Hydrangea advice

Yay2001

Well, we all shine on ...
I planted 2 dwarf (very expensive, btw) hydrangeas last spring. They did OK -- I thought. I wasn't sure whether I should prune them -- depends on the variety and I wasn't sure. So I didnt prune them. Now I have last years seemingly dead branches, and what looks like very small greenery or new growth around the base. Should I cut away the dead stuff -- or leave it alone? Also -- what should I feed them -- they are pink and I want nice rich pink color.

Thanks! :D

Yay2001 - I have some information that I need to look up for myself on hydrangea. I believe the kind I have is called pannate or something to that effect. The flowers are suppose to be cone shaped rather than the round balls one may typically think of when thinking of hydrangeas. Do you know what kind you have. When I locate my info, I will share.

In the meantime, will look forward to other responses.

Check your branches if there is any green leaves starting do not prune them, these are the stems that will produce the flowers. If the branches are truely dead then cut them back.

I did not notice in what area you live, I live in Mass and we can get very cold and snowy weather this can damage the plant so it best` to rap the plant in burlap until it starts to bud. Also take care if there is going to be a frost this will damage the plant if the leaves have sprouted.

At this point, don't trim anything. We grow lots of hydrangeas here, and all the plants look like that in the spring. Before long, those "sticks" will be covered with green leaves.

Tulirose -- If I knew what kind they were, I guess I'd know when to prune them, LOL!!! Even the nursery where I bought them didn't know (they asked if I had retained the tag on the pot -- of course I didn't!) They are a dwarf variety, with smaller round flowers.

There are no leaves on the sticks at this point -- it looks like all of the new growth -- such as it is -- is around the base of the plant. At this rate, I'll be lucky to have flowers by fall.

Mamu, I live in Oklahoma. I planted these on the north side of our house, but we had a fairly mild winter. We did have a hard freeze and snow at the beginning of March, which seemed to affect all of my early blooming plants. My hostas are nowhere to be found:confused:

What do you fee hydrangeas? A friend has a blue variety, and she recommends lots of acid. But mine are pink -- what will give a more intensive pink color?

Thanks fro the replies, everyobody! This is a GREAT forum!!

If you go to SouthernLiving.com, click on Gardens, then do a search on Hydrangeas, I think you might find some useful information. I found several articles that deal with different types of them.

I'm so glad I found this topic! I have one bush that has off-white blooms. I tried to change the color to purple-blue but it didn't work. A friend told me I had the variety that WOULDN'T change color. Has anyone else heard this before? :confused:

I love this forum! It's very informative!!! Thanks, Pete. :)

Hydrangea's are one of the acid loving plants. You can buy a product called "Miracid". This product helps improve soils acidity and adds iron to the soil.
When acid-loving plants are planted near concrete foundations lime leaches into the soil. Miracid helps lower the soils ph which makes a more favorable growing condition.

I think I read somewhere when you deplete the iron in the soil your hydranger bloons will fade. I cannot remember what book it was in but I will check and get back to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter