Husband Veto'ed Our Aulani Stay!

ct7878

Mouseketeer
UGH- I am so frustrated! I have been planning a family vacation for DH, DS 14, and myself to Hawaii this upcoming Memorial Day- we will be starting our trip in Maui at the Marriott in Wailea and then headed to Oahu for a week. The plan was to spend 5 nights at Aulani and then 2 nights on the North Shore.

Last night my husband came home all excited that he was able to get a 1 bedroom at Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina for our entire stay on points and that there would be no cost. While I understand the value of free- I am so bummed. I really want to stay at Aulani. DH is sort of drawing a line in the sand on this (which he rarely does) and says there is no way to justify spending 3k for a smaller room on the same beach just for Disney themeing. Mind you, we are big Disney fans and annual passholders at WDW (we live in Orlando)- so this stance really shocked me. DH is stating that we can go to the Luau at Aulani, or have dinner, and get a similar experience. What is even more shocking is my DS fully agreed with him and is ecstatic at the thought of having his own space/tv (albeit the living room sleeper sofa) and a kitchen!

I am definitely outnumbered on this one, and don't feel like I am going to win the battle. I am really disappointed and hate feeling like I am going to be missing out of the experience of Aulani. Am I being ridiculous? I do understand its a lot of money and that I should be truly excited about having this as an option (who wouldn't want a free week in Hawaii)- however, with that said, this was not what we had been planning and I just feel so thrown off. Living on the East Coast, we probably will not be back to Hawaii for awhile so its not like we will be doing this again in the near future. Is DH right? Do you think we can get an "Aulani feel" by visiting for a meal or the spa- if so, is there a particular experience that would be best?

Last edited:
Ok, this is your opportunity!!! Agree to it, tell him how smart it is to save that money....and then use some of the savings to book yourself a day at the spa!! Then book all of you for dinner at Makahiki. Go to the storytelling, walk around the resort, grab a drink and listen to the music. Or if you reeeeally want to do the pools and lazy river, try to convince him to just do one night. I doubt I’ll ever justify us staying again, unless it’s for one night. It’s beautiful but pricey. You’re going to have an amazing trip either way!!

When you break it down, the only thing you'll be missing out on is the use of the pool at Aulani. IMO, the Disney theme at Aulani is subdued and not worth spending $3K on. The Marriott is a quick walk down the path from Aulani, so its very easy to walk over for meals, the spa, luau. You can even use the beach and lagoon in front of Aulani (just not the chairs). Your son is likely old enough where he's not interested in characters, and Aunty's isn't a concern either. If your kids were younger, my opinion may differ slightly on whether its worth it. But in your case, I frankly don't think it is.

We walked over to the Marriott during our Aulani stay and it was noticeably more peaceful and less busy. With Aulani being such a popular family resort with the Disney draw, it feels busy all the time. It also has a somewhat clustered layout and design with everything being in the middle of the resort, all the foliage, etc. Add people to that, and it often feels crowded. The Marriott had only a handful of people in the pool, the beach felt larger, and it just seemed overall more comfortable. We love Aulani, but if I could stay at the Marriott for free, I'd do that for sure. JMHO!

If I had the choice having stayed at Aulani before and spent time in the area, I would do the Marriot in a heart beat. Rooms are beautiful, grounds fantastic and you can wall over to Aulani. While Aulani is very pretty and fun it is not worth spending that kind of money over free. You will have just as good a time maybe better using that money to do excursions or enjoying special treats

I own points at Aulani...but if we didn't own there I honestly don't think we could afford to stay there! I say go to the Marriott and just book a meal or two at Aulani and enjoy the ambiance!

Is it bad I kind of agree with your husband lol. Free vs. 3k, it’s really tough to justify that. I am a Floridian and huge Disney fan with an AP. However if we were not DVC I would spend the money on the Four Seasons over booking Aulani cash.

Last edited:
I think you can totally get the feel for it! Maybe you could take the money you saved and turn it into a down payment for a DVC purchase! If we didn't have DVC and it was choice of staying for free at the Marriott or paying for Aulani, I'd take the free room too, so I hate to tell you I'm with your DH on this too. If you're going to have a car you can drive around to the north shore too- we like to alternate between resort days and offsite days so we're not spending whole days at the hotel. Again, it's a big expense that you're saving that you can use for other stuff, like next year's APs, or like I said, a DVC purchase :)

Suggestion: see how much it would cost to rent some DVC points for a night. Then show hubby the savings over cash and ask him to try it for that one night; remind him that this is what you folks were planning originally and your heart was set on. The week around Memorial Day is mostly gone, but there are still some individual nights available for studios and 1-bedrooms. We love Aulani. But we'd never pay rack rates there.

The problem is in Asia and Mexico this would get you a private pool in your room , more space and better food. And way less people. Mandarin Oriental will kill (success) it in Hawaii! It wi be such a success.

I agree with @cgattis - use some of that money you won’t be using for a room and book spa time for a wonderful, relaxing time at Aulani. I would book dinner at Makahiki for a character “Disney” experience. And I’d book a sunset dinner at ‘AMA AMA and boom! You get a lot of the selling points of Aulani! While the pool is amazing, we’re very much the people that will choose a gorgeous beach over a pool any day and the Marriott has a gorgeous one, too(from what we could see when we walked to the point in between Aulani and the Marriott). Your hubby sounds like mine - he doesn’t draw many lines in the sand, so when he does I listen. Enjoy the resort as visitors and you never know, one day he may come home all excited he snagged some awesome rental points at Aulani!

Use the saved money and book a spa treatment, dinner one night at makahiki and a nice sunset dinner at ama ama. Then if you can book a room for 1 night you can use the pool and activites at aaulani for 2 days. You can use the day of check in and the day of check out.

I own Aulani points and Marriott Vacation Club weeks and we prefer Marriot Koolina Beach club next door. Much quieter and not crowded like Aulani. When my son was younger (7-11) he loved aulani and all the activities it offers. Now he is 13 year old teen and he does not enjoy Aulani as much as Marriott and that is fine by me.

I will be at marriott for the last 2 weeks of may and into first week of june. If you want to meet up with a fellow dis board member send me a pm. Enjoy your stay here in Hawaii.

Thanks Everyone! You are all making me feel a lot better about this situation and have had some great ideas on how to get the "feel" without actually staying at the Resort. For those that have been there, do you recommend Makahiki for dinner or breakfast? Also is the luau worth doing (we are already going to the one at PCC) or would it be redundant.

I know that staying at the Marriott does make so much more financial sense, it just really threw me for a loop! I am sure that we are going to have a great time, no matter where we stay (it is Hawaii)- maybe with our cost savings I can convince DH to take another trip sooner rather than later :-)

We own at Marriott Ko Olina and booked our week with points but stayed at Aulani for 2 nights to enjoy the resort. Best of both!

We've had breakfast and dinner at Makahiki. Take a look at the menus online and see what you like best. The breakfast was a character breakfast with Mickey and friends (Minnie, Goofy, Chip & Dale, Stitch). You meet Mickey for the photo op before your meal. The other characters come to your table.
The dinner wasn't a character one although I think there is one called Menehune Mischief on some nights. The dinner buffet had a variety of excellent food.
Can't go wrong with either choice!

Have a fantastic trip!

Thanks Everyone! You are all making me feel a lot better about this situation and have had some great ideas on how to get the "feel" without actually staying at the Resort. For those that have been there, do you recommend Makahiki for dinner or breakfast? Also is the luau worth doing (we are already going to the one at PCC) or would it be redundant.

I know that staying at the Marriott does make so much more financial sense, it just really threw me for a loop! I am sure that we are going to have a great time, no matter where we stay (it is Hawaii)- maybe with our cost savings I can convince DH to take another trip sooner rather than later :-)

I'd cancel the PCC Luau and do the Aulani one. For one, it's closer, and it would give you more time to 'soak up' Aulani. For me personally, there'd be other reasons to avoid PCC that I won't get into.

While I'd be bummed about missing out at staying at Aulani, it is hard to say no to "free" and using points, so if I was in your family's shoes we'd do the same and stay at the Marriott. Do the Aulani Luau, or have dinner, and definitely go the Aulani spa. That should make up for not staying there and you're still saving money!

The Makahiki dinner buffet was heavy on very good seafood, so my kids and I feasted! DH doesn’t eat seafood, but he had plenty and declared it very good. We thought breakfast was fine, but not super special—a few different things but a lot of “typical” breakfast foods. DD16 did lead the oven-mitt fish parade around the room with Minnie, so that alone was worth the cost for me LOL

WRT two luaus, I only did PC, not Aulani, but I personally wouldn’t spend the money or time to do both. I think the shows are quite different, but they’re both long and pricey. I’d rather pick one and save that money too. (We had a ball at PC, BTW. I know it gets mixed reviews. I paid for VIP and enjoyed the front row seats.)

You’re going to have an absolutely amazing trip. I seriously would’ve cried when we left if it weren’t for wanting to get home to see my doggy.

do you recommend Makahiki for dinner or breakfast?

We did both and preferred dinner. We did the regular dinner, not the character dinner, and had one of the first reservations after the character dinner ended so the restaurant was half empty. We got a beautiful seat outside. It was a quiet, relaxing dinner. Since your son is 14 and maybe doesn't care so much about the characters, this would be my choice. DH and I did the character breakfast and while we enjoyed it, it was a loud madhouse.

Also is the luau worth doing (we are already going to the one at PCC) or would it be redundant.

I agree with PP that PCC wouldn't be my first choice, mostly because they do not serve alcohol and its a long drive, especially at night on unfamiliar roads. It also is run by the Church of Just Christ of Latter Day Saints, just to note.

I can't speak to whether the Aulani luau is worthwhile, but will also mention that the Marriott has the Fia Fia luau, and just down the street from Aulani is the Paradise Cove luau (walking distance). I would choose one of these three luaus in Ko Olina, based on your budget and the reviews.

UGH- I am so frustrated! I have been planning a family vacation for DH, DS 14, and myself to Hawaii this upcoming Memorial Day- we will be starting our trip in Maui at the Marriott in Wailea and then headed to Oahu for a week. The plan was to spend 5 nights at Aulani and then 2 nights on the North Shore.

Last night my husband came home all excited that he was able to get a 1 bedroom at Marriott Vacation Club in Ko Olina for our entire stay on points and that there would be no cost. While I understand the value of free- I am so bummed. I really want to stay at Aulani. DH is sort of drawing a line in the sand on this (which he rarely does) and says there is no way to justify spending 3k for a smaller room on the same beach just for Disney themeing. Mind you, we are big Disney fans and annual passholders at WDW (we live in Orlando)- so this stance really shocked me. DH is stating that we can go to the Luau at Aulani, or have dinner, and get a similar experience. What is even more shocking is my DS fully agreed with him and is ecstatic at the thought of having his own space/tv (albeit the living room sleeper sofa) and a kitchen!

I am definitely outnumbered on this one, and don't feel like I am going to win the battle. I am really disappointed and hate feeling like I am going to be missing out of the experience of Aulani. Am I being ridiculous? I do understand its a lot of money and that I should be truly excited about having this as an option (who wouldn't want a free week in Hawaii)- however, with that said, this was not what we had been planning and I just feel so thrown off. Living on the East Coast, we probably will not be back to Hawaii for awhile so its not like we will be doing this again in the near future. Is DH right? Do you think we can get an "Aulani feel" by visiting for a meal or the spa- if so, is there a particular experience that would be best?
I have stayed at both places. You will be fine! You can easily walk to Aulani and go for the luau, a spa, or the character meal. If you really, really want Aulani, and as you are saving so much on lodging, I would consider VIP luau. I've also been to the luau and the marriott, and it was also very good but very very different than Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter