hummus

wifeofjack

Mouseketeer
Does anybody have a quick, easy receipe for hummus? I have lots of cans of chick peas in the pantry and want to use them up. I would like to empty the pantry and start out fresh with new stuff but don't have the heart to just start tossing what is in there. It is going to be a couple of weeks of eating out of cans for this household and thought the chick peas and hummus would be a good place to start.

(Serves 8)
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
3 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed butter)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 - 2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon each cumin and paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt

Drain the beans and reserve the liquid. Process the beans until smooth in a food processor using the steel knife, or mash them well with a potato masher or fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be moist and spreadable. If it is too dry, add enough of the reserved bean liquid to achieve the desired consistency.

Nutrition information per 1/4-cup serving: 101 calories, 4 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, 28% of calories from fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium
We typically replace the canned chick peas with dried, which we prepare before-hand, just to take a little bit of sodium out of the recipe and provide a fresher flavor.

Just a warning, though: We don't put artificial preservatives in our hummus, nor do we pasteurize it. As a result, it doesn't last as long as store-bought hummus. I note a distinct change in flavor (not for the better) after just four days, and after a week, I would absolutely discard it.

Close to Bicker's, I use a can of drained chick peas (reserve the liquid like he says in case you need it to thin the dip), 1/4 cup of tahini, 4-5 cloves garlic, teaspoon salt, tablespoon cumin, about 3 tablespoons lemon juice and a little dash of olive oil. Mix it all up in a blender and serve with warmed pita bread.

You can buy the tahini either in the international section of your grocery store or where the condiments are (they'll have pickles, grape leaves, worcestershire sauce, and things like that there).

Yes i have a hummus recipe.
Hummus Ingredients:
chickpeas, Tahini, garlic, lemon juice, salt and cold water.
  1. Add tahini, cold water, olive oil, cumin, salt, garlic and lemon juice to a food processor. Puree until smooth.
  2. Add in the chickpeas. Mix all the ingredients in hummus grinder and Puree for 3-4 minutes, pausing halfway to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until the hummus is smooth. If it seems too thick, add in another tablespoon or two of water.
  3. Taste and season with additional salt, cumin, and/or lemon juice if needed.
  4. Serve immediately, garnished with your desired toppings. Or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.

This is a funny zombie thread with folks suggesting using dried chick peas when the OP asked for a hummus recipe in order to use up the abundance of canned chick peas.

I use Navy beans, I use some of the juice from the beans and add some plain olive oil and then add spices for different tastes. I just like Navy white beans

You don't need a recipe. Hummus is chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Anything else, like olive oil or spices can be added or dusted on top to taste. When you start, reserve some of your ingredients so you always have more if you need to adjust. It's all about adjusting to your taste.

WOW, how did this resurface? It was a very long time ago that I originally posted this. Oh well, all things old become new again.

I have no idea why this came back lol- I was going to ask something else and popped in so here it is. Bickers wasn’t quite as creamy as I wanted Sooo I got an amazing recipe from someone about 2 years back who said the secret to non awful is the tahini being from that part of the world- to use waaay more lemon and tahini than seems reasonable and to use a good deal of cumin ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!