped surface. There is space to park about 4 chairs by the ride and you can transfer from that point.

The American Adventure:
You will be directed to seating in the very back unless you request the handful of seats up front (we sat in the back)

Illuminations:
Several of the wheelchair seating areas have trees blocking the view. The seating area by the Refreshment Port and by bathrooms (including Companion) does not and has a great view.

Epcot has good Companion Restrooms. You can get a list of the locations at allearsnet.com and First Aid at the park

Magic Kingdom

Tomorrowland
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin:
I did not fit even though I fit SueM's wheelchair measurements. My midline control was in the way. My sister almost fit but not quite. She might have fit without her desk.

Stitch’s Great Escape:
Only manual chairs are allowed on this ride. The batteries and different style backs prevent the electric wheelchair from getting into the proper position. She also specifically mentioned my headrest. So if you have a bulky headrest or one with a long support backing you may have a problem.

Carousel of Progress
Wheelchairs are parked on a slope.

Fantasyland
“it’s a small world”:
2 wheelchair boats with spots each. Enter through the exit.

Mickey’s Philharmagic:
:)!! The wheelchair spots experience all the special effects!

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
1 wheelchair car with one spot. I thought backing in was easier. Request the bounce button be switched on for more affects.

Adventureland
Magic Carpet’s of Aladdin
Only accommodates manual wheelchairs. The device that secures the wheelchair goes between the front and back wheels and is about 6 inches tall. Batteries get in the way.

Accessible stations for the railroad are Main Street, Mickey's Toontown, and Frontierland. Two wheelchair spots.

Spectromagic & Wishes viewing tip:
If you plan to watch both use the Spectromagic wheelchair viewing area by the partner statue. Then you are situated for a great view of Wishes-just turn around. They do make two rows of wheelchairs for the parade...

Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)

Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are impossible for wheelchairs (you can do a roundtrip on the raft that goes to Tom Sawyer Island)

Disney's MGM Studios

Star Tours:
There is a nonmotion ride available! I was thrilled to know this. There is a separate wheelchair entrance so no FP is needed.

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular:
Ask to sit up front for a better view...stay after to meet Indiana Jones.

Backlot Tour:
2 wheelchair spots...I don't know how many accessible trams there are. Mom walked up the ramp to transfer.

Journey Into Narnia:
3 or 4 wheelchair spots-depending on the CM. We fit four (barely).

The Great Movie Ride
2 wheelchair trams with one spot each. I took off my footplates and extra bags and fit (barely) by backing in.

Beauty and the Beast:
Ask to sit up front for an excellent view. Those in ECVs may be asked to transfer.

Tower of Terror:
If you can't ride, you can still watch the pre-show.

Fantasmic!
CMs will direct you to where to sit (you can't pick). Wheelchair spots are marked and have a comfortable amount of space between them.

I had a hard time locating the Companion bathrooms. One of the best bathrooms (female) is the one located just outside the entrance to the park. The stall is as big as a companion restroom and has a sink. It's usually empty or has very few people.

Animal Kingdom

Kilimanjaro Safaris:
2 wheelchair vehicles with one spot each. I find it easier to back in.

Triceratop Spin

Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-may have to back on)

:),
Christamae

NOTE: I'm not sure if it is just my browser, but I am having some trouble getting my pictures to show up when I open this. If they all load, you should see 11 pictures. Reloading the page should help if they don't show.
A few comments to eternaldisneyfan's great suggestions.
Toy Story Mania does have wheelchair accessible cars. I haven't been on it so I don't know if it fits bigger wheelchairs. Here are my notes from our trip in 2006. I have Muscular Dystrophy, too.
Here's a link to a thread about Toy Story Mania (which turns out to be the thread we are on)
Page 6 of that thread has some great pictures of the inside (ramp) of the wheelchair accessible car. The significant other of the person who took the pictures uses a power wheelchair.
Epcot jostle

Ellen's Energy Adventure: They refused to let my electric wheelchair on. I went back four times on three different days. It was always the same guy. We tried explaining it was not an ECV but an electric wheelchair. We showed him the disability guide. Nope. He said only manual chairs and something about an accident. Definitely a low of the vacation because it is the only ride we can all ride together and one of Dad's favorites. I would like to report the guy...
I heard (but can't confirm) that they had a power wheelchair tip over backwards getting off of this attraction. It may have been because of the steepness of the ramp or may have run off the side of the ramp.
The ride car is old - from when Epcot first opened, and mostly manual wheelchairs were in use then. I do know that the ramp is a steeper ramp than is 'allowed' for wheelchair accessibility at this point in time.
Some of the newer wheelchairs, especially the mid-wheel type, are not safe to do more than an 8 degree ramp and this ramp is steeper than that.
2590Energy_WC_board-med.JPG

Turtle Talk with Crush:
There is a separate wheelchair line. It is to the left of the long line. You might be given a return time. A girl in a wheelchair was allowed to sit up front with the kids (towards the back) but the parent had to ask.
There are a limited number of wheelchair spots in the theater, so they do need to 'count' how many spots they will be needing. The wheelchair parking spots are at the ends of rows. Children sit on the floor in the front of the show and the first wheelchair seat is just behind and the rest are on the ends of rows. The legs on the rows get progressively longer as you go back further in the room - the first rows are fairly low.
2590Turtle_Talk-med.JPG

2590TURTLE_TALK_room.jpg

Soarin':
Cast Members request that you park by the pole and walk (or are carried) the few feet to your seat. They will allow you to park right next to the seat and move your chair if you request it.
We've had no problem with parking DD's wheelchair right next to the ride seat, transferring her and then having the chair moved. If the CM asks us to park it, we just say that we need to have it right by the ride car.
If you go to this Epcot FAQs thread, on page 2, there is a section about Soarin' with pictures and explanations about the queue, the waiting area and the show.
Living with the Land:
Two wheelchair boats with one spot each. No FP needed-separate wheelchair entrance. You may be given a return time. We had a slight problem being allowed on this ride. At first the cast member said they only allowed Hoveraround chairs (???) but after my mom explained that experienced drivers of electric wheelchairs can make very tight turns, he let us on. You may have problems depending on the CM. Those who have problems using steps can walk down the ramp in the wheelchair boat.
The turn is pretty tight - this is another one of those original WDW rides with a boat that was designed for manual wheelchairs. The Hoverround wheelchairs are designed for use inside and have ability to make very tight turns.
In the Epcot thread I posted a link to just above, there is a picture/information spread about Living with the Land.
Journey Into Your Imagination with Figment:
2 wheelchair cars with one spot each. The easiest wheelchair slot. Drive forward, the CM twists a platform and you face forward. At the end, the CM twists the platform and you drive off facing forward down a ramp. My chair was a tight fit. I took off my footplates. At the end, there is an effect that may cause a startle reflex.
There are pictures of the Imagination accessible ride car in the Epcot FAQs thread too.
Honey I Shrunk the Audience:
Separate wheelchair entrance-no FP needed. You will probably be given a return time. Unless you transfer to a seat, you will not get all the effects.
There are limited numbers of wheelchair parking spots and wheelchair viewing is in the back.
El Rio Del Tiempo (Mexico):
2 wheelchair boats-one spot per boat. The seats are pretty low if you transfer. There is a separate wheelchair entrance. But if you have trouble walking do NOT park your chair outside because you will not be allowed in the wheelchair entrance. We got separated from my Grandma this way. She was fine but walking the cue would have been bad for mom because the line is on a sloped surface. There is space to park about 4 chairs by the ride and you can transfer from that point.
This attraction has been updated to be 3 Caballeros. Wheelchair access used to be at the exit, but is now thru the main line. It still has a wheelchair accessible boat.
2590mexico_boat_3-med.JPG

The American Adventure:
You will be directed to seating in the very back unless you request the handful of seats up front (we sat in the back)
There are pictures of this in the Epcot FAQs thread too.
Because the floor is VERY steeply sloped, the CMs have been instructed not to let wheelchair users sit anywhere except the back row.
Illuminations:
Several of the wheelchair seating areas have trees blocking the view. The seating area by the Refreshment Port and by bathrooms (including Companion) does not and has a great view.
The wheelchair viewing spots are marked on the park maps.
While it's still light outside in the afternoon or late evening, look across the water for some large flat barges in the WS lagoon. Those are part of the show (water/light effects and some ground fireworks). If you have a clear view of those, you will have a clear view of the show.
Magic Kingdom

Tomorrowland
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin:
I did not fit even though I fit SueM's wheelchair measurements. My midline control was in the way. My sister almost fit but not quite. She might have fit without her desk.
Some wheelchairs have parts that get in the way of fitting. This is a picture of the accessible ride car. Sorry, it's kind of dark for good pictures.
The front of the ride car includes the shooters for the interactive part of the ride. It sounds like that was what got in the way for eternaldisneyfan and her sister.
2590P4160110-med.JPG

Fantasyland
“it’s a small world”:
2 wheelchair boats with spots each. Enter through the exit.
For Small World, you will be in the regular line until about the first turn, when there is a gate with a wheelchair symbol to the left. At that point, you go down the exit ramp (half of the exit ramp is chained off for use by people with wheelchairs). THe boats are fairly similar to the ones on the ride in Mexico.
2590PA040083-med.JPG

Mickey’s Philharmagic:
:)!! The wheelchair spots experience all the special effects!
Even though the wheelchair spots are at the back of the theater, the whole theater is rather shallow. So, everyone gets a close up view.
Adventureland
Magic Carpet’s of Aladdin
Only accommodates manual wheelchairs. The device that secures the wheelchair goes between the front and back wheels and is about 6 inches tall. Batteries get in the way.
Even some manual wheelchairs have problems on this ride. There is a removable seat that they take out when someone using a wheelchair wants to ride. The brackets for the removable seats stick up and can hit the bottom of the wheelchair.
As eternaldisneyfan mentioned, you need more than 6 inches of clearance underneath your chair to ride this. Don't know of any power wheelchairs that would work.
Accessible stations for the railroad are Main Street, Mickey's Toontown, and Frontierland. Two wheelchair spots.
Toontown has a ground level station. The other stations are raised level - Main Street has a very steep ramped area on the right as you face the outside of the park (on the same side as Town Hall). Frontierland is not quite as steep.
Spectromagic & Wishes viewing tip:
If you plan to watch both use the Spectromagic wheelchair viewing area by the partner statue. Then you are situated for a great view of Wishes-just turn around. They do make two rows of wheelchairs for the parade...
In our experience, they took down the ropes marking off the wheelchair viewing area once the parade was over, so you might get people in front of you for the fireworks. Since the fireworks are overhead, that might not make a lot of difference.
Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)
You may also get 'spit on' by the steam that powers the steamboat.
Disney's MGM Studios

Star Tours:
There is a nonmotion ride available! I was thrilled to know this. There is a separate wheelchair entrance so no FP is needed.
Depending on when you are there, they may make you go thru the regular (standby line) if you don't have a Fastpass.
They can't always do the non-motion option. It depends on staffing and how many ride theaters they are using that day. They may give you a return time to come back for the non-motion ride.
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular:
Ask to sit up front for a better view...stay after to meet Indiana Jones.
You will feel the heat from some of the effects if you are in the front. There are not that many wheelchair seats up front; there are very many in the back. So, it's possible you may not be able to sit up front (doesn't hurt to ask though).
Backlot Tour:
2 wheelchair spots...I don't know how many accessible trams there are. Mom walked up the ramp to transfer.
I believe the first row of the first car of every tram is accessible. We have never had to wait for an accessible car, just for the next car.
You will be directed to the front of the tram. The first car has a wheelchair spot and there is a flip down ramp that goes between a concrete permanent ramp and the ride car. You drive on, the CM secures your wheelchair and the side of the tram comes down to form the side wall of the tram.
2590P4180133-med.JPG

Journey Into Narnia:
3 or 4 wheelchair spots-depending on the CM. We fit four (barely).
No longer at WDW
The Great Movie Ride
2 wheelchair trams with one spot each. I took off my footplates and extra bags and fit (barely) by backing in.
That is a very tight ride car. We have some difficulty even getting DD's manual wheelchair in.
2590PA090080-med.JPG

Beauty and the Beast:
Ask to sit up front for an excellent view. Those in ECVs may be asked to transfer.
It's a quite steep series of ramps to get down to the front of the theater. The majority of the wheelchair/ECV seats are in the back, so get there early if you want to sit in the front.
Some people find it tiring to sit in the front because you are actually below the level of the stage. You need to look up to see the action because your head will be just a little above the level of the stage floor.
This is a picture of my DD enjoying the preshow for Beauty and the Beast (unhappily, the preshow will no longer exist after Sept 20!)
2590P4170104-med.JPG

Fantasmic!
CMs will direct you to where to sit (you can't pick). Wheelchair spots are marked and have a comfortable amount of space between them.
The wheelchair spots are in the back row of the amphitheater. They are set up for almost every wheelchair spot to have a companion seat right next to it. If there are more in your party than 2, the rest of the party will be asked to sit in the seats directly in front of the wheelchair.
Not a very good picture, but shows the general idea.
2590P4090087-med.JPG

Animal Kingdom

Kilimanjaro Safaris:
2 wheelchair vehicles with one spot each. I find it easier to back in.
The tram and loading is very similar to the Backstage Tour at the Studio.

Triceratop Spin
This is similar to Aladdin's Magic Carpets and not all wheelchairs will fit.
Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-may have to back on)

:),
Christamae
This is the wildlife express train wheelchair car.
2590PA060120_2-med.JPG

We went on TSM last week. My son is 13 in a power chair and does not transfer(We lift him) TSM was one of the smoothest rides to load him on. We went in through the fast pass lane and then waited in line with other WC users. This line was fairly long. A young boy around 4 in a McClaren Stroller was loaded before us and they wheeled him in as well. People ahead of us using ECV's walked onto the ride. Probably the coolest feature was that the "cannon" to shoot the targets has a pull AND a large button on top that you can hit. My son has limited use of his hands and was able to operate the cannon by the button on top(This button was only in his car, not the rest of ours) Closed captioning on the video screen as well. Great ride. Photos of the ride are here.
http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq127/shermomof5/

We went on TSM last week. My son is 13 in a power chair and does not transfer(We lift him) TSM was one of the smoothest rides to load him on. We went in through the fast pass lane and then waited in line with other WC users. This line was fairly long. A young boy around 4 in a McClaren Stroller was loaded before us and they wheeled him in as well. People ahead of us using ECV's walked onto the ride. Probably the coolest feature was that the "cannon" to shoot the targets has a pull AND a large button on top that you can hit. My son has limited use of his hands and was able to operate the cannon by the button on top(This button was only in his car, not the rest of ours) Closed captioning on the video screen as well. Great ride. Photos of the ride are here.
http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq127/shermomof5/

The button is the coolest thing. We finally got to ride Toy Story today. My DD was thrilled to find out "Mickey made a ride just for her" (The button makes this ride "work" for her). According to the Cm I spoke with, they only have one car with the button. My DD asked her to ask Mickey to order more LOL.

I will be using an ECV during my December trip because I can't walk or stand for long periods of time but I can navigate stairs if I absolutely have to. Is it possible to ride the ECV through the line and park it in the wheelchair accessible area and then go over the stairs to load through the normal line and then come back to get the ECV? My biggest issue is the walking/standing but I should be fine for just the last little bit. Has anyone tried this?

The queue is not set up to do that. Once you get to the disabled area the line should be fairly short. Usually they have two ride vehicles set for disabled; sometimes they will bring in a normal eight person vehicle if they have everyone in the line able to transfer.

HI,
I am a T5 para and stay in my wheelchair. I have a few questions about Toy Story Mania.

1) I would like to ride in a car designed for wheelchairs. Is there a special line?

2) How many people does the wheelchair car hold in addition to the wheelchair?

3) What is the quickest route from the entrance and also from rope drop, to the ride?

Thank you for your help.

Jean

You will follow the regular queue (either Standby or Fastpass) until you almost get to the stairs. At that time you will be diverted to a special boarding area.

There is a consolidated thread dealing with TSMM, which this will get folded into in a few days.

The special vehicle will allow you in remaining in your chair and one person sitting next to you. You will each have your own cannon. There will be nobody directly behind you, but in the second car in the vehicle there is room for four people.

For the fastest route, head directly toward the back of the park; when you go by the Hat keep it to your left, there is an opening ahead in a wall with a ramp. At the bottom of the ramp turn left and you are just about at the entrance to TSMM.

Cheshire Figment - Thank you very much. I will go to the link.

I have one clarification if you do not mind. When you say there is room for 4 behind the wheelchair, is that the same vehicle. There are three of us touring together, myself with the wheelchair, my dd 13 and her friend 13. It would be nice if we could be together. I am sure the girls will want to sit together. Is this workable?

Thanks for the help

I believe there is only room for the wheelchair and a rider next to them in one car. The next car in line which is a totally separate car, has room for 4 people. It is really a great ride, so don't miss it! :cool2:

A few possibilities

1 - All three of you get in the front area. Depends on how wide the girls are and there will be only two cannon.

2 - You ride by yourself and the girls ride together.

3 - You ride with one girl and the other rides by herself.

However,
there is the possibility in scenarios 2 or 3 that there will be a stranger riding with the single person. This is especially true if there is another group of three waiting.

We will go with number 2. I am fine riding alone or with a stranger. The girls will want to be together. They could squeeze in together but it sounds like the cannons would be a problem. So choice 2 is the best one for us. I am glad we are past the little kid stage. We did that with buzz years ago and the girls shared a shooter and a seat. I tried to have one of them use mine but they could not lean that far.

just bumping this back up for any new info

question about lines:

is it worth getting a fastpass if you use a wheelchair? i know at splash mountain unless the line is very long, wheelchairs get pulled off after only a short bit of queue... how far do you go through the main queue if you use a wheelchair? also, do you get to see mr potato head with a wheelchair? i can walk the line sometime when no one is there (late at night during an uncrowded time) if i have to, cause i want to see that animatronic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!