Hurricane Maria!!

We are supposed to be on the Halloween Cruise leaving on Sept. 22nd. Looks like Maria will impact Nassau on that Saturday. I wonder if we will still be sailing?

We are supposed to be on the Halloween Cruise leaving on Sept. 22nd. Looks like Maria will impact Nassau on that Saturday. I wonder if we will still be sailing?

Definitely keep checking on it just in case... seems like Maria should track northeast but you never know clearly what the storm will do till it gets there it seems.

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 11.50.35 AM.png

It looks bad for Puerto Rico. I am on a cruise out of there in January, should be interesting to see what happens. I don't PIF until the end of October so I guess I have options. It's so sad to see all these beautiful locations and homes destroyed.

It looks bad for Puerto Rico. I am on a cruise out of there in January, should be interesting to see what happens. I don't PIF until the end of October so I guess I have options. It's so sad to see all these beautiful locations and homes destroyed.

Ditto - we are booked on the 1/28 sailing. We are (were?) trying out concierge which means I should PIF before they take our requests next week. With these storms though I do wonder what is going to happen to the port in PR... :sad1: I read they are closing SJU at 7pm EST tonight.

Ditto - we are booked on the 1/28 sailing. We are (were?) trying out concierge which means I should PIF before they take our requests next week. With these storms though I do wonder what is going to happen to the port in PR... :sad1: I read they are closing SJU at 7pm EST tonight.

Right, well you'll have a week to hear about the status. It'll hard to know the rebuilding timeline. We are on the same cruise (hopefully).

It looks like Maria will miss the Bahamas :worship:
View attachment 270751
that track is just the probability of where the center will be. If the center is to the west side of that cone and the storm reaches out 200+ miles from the center................then Maria will definitely impact the Bahamas.

Keep in mind that Irma was impacting both the East and West coast of Florida at the same time the eye was passing through west Orlando.

I am on the 1/14 SJ PR sailing. PIF is 10/15. Hearing words like "catastrophic" and PR in same sentence make me unsettled as well, after seeing the damage to the other islands. If I see the other cruise lines pull their departures from PR and remark that it's unknown when they can return, I may cancel. Praying first for them. I've been to PR before and found everyone to be kind and welcoming.

The models have been able to predict Maria extremely well and have all been consistent with each other in the 3-day ranges. Even the Ensemble members are surprisingly uniform. It is unlikely that either Nassau or CC will be affected by anything more severe than a typical thunderstorm. Maria may make the weekend Bahamas cruises grey and wet, but odds of them being cancelled are very slim.

The models have been able to predict Maria extremely well and have all been consistent with each other in the 3-day ranges. Even the Ensemble members are surprisingly uniform. It is unlikely that either Nassau or CC will be affected by anything more severe than a typical thunderstorm. Maria may make the weekend Bahamas cruises grey and wet, but odds of them being cancelled are very slim.
based on the projected cone of uncertainty above, if the eye moves to the west side of that cone toward the Bahamas, cc could very well be affected. Keep in mind tropical storm force winds can rage out more than 100 miles from the center.

Miami is 185 or so miles from Nassau, so that gives you some idea of scale of the map above. The left edge of that cone is aprox 50 miles from Nassau and CC and that is well withing striking distance.

If the storm stays centered in the cone as shown, the affects would most likely be minimal as you stated.

I'm not basing my statements on that cone of uncertainty, I'm basing it on the official NHC cone, which is much tighter than the Accuweather map. That's because Maria is being modeled exceptionally well and the models are all pretty much in agreement over the next 3 days. It is really rare for such agreement among models so the NHC is taking that in to account.

Currently the extend of 39+ MPH sustained winds is about 120 miles from the center of the storm. CC is 150 miles from the extreme edge of the NHC cone of uncertainty at closest approach, estimated to be around 8 PM Saturday. As such my statement remains the same, it is unlikely that either Nassau or CC will be affected by anything more severe than a typical thunderstorm. But note my use of the term "unlikely", because we are talking about weather prediction and there are no "sure things" when it comes to that topic.

Meteorology - It's Still Just Guessing .... :cool2: :rolleyes1

When I went to bed last night at 11pm the weather channel was saying one thing. When I woke up 8 hrs later the reality was quite different. It is all a best guess but I believe nothing til I see it after the last few weeks.

Prayers for those in harms way. It will be a rather extensive clean up. Seeing not a leaf on trees is telling as to the force of the storms.

Maria has been downgraded to a 3 as it approaches the Dominican Republic... given that power is out for all of PR it'll be awhile before we're given a good idea of the extent of damage there. :scared:

Drudge and daily mail have a lot of photos. Officials in San Juan are using words like destroyed and apacolyptic. I'm not sure how this will affect cruises over the next few months. Hopefully DCL will let you know before the PIF date on your January cruises. Since it's not just a port of call, but a embarkation port I wouldn't think they could wait until the last minute to make a decision.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter