Hurricane Irma Trip 9/7 - 9/18 2017

Jimmy Mouse

My other car is the Monorail
All I can say is what a great trip! We were watching the hurricane close and decided we were not going to cancel our trip. We stayed at the Contemporary and never felt more safe! on arrival day there was a line of bumper to bumper traffic from before the GA/FL boarder all the way down the turnpike, leaving Florida,(over 200 miles) but we drove on. When we arrived there were no cars at the entrance. No cars inside Disney for a few miles. I started to worry a little and asked my wife, "Are the closed?" but we then seen a few vehicles. After check in at 10:00 am we went swimming for a little bit, maybe 20 people at the pool. Around 3 we went to Disney Springs. It was empty. We were able to walk up to T Rex and grab dinner around 5:00. Friday at MK was spooky. There were no lines at any ride. We were able to walk up and get on anything we wanted all day. My daughters got to meet the mayor and got Jr. Mayor for the day! it was so cool!. Everywhere we went, cast members were handing us FP+ paper tickets and we got free Mickey bars! They even let us stay on a few rides like 7DMT and a few others. We couldn't stay on Space Mountain because the loading dock is separate but they told us to turn away from the exit and go around the wall so we could get right back on. I had FP+ booked for us but didn't use them on Friday at MK or Saturday at Epcot. Saturday was the same. When we arrived at Epcot I took pics and no one but some cast members were in them. No line at FEA, no line at TT, MS etc. etc. Sunday and Monday were pretty good! The Contemporary had movies, dance parties, character meet and greets, etc. Food was discounted also. $20 for adult / $15 child at Chef Mickeys! Our 2 girls ate well and so did I lol. The storm wasn't that bad Sunday night. I filmed a little but slept through the worst part. There was some damage around the park and some ones car got smashed by a tree. I made sure I parked away from anything that could fall so our car was fine. Tuesday the 12th we went back to MK and again, no crowds. Tuesday night MNNSHP was almost empty. The rest of the week, very light crowds. On Thursday we decided to move our Friday MNNSHP to Sunday. That was a mistake! Saturday the 16th and Sunday the 17th were crazy busy! the party was wide open! A CM told me that a lot of people moved their vacation one week ahead which makes since why it was so crowded on that weekend. We were going to go home Sunday morning but Disney offered me a 40% room discount to stay one more night and converted 4 tickets to 1 day park hopper tickets with a 2 year expiration. They also refunded the other day (only about $40 per person because on a 9 day trip the last few days don't cost much) but we put that towards the second MNNSHP. The also gave us 3 non inventory FP+'s each day so we could ride whatever, whenever. We also got our FOP back with no time stamp! All in all, best Disney trip ever!

9/7 11:10 am. We're here!
dis20171.jpg

After check in we had to hit Chef Mickey's!
dis20172.jpg

After a trip to the pool where my kids inhaled water and puked, we showered and headed to Disney Springs!
dis20173.jpg

9/8 Magic Kingdom and it was pretty empty. My oldest Mayor for the day and no wait on most rides.
dis20174.jpg

9/9 Epcot then HS due to the parks closing the next day. Again, no waits and a ghost town.
dis20175.jpg

And then Irma came. Open arcade with no one there most of the time. Luckily our car was safe (top right) but not so much for others. California grill was empty but the food was still good!
dis20176.jpg
some more pics but too many to post them all!

dis20177.jpg

dis20178.jpg dis20179.jpg

Till next year ....

IMG_1656.JPG

Last edited:

Enjoyed your TR. Glad you had a good time despite the storm!

We were there just before Frances in 2004 but got out of Dodge only because DH HAD to get back to work the following Monday, and we weren't sure we'd be able to do that with the airport closed over the weekend. We still have regrets about it, though, and sometimes still wish we stayed. We would've been at the YC where we were before our cruise, and were headed back to afterward. As it was, we just barely made our flight out, which I'd changed at 5am from our stateroom. That year there were several storms and I'd followed reports from the World then, too.

Too bad you made the switch for the Halloween party - I would've fought you tooth and nail on that, lol. Live and learn, though. There's always something on every trip you wish you'd done differently! It gives you a reason to go back though!

Enjoyed your TR. Glad you had a good time despite the storm!

We were there just before Frances in 2004 but got out of Dodge only because DH HAD to get back to work the following Monday, and we weren't sure we'd be able to do that with the airport closed over the weekend. We still have regrets about it, though, and sometimes still wish we stayed. We would've been at the YC where we were before our cruise, and were headed back to afterward. As it was, we just barely made our flight out, which I'd changed at 5am from our stateroom. That year there were several storms and I'd followed reports from the World then, too.

Too bad you made the switch for the Halloween party - I would've fought you tooth and nail on that, lol. Live and learn, though. There's always something on every trip you wish you'd done differently! It gives you a reason to go back though!
Our Tuesday Halloween party was perfect! very light crowds. We decided to switch because Friday night parties are usually more crowded than a school night. I didn't know that Orlando schools were closed. Plus I really think they went over the 20000 cap. I swear the Christmas party we attended last year was less crowded and I know it was sold out. We already booked our next trip (did Bounce Back for the discount) and were going the same time. This time only one party on Tuesday :) MK_TOMRLD1_20170913_40482704399311.jpg

that is amazing! we were there just after (the 15th) and MK was definitely lower crowds than usual!
We did HS and Epcot on the 16th and it wasn't bad at all. MK on the 17th was pretty busy. Probably the same as the first week of December was last year.

We did HS and Epcot on the 16th and it wasn't bad at all. MK on the 17th was pretty busy. Probably the same as the first week of December was last year.
I think a lot of people flew in Fri or Sat, and a lot of people hit MK first. I was at AK & HS on Sunday, and it was crowded but not unmanageable at all

I think a lot of people flew in Fri or Sat, and a lot of people hit MK first. I was at AK & HS on Sunday, and it was crowded but not unmanageable at all
yeah it was pretty manageable, plus we had some paper FP+ and some non inventory FP so it made the day super easy.

Just curious, anyone with reservations during the week of Irma reschedule for the week after? I’ve read the parks were crazy!

Just finished updating the pics. I have so many more I could post but I think I posted enough lol.

Just curious, anyone with reservations during the week of Irma reschedule for the week after? I’ve read the parks were crazy!

We were there during Irma and the week after. CM did an amazing job making magic for everyone the days leading up to, and after Irma. The week during was empty- it was fantastic! Later in the week crowds got to be quite heavy. It felt even worse than it actually was because of the emptiness the previous week.

sounds like a once in a lifetime trip!
Pretty much. We were in near empty parks the week after 9/11 but this was less crowded as far as I can remember. Normally crowds don't both us. We like to just take advantage of just being at Disney and are never in a hurry to ride everything. We are all night owls so we like to close the park. I think it's the best time to take in a few favorite rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter