HUGE Star Wars news

"Proof" :laughing:

Solo will still turn a profit on DVD and streaming, and Star Wars will indeed move on without those who are stuck in its past.

I think it's naive to lump everyone into being "stuck in the past" who don't like the direction of Ep VIII and that Star Wars will somehow gain lots of new fans due to it. There's rumors that they've already cancelled Rian Johnson's other trilogy.

Agreed, they definitely diminished their audience/fan base size.
I don’t know if they really did that, I think you have a new generation that likes the new ones. There is nothing wrong with that.

My boys loved solo, they loved 7 and 8.

I’m a big Star Wars fan myself, but I just haven’t got so bent out of shape as some people have.

I wasn’t expecting solo to be good, and I was surprised, I thought it was good. I also thought rogue one was amazing.

So this is huge Star Wars news I think (hope) we can all get behind. I'm sure most of you have already seen and read up on this but I'm so excited for it:

the-mandalorian.jpg

The list of directors they've got lined up is crazy!

I think Disney is less concerned with the aging OT fans then they are the newer, younger fans. The aging OT fans didn't much care for the prequels either, but a whole new generation did. My own kids like the OT, like the prequels, they are ok with the new trilogy though they didn't care for VIII much either. My rather precocious 9 year old daughter was complaining about the idiotic plot. But my kids love Clone Wars and Rebels. Lots of ways to reach the next money spenders. You don't really want to abandon the old money spenders, but given a choice, I think Disney is more interested in the younger set than the graying beards.
My teenage ds liked Solo a lot. In fact the other day he mentioned he didn't understand why it didn't do better. I should note he's a kid who does not follow any social media from their fan base or anything like that, and isn't a megafan of the franchise, he just likes the movies like a "normal" person. It wouldn't be surprising if this is more the demographic they are going for in the future.

I think it's naive to lump everyone into being "stuck in the past" who don't like the direction of Ep VIII and that Star Wars will somehow gain lots of new fans due to it. There's rumors that they've already cancelled Rian Johnson's other trilogy.

It think it's pretty easy to do so for everyone who complains that Ep.VIII didn't fit with their expectation/demands (or perhaps more charitably "hope"??) based on their life's experience with the trilogies. Especially the "boycotters"! The poster I was replying to is very much stuck in his own SW past, and that's what we all see in so much gnashing and wailing about the betrayals of the current trilogy.

I don't necessarily think TLJ on its own is going to draw in "lots of new fans", but I do think Disney has a broader vision for their future audience - which is the children of today, not the children of the 70s/80s. My young daughters (for whom Solo was their first SW theater movie) love the Star Wars of today, as do most of their friends, and I suspect that is only going to grow as they get more exposure to new SW movies, shows, games and toys. There are two new shows coming out in the next year, then another movie, plus Galaxy's Edge. All this is why Disney management feels good about the direction of LucasFilm under Kathleen Kennedy.

I have enjoyed Star Wars my whole life, but I don't feel like they owe me anything as a longtime fan: I'm just happy to keep going along for the ride.

I hope this is true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter