Humboldt hockey bus crash

Oh my goodness -

"HUMBOLDT, Sask. — Saskatchewan's Ministry of Justice says one of the deceased in Friday's fatal crash involving the Humboldt Broncos bus was misidentified.

The ministry says the body of Parker Tobin was mistaken for that of Xavier Labelle.

It says Labelle is injured but alive, and Tobin is among the 15 people who died.

The Office of the Chief Coroner has apologized for the misidentification."

Their poor parents!
Oh my gosh that’s terrible. I remember reading a statement from Parker Tobin’s mother saying that he was alive but that’s all they knew at that time. What a terrible blow that would be to learn otherwise.
A relief for Xavier’s family though.

Such a heartbreaking situation. :sad1:

Reactions: Iya
View attachment 315041

In case anyone missed it, at the Jets/Blackhawks game on Saturday all the players had the word Broncos as their nameplate for the entire game.

The jerseys have all been signed and will be auctioned off. A verified gofundme page has also been set up and has reached or surpassed $4 million dollars in just over 48 hours.

I have nothing to do with it, but if you can spare a few dollars, please donate.
I saw that and thought it was such a nice tribute. It brought tears to my eyes. I didn’t realize they were auctioning them off though. Good for them. Money won’t bring those loved ones back but it’s a way that people can at least feel like they’re being supportive at this difficult time.

Oh my gosh that’s terrible. I remember reading a statement from Parker Tobin’s mother saying that he was alive but that’s all they knew at that time. What a terrible blow that would be to learn otherwise.
A relief for Xavier’s family though.

Such a heartbreaking situation. :sad1:
So heartbreaking to find out that your son is actually dead when you thought otherwise...but yes, im happy for the other family. All around, such a heartbreaking tragedy. :sad: I seriously cannot imagine what these people are going through.

Anyone see pics of the site? There's literally NOTHING around for miles! Its a completely deserted area. i'd like to know how this happened? Just curious.

Incredibly sad story.

Have the rest of that league's playoffs been cancelled?

So sad. My son played minor hockey for 13 years and did his fair share of bus travel. Those boys and us families formed a real bond. Like one big family. I can’t even begin to imagine the devastation the survivors and families must be feeling. The whole town too. We’re from a small town in BC about the same size as Humboldt and a tragedy like this is unfathomable. Just heartbreaking.

ETA I thought it was a nice tribute in Winnipeg today putting the Broncos name on the jerseys.

I was at the Jets game Saturday, the tribute was well done, classy. Such sadness for these families.

So heartbreaking to find out that your son is actually dead when you thought otherwise...but yes, im happy for the other family. All around, such a heartbreaking tragedy. :sad: I seriously cannot imagine what these people are going through.

Anyone see pics of the site? There's literally NOTHING around for miles! Its a completely deserted area. i'd like to know how this happened? Just curious.

Wonder if those trees on the one and only property made it hard to see someone coming that way. Didn't they say the truck ran the stop sign. It also had a blinking light they said. Others have died at that spot too.

It is so so sad. The boys they mixed up must have been in really bad shape not to know who was who. Heard it took dental records to say they had the wrong names.

Wonder if those trees on the one and only property made it hard to see someone coming that way. Didn't they say the truck ran the stop sign. It also had a blinking light they said. Others have died at that spot too.

It is so so sad. The boys they mixed up must have been in really bad shape not to know who was who. Heard it took dental records to say they had the wrong names.

The National Post has a good article showing the intersection from various angles. http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...hat-the-photos-show-about-the-point-of-impact

I read online that they realized the mistake when the patient woke up as they were removing his bandages. The government representative at the press conference today said that family had been involved in the initial mistaken identification of the deceased player, but wouldn't get into details.

M.

There are hockey sticks on almost every door left outside in my city, and across the country. Driving back from Wal-mart today I cried all the way home.
When I got in I placed my late daughter’s outside.

What a beautiful gesture mommasita. I'm sure this must be hard for you as you can understand the pain of the people left behind. Hugs to you.

There are hockey sticks on almost every door left outside in my city, and across the country. Driving back from Wal-mart today I cried all the way home.
When I got in I placed my late daughter’s outside.

Oh wow! That's amazing. What city? Are you in Saskatchewan?

I just can’t get over the team being named the Broncos. That gave me goosebumps.

I saw the original tweet about the hockey stick tribute Sunday, and then again today on facebook. So touching...
As I left work today I tied green & gold ribbons to one of the kids hockey sticks and placed it next to the front door. May the Humboldt Broncos community find strength in the outpouring from a nation truly grieving along with them.

Now i see....the trees can be very dangerous as it completely blocks ones view! During the day its hard to see someone coming, perhaps its easier at night with the headlights on. Either way, so sad all around. :(

Last edited:
Now i see....the trees can be very dangerous as it completely blocks ones view! During the day its hard to see someone coming, perhaps its easier at night with the headlights on. Either way, so sad all around. :(
I really don't see why the trees matter that much, since there is apparently a stop sign and even blinking red lights. It is clear from the accident scene that the truck did not stop. I'm not sure it even slowed down. Unless there was some sort of mechanical failure, it seems the truck driver was at fault.

It is a horrible, horrible tragedy. My children and I were talking about the wonderful hockey stick tribute this morning.

I really don't see why the trees matter that much, since there is apparently a stop sign and even blinking red lights. It is clear from the accident scene that the truck did not stop. I'm not sure it even slowed down. Unless there was some sort of mechanical failure, it seems the truck driver was at fault.

It is a horrible, horrible tragedy. My children and I were talking about the wonderful hockey stick tribute this morning.

A big maybe ...the bus at least would have seen the truck coming down that road fast. Or the truck driver could have seen the bus coming to the intersection. But again huge maybe. I always watch when coming to intersections even if I have the right of way. I'm guessing the truck driver is just going say he never saw the sign or the bus. Guessing the truck driver was distracted by something, even if he was daydreaming. He will have nightmares for a long time.

Yes i heard the truck driver went through the stop sign. And if the bus came from the other side of the tree's, they couldnt see the truck coming. I dont really know which direction the bus and truck came from. Either way, awful awful. Makes me so sad to think about it. The poor families of the deceased. Cant imagine how they feel. :(

A big maybe ...the bus at least would have seen the truck coming down that road fast. Or the truck driver could have seen the bus coming to the intersection. But again huge maybe. I always watch when coming to intersections even if I have the right of way. I'm guessing the truck driver is just going say he never saw the sign or the bus. Guessing the truck driver was distracted by something, even if he was daydreaming. He will have nightmares for a long time.
Yes i heard the truck driver went through the stop sign. And if the bus came from the other side of the tree's, they couldnt see the truck coming. I dont really know which direction the bus and truck came from. Either way, awful awful. Makes me so sad to think about it. The poor families of the deceased. Cant imagine how they feel. :(
It is true that the trees may have blocked the bus driver from seeing the truck and potentially preventing the collision, so definitely a possible contributing factor. If the truck had stopped, though, it would not matter. It's so sad.

My first thought when I heard about this collision was that a driver was distracted, likely by a phone. I really, really hate seeing drivers staring at their phones. And it happens way too often! I sometimes honk at them, but I'm sure they're generally clueless, so have no idea why I'm honking. I watched golf on TV the last couple weekends, and there were some good PSAs with professional golfers about distracted driving. I hope something sticks! I'm generally against nanny state options, but I'm more and more open to some sort of phone/text blocking electronics to be mandated for automobiles. It's just too dangerous. (Of course, we will then see a huge market for electronics to defeat the blockers.) End Rant...

Last edited:

Bus was travelling due north. Truck was travelling due west. The grove of trees is at the southeast corner of the intersection, blocking each driver from seeing the other vehicle.

It sure appears that the truck didn't stop at the sign. It wound up mostly west of the intersection. If the truck had stopped and was crawling across the intersection, I'm guessing the remains of the collision would be mostly north.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter