HUGE Star Wars news

The main problem I had with VIII is that Rian Johnson was brought in for ONE movie, in the middle of a trilogy and decided to throw a lot of things out the window, then expecting the next director to clean it all up...in the 9th installment of the franchise. If Rian Johnson was going to direct VIII AND IX, I wouldn't be as concerned.

I really hated several of the decisions he made with the story, but I agree. Not having an idea of where the trilogy was going to start with excacerbated things.

Speaking only for myself, but not liking VIII was what made me not care about Solo. And I'm a guy that had seen every Star Wars movie in the theater since I was old enough to take myself.

But I didn't harp about it online. Spreading that kind of hate is stupid.

I really hated several of the decisions he made with the story, but I agree. Not having an idea of where the trilogy was going to start with excacerbated things.

Speaking only for myself, but not liking VIII was what made me not care about Solo. And I'm a guy that had seen every Star Wars movie in the theater since I was old enough to take myself.

But I didn't harp about it online. Spreading that kind of hate is stupid.

I saw Solo in the theaters. I thought Ep VII was fine and I really enjoyed Rogue One having no expectations for it, so I didn't consider VIII to be by itself a downward turn...

Were there russians attacking Ep VIII for some reason? possibly, but there were a lot of valid criticisms beyond that.

I said this when TLJ came out, but my dad, who saw the OT in theaters, had seen Coco days before we went and saw TLJ. We walked out of TLJ and he goes, I'd see Coco again before that. I was shocked. But once I saw Coco, I agreed. Very different movies, but if you have a finite amount of cash to spend on entertainment, and one movie is simply more compelling and story driven, it's going to determine where money goes, especially on the rewatchability scale.

And Solo was good, but as I stated before, suffered from bad timing. It wasn't fair to that movie.

Disney, including Kennedy, is going to have to watch movie releases closer. And maybe that's why they are slowing down. Maybe they realize they hurt their bottom line with Solo's release.

I'm all for new Star Wars material. I love Rebels. I enjoyed having a hint of the the OT, but not being bogged down in it. Ahsoka Tano is one my favorite characters, and she isn't a Skywalker or from the OT. I want more of that, of that exploration of the Star Wars galaxy. I was hoping Dave Filoni would take over for Kennedy...but alas.

We finally saw Solo over the weekend, its the only Star Wars movie i havent' seen in the theater. I just didnt have time to get to see it.

I actually really liked it, there were a few things that i didn't like, but overall i was happy with it.

Both of my kids wanted to watch it again.

IMO, those that are saying they are going to give disney their money until Kennedy is gone. They're going to give money to watch 9, there is no question in my mind. You don't buy into a story line for as long as these people have, and then not go see the last one. Sorry, I'm not buying that.

We finally saw Solo over the weekend, its the only Star Wars movie i havent' seen in the theater. I just didnt have time to get to see it.

I actually really liked it, there were a few things that i didn't like, but overall i was happy with it.

Both of my kids wanted to watch it again.

IMO, those that are saying they are going to give disney their money until Kennedy is gone. They're going to give money to watch 9, there is no question in my mind. You don't buy into a story line for as long as these people have, and then not go see the last one. Sorry, I'm not buying that.
We were all excited to see Solo in theaters, until we saw TLJ. We were so disappointed by it, in so many ways, we just weren't motivated to see Solo in theaters. So, instead of $10+ per person to watch it in theaters, we spent $5 for the whole family to watch it on an amazon rental.

Yes, we will see IX, but TBD whether we spend the $10+ per person, or just wait for the amazon rental.

So, yes, you are right that they will see it. But, will they see it in theaters? Will they see it first chance they can get, and spend $$$$, or wait until a chance to see it in an early weekend showtime to save $? Will they see it in theaters numerous times? Or just once? Merchandizing sales?

Every Star Wars fan I know saw each of the prequels in theaters multiple times. I don't know anyone who saw VII, VIII, Rogue, or Solo in theaters more than once.

Bottom line: Kennedy and co. could have made a lot more money for Disney by not disappointing the fans.

Every Star Wars fan I know saw each of the prequels in theaters multiple times. I don't know anyone who saw VII, VIII, Rogue, or Solo in theaters more than once.
This could be simply due to stage of life.
When the originals came out .. I was a pre-teen. The perfect age for the sci-fi excitement and toys. I had the time to watch them again and again and again on VHS in the 80s.
When the prequels came out .. I was a unmarried, working professional in my late 20s. The perfect age to see a movie at midnight release and watch it multiple times. (I saw Episode I twice in the same day). I had plenty of disposable income to buy tons of Star Wars stuff for my collection.

With these movies, I am married with kids .. harder to go see a movie once, let alone twice. :).
Priorities and passions change over 40 years .. heh.

But I agree that Disney is trying too much with Star Wars.
They are trying to push it to girls (even though there were plenty of girls that liked it just the way it was).
The Last Jedi pushed way too much "girl power" for a franchise whose fan base is boys and men.
Solo was too soon. after Last Jedi. But it was a much more "fun" movie in tone.

If Disney wants constant Star Wars excitement, they should just continue releasing quality shows rather than a movie every year. We'll see how this new Resistance show will be.

I really liked Rogue One and Solo but the new trilogy is not good. TLJ was garbage. Saying that I will be in the theatre for IX.

Star Wars died the minute Wicket poked Leia with his stick.

But seriously...

I get why Disney is trying to move on from Luke, Leia, Chewie, Vader, etc. the story has been told and they want to move on to new things.

Frankly they should never have made any of the 4 movies they have and gone in a totally new direction.

My problem is summed up in Kathleen Kennedy’s favorite t shirt “The Force is Female”. Disney is first and foremost pushing an agenda. If you agree with it you won’t see it. But for some of us it makes the new movies cringe-worthy.

Why is Rey a Mary Sue? Because the movies must have “strong women”. Give me a Sarah Conner over a Rey every time. Give me a character with fears and doubts who overcomes adversity. But The Agenda demands all women are flawless.

So I’ve lost interest. It’s not even about a boycott. I don’t watch romantic comedies because I have no interest in the stories. I won’t watch Star Wars for the same reason.

Disney can do whatever’s it wants. But I am not going to pay to be lectured at like some Freshman in a Womyn’s Studies class.

THIS. Exactly.

I saw Solo in the theaters. I thought Ep VII was fine and I really enjoyed Rogue One having no expectations for it, so I didn't consider VIII to be by itself a downward turn...

Were there russians attacking Ep VIII for some reason? possibly, but there were a lot of valid criticisms beyond that.

I'd rather not go over it for fear of getting into the no politics rule, but you can read about the Russian stuff online.

I'd rather not go over it for fear of getting into the no politics rule, but you can read about the Russian stuff online.
Let's please not go over any of this any more, with the "no politics" rule being as good a reason as any. :)
Everything that can be said about Ep.VIII has been, a million times over.

You don’t have to buy it. I’m sure you’re one of the people who didn’t believe there’s be a Solo boycott, and now that we’ve seen proof you still deny the boycott and use the “timing” excuse.

Yes I love Star Wars. Yes I saw every one in the theater (except ANH since I was only 1 years old). I saw the prequels at least 10 times each, I saw TFA 22 times in the theater. But I only saw TLJ once and I skipped Solo.

Your premise is wrong. Your premise is that I’ve followed a story for so long how can I drop it at the end. Like I’m reading The Lord of the Rings up until the Ring is destroyed and I don’t finish the book through Sam getting married and Frodo leaving the with the Elves.

That’s wrong. The correct analogy would be that I read right up until the Ring is destroyed, then the novel changes and there are 50 pages telling me anyone who likes stories about Elves or Hobbits is an idiot. The novel says that I’m a spoiled rich kid who has free time to read but if I was poor I’d have to be working. At that point I choose not to finish the book.

How can I love Star Wars for 38 years then drop it? I didn’t leave Star Wars, Star Wars left me. Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson hate me. Why would I support them with my money? I’m not desperate to find out how the story ends. I know how it ends: “white men have white privilege and are evil”. There I spoiled Ep 9 for you.

So, no, me and a lot of other people will skip the lecture.

I really liked Rogue One and Solo but the new trilogy is not good. TLJ was garbage. Saying that I will be in the theatre for IX.

I enjoyed Rogue and Solo MUCH more than TFA & TLJ. I saw the very first Star Wars at the Galleria mall in Houston Tx in 1977, it was absolutely amazing. For the first time in my life I doubt I'm going to the theater to see the next Star Wars (IX) film. I have really tried to like the new trilogy but can't. Seeing Luke go out the way he did was just unacceptable. I'll probably watch IX from Netflix or when it comes on TV.

You don’t have to buy it. I’m sure you’re one of the people who didn’t believe there’s be a Solo boycott, and now that we’ve seen proof you still deny the boycott and use the “timing” excuse.

Yes I love Star Wars. Yes I saw every one in the theater (except ANH since I was only 1 years old). I saw the prequels at least 10 times each, I saw TFA 22 times in the theater. But I only saw TLJ once and I skipped Solo.

Your premise is wrong. Your premise is that I’ve followed a story for so long how can I drop it at the end. Like I’m reading The Lord of the Rings up until the Ring is destroyed and I don’t finish the book through Sam getting married and Frodo leaving the with the Elves.

That’s wrong. The correct analogy would be that I read right up until the Ring is destroyed, then the novel changes and there are 50 pages telling me anyone who likes stories about Elves or Hobbits is an idiot. The novel says that I’m a spoiled rich kid who has free time to read but if I was poor I’d have to be working. At that point I choose not to finish the book.

How can I love Star Wars for 38 years then drop it? I didn’t leave Star Wars, Star Wars left me. Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson hate me. Why would I support them with my money? I’m not desperate to find out how the story ends. I know how it ends: “white men have white privilege and are evil”. There I spoiled Ep 9 for you.

Agreed 100%, however we all react a bit differently of course.

You are far from alone to those no longer interested/going to IX.

I'm with you on his, but I am going to IX asap.

But have to admit, the main reason I am going is to see if they really indeed pulled the plug on OT fans. If Lando was a thrown bone-that's not going to cut it IMO.

Not one bit interested in the current story line and characters and arcs.

If they indeed have moved on, it may as well been a "kinda sequel" not a "trilogy", as pretty much everybody is dead at the end of IX (factoring in Leia is actually dead) and just started IX as a new trilogy.

While I think the poster you were replying to made a big generalization with their statement I think you took what they said way to personally.

Last Jedi was terrible and put a stake in the franchise for me

Solo I recently seen and after all the crap I heard about it, I enjoyed it very much. Much better then last Jedi

Just gotta realize the solo lead guy doesn’t remind me of solo at all but it still enjoyed it

I think she needs to go as the head

Last Jedi was terrible and put a stake in the franchise for me

Solo I recently seen and after all the crap I heard about it, I enjoyed it very much. Much better then last Jedi

Just gotta realize the solo lead guy doesn’t remind me of solo at all but it still enjoyed it

I think she needs to go as the head

So you disliked a movie so much you'll never watch the franchise again but then went and saw Solo and liked it.

I didn't have an opinion on a "solo" boycott. I didnt see it in the theaters either....its the first one i missed, i simply didn't have time to see it, nor do i try to make time to.

I will not miss 9, sorry you're going to, i don't know what to tell you.
Your premise is wrong.

Cool!!!! everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Congratulations!!! I bought some cookies at lunch, do you want me to ship you a few?

I just stated an opinion bud, that's all.

"Proof" :laughing:

Solo will still turn a profit on DVD and streaming, and Star Wars will indeed move on without those who are stuck in its past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!