Hurricane Irma Updates ***Check First Post for closures and more info***

So if I'm reading that correctly sustained winds of about 50 MPH with gusts up to 75 MPH.

Yes. It wouldn't surprise me if it was off by a little, but I really doubt that Orlando goth hit with 100 mph sustained winds.

They measured 90 MPH wind gusts at the Contemporary.

Right..."gusts"

Gusts are dangerous...no doubt...but both Mother Nature and man made can hold its ground a little better/longer against guts...in sustained...physics take complete control.

I'm surprised and pleased that there is so little damage in the Orlando area. We can all breathe a sigh of relief and get back to conjecturing about the lack of bathrooms in TSL and the lack of benches everywhere. :)

There's little damage to Disney and the parks. Plenty of locals lost property (my fence is destroyed, one tree almost fell on my house - it missed my front window by inches). My husband's friend lost his roof during the hurricane - while he was in the house. My neighborhood has a decent amount of damage. So, I don't think Orlando suffered little damage, but it could have been far, far worse.

We fared far better than the Keys though.:( We don't even know the number casualties yet.

Last edited:
Right..."gusts"

Gusts are dangerous...no doubt...but both Mother Nature and man made can hold its ground a little better/longer against guts...in sustained...physics take complete control.

Actually, if you understand the physics of wind, you'd know that it's pretty much the opposite. Most of the damage in storms comes from gusts, not the sustained winds, due to the sudden, exponential increase in force. If you want to look at it in simple terms: the sustained winds weaken, the gusts deal the final blow. Most objects can withstand sustained winds, better than gusts. Though again, long periods of sustained hurricane force winds, will do damage.

Seeing some of the pictures from the one web site, it looks like it was a good thing with limited amount of damage. Who knows if there had been more damage, the parks would not have been ready for visitors anytime soon. My uncle and aunt who have a residence near the Port Charlotte area where the eye past though. (It was a few miles to the east.) They were evacuated by the local officials. We heard from them briefly. They were OK and their property had minimal damage. As my uncle said many trees and signs down how the more important limited and minor flooding in their area as they were prepping for the worst. Right now they are pretty much out of power like many places within Florida. Same thing for my friends who live outside of Orlando. They had limited damage but the neighborhood is nothing but downed trees and the like. They too are on generator power.

Insurance companies were estimating payout up to 200 billion dollars! There was an announcement yesterday the estimate of damage would be about a 1/4 of that around 50 Billion if not less. One report had even a lower number around 30 billion. Still alot of money but nothing what they had estimated before. Point being this limited amount of damage is going to help the local economy recover faster and easier. By the looks of it, Disney will be cleaned up in a few days or so.

Actually, if you understand the physics of wind, you'd know that it's pretty much the opposite. Most of the damage in storms comes from gusts, not the sustained winds, due to the sudden, exponential increase in force. If you want to look at it in simple terms: the sustained winds weaken, the gusts deal the final blow. Most objects can withstand sustained winds, better than gusts. Though again, long periods of sustained hurricane force winds, will do damage.

More for rigid structures I would say...flexibility has been biologically programmed into many tropical species over millions of years to adjust to wind gusts.
Most modern civic engineering projects have been designed specifically with some type of flexibility in place to allow for gusts..."wind sheer" basically

Did anyone notice what the palm trees were doing during the storm?
...they weren't moving...
It was more the oak style trees that uproot/snap

However nothing built or grown is really in a good position when they get 140 mph gusts OR 100 sustained in the eye wall.

...I'll continue my armchair NOAA research during the next round...your points are taken.

The weather channel did an excellent simulation of what happened...

Basically the eyewall tried to go through a replacement cycle while it was hung up over Cuba..slowed down too much, and a dry front from the gulf had enough time to crash into the backside and lessen a lot of the force of the storm...

Really fascinating stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter