Hurricane Ophelia Hits Ireland

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
while it might not be in the same scale as the recent devastating hurricanes which hit the Caribbean, Florida and Porta Rica, this is major for Ireland.

We dont get hurricanes here and the this storm is the most powerful to hit our island in over 50 years.

It is now 11.30am and the country is basically gone into lockdown. The storm is expected to make landfall around now in the south part of the country and move northwards over the entire country over the next 12 hours.

I just checked the main national broadcaster RTE website and as I write this there are 22,000 homes and business across the country without power.

1. The Department of Education have closed all schools, colleges and education facilities
2. The Department of Health have cancelled all outpatient appointments and non essential hospital procedures
3. The national transport company has stopped all national train and bus services
4. Dublin city transport has stopped all city buses and trams
5. City and county councils across the country have closed all parks and public buildings
6. Some national grocery stores and coffee chains have closed all their units across the country

I dont work Mondays, I usually go to college but Im at home today. Im in Dublin which may not get the worst of the winds but still we have made preparations. We have moved garden furniture to the shed and have prepared food in case the power goes out. If you want to follow it on twitter check out this hashtag
#Opheila

Last edited:
thanks @Soldier's*Sweeties the rural areas in the south of the country, Cork, Kerry and Waterford are getting battered right now. The main danger is falling trees, as its early in the Autumn (Fall) and the trees still have alot of leaves. Just saw on Twitter that rain is horizontal in Cork, still dry here in Dublin but the wind is picking up

thanks @Soldier's*Sweeties the rural areas in the south of the country, Cork, Kerry and Waterford are getting battered right now. The main danger is falling trees, as its early in the Autumn (Fall) and the trees still have alot of leaves. Just saw on Twitter that rain is horizontal in Cork, still dry here in Dublin but the wind is picking up
Ugh that will definitely be a mess. I grew up in FL so I know all about the stress of the these storms and the aftermath. Keep us posted!

Holy Moly Tink, stay safe and for the love of all things do not drive into floodwaters and you should be fine.

In this house we have had 2 floods in a couple of yrs that isolated our neighborhood into an island. It is crazy.

Pro tip, do not live even remotely near a river.

thanks @The Mystery Machine it hasnt reached where I am yet and hopefully we wont get the worst part. I have plenty of food, candles and a battery torch and dont plan on leaving the house today. I am inland, in the middle of suburbia so in no danger from flooding. Going to work tomorrow will be interesting though, hopefully there wont be too much trees down

A dear friend (A nun) retired back to county Clare after living in Florida and Mississippi and through many a hurricane here for over forty years.

Have been thinking how crazy it is for her to experience a hurricane back home in Ireland. Thinking about all in the path and hope everyone stays safe.

first fatality now being reported, a woman has died in Co Waterford when a tree fell on her car :(

while it might not be in the same scale as the recent devastating hurricanes which hit the Caribbean, Florida and Porta Rica, this is major for Ireland.

We dont get hurricanes here and the this storm is the most powerful to hit our island in over 50 years.

It is now 11.30am and the country is basically gone into lockdown. The storm is expected to make landfall around now in the south part of the country and move northwards over the entire country over the next 12 hours.

I just checked the main national broadcaster RTE website and as I write this there are 22,000 homes and business across the country without power.

1. The Department of Education have closed all schools, colleges and education facilities
2. The Department of Health have cancelled all outpatient appointments and non essential hospital procedures
3. The national transport company has stopped all national train and bus services
4. Dublin city transport has stopped all city buses and trams
5. City and county councils across the country have closed all parks and public buildings
6. Some national grocery stores and coffee chains have closed all their units across the country

I dont work Mondays, I usually go to college but Im at home today. Im in Dublin which may not get the worst of the winds but still we have made preparations. We have moved garden furniture to the shed and have prepared food in case the power goes out. If you want to follow it on twitter check out this hashtag
#Opheila

Stay safe!

storm moving up through the country, just for perspective, the island of Ireland is approx the same size as the state of Indiana.

ophelia 2.JPG

wind defiantly getting stronger here now in Dublin, and the rain has started. Some crazy reports coming in on Twitter from Cork and Kerry, mainly roofs being torn from buildings and trees down and roads being closed

We have neighbors who have missed the fires in CA because they’ve been in Ireland. Thankfully our neighborhood is ok - I hope they have the same luck in Ireland.

its not been too bad in my area compared with the south of the country. The local news has lots of photos of trees down a few streets away from my house.

The Department of Education has closed all schools again tomorrow. Colleges and University's are to make the decision on a local level. All public transport, buses, trains and trams will remain stopped for the rest of the day and will start again first thing Tuesday morning.

There are now 3 reported fatalities.

My parents left from Detroit yesterday for a 10 day vacation in Ireland. They were to land at 8:00 this morning in Dublin. I thought for sure their flight would be cancelled.... Haven't heard from them yet, but they're not very good at communicating in general. Who would have thought they would have to worry about a hurricane in Ireland in October!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter