Hydro Flask for 12 Year Old Boy?

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
My nephew has requested a Hydro Flask for Christmas. He is 12 and very involved with Boy Scouts. When I said I would take this item, I had no idea there were so many choices! So now I'm watching for the best deal, but also curious.... which "model" would be best in your opinion? I asked his mom and she just said she has seen kids with all various shapes and sizes :) Which was the nice answer but didn't really help me narrow it down any!

Sort of hard to say. I don't think there's one size in particular to go with. DD has the 44 oz. wide mouth and I have the 24 oz. standard mouth. She has a straw lid too. Dick's Sporting Goods and REI run sales--I'm sure there will be sales around BF.

Sort of hard to say. I don't think there's one size in particular to go with. DD has the 44 oz. wide mouth and I have the 24 oz. standard mouth. She has a straw lid too. Dick's Sporting Goods and REI run sales--I'm sure there will be sales around BF.
I got my DGD one as a Christmas gift last year. Got it on sale at Dick's. bought the straw lid too.
Got the 32 oz wide mouth and straw lid for ~ $37 total on BF.

So, I have a Hydro Flask problem. We have a ridiculous variety in our home. My kids (both 13) seem to prefer the 32oz with wide mouth straw. Big enough to get through the day but not huge. Make sure to get a boot for it to keep dings and dents at bay. As mentioned REI and Dick’s will let you use coupons on them. There *should* be a sale any day now.

eta: There are a LOT of fakes out there. Only go through an authorized dealer or Hydro Flask themselves. You can find a list on their website and make sure you’re on the official site. (hydroflask dot com)

So, I have a Hydro Flask problem. We have a ridiculous variety in our home. My kids (both 13) seem to prefer the 32oz with wide mouth straw. Big enough to get through the day but not huge. Make sure to get a boot for it to keep dings and dents at bay. As mentioned REI and Dick’s will let you use coupons on them. There *should* be a sale any day now.

eta: There are a LOT of fakes out there. Only go through an authorized dealer or Hydro Flask themselves. You can find a list on their website and make sure you’re on the official site. (hydroflask dot com)
I didn't know there was a boot, but I'd highly recommend this. DD used hers lifeguarding and they dent and chip like crazy when dropped.

I didn't know there was a boot, but I'd highly recommend this. DD used hers lifeguarding and they dent and chip like crazy when dropped.
Yeah, my DD is a “dropper.” I’m positive the boot has saved her 32 numerous times. You can also get full sleeves from other manufacturers for them. I’ve noticed a beat up HydroFlask is kind of a point of pride for some but if you dent it the wrong way it’ll break the vacuum seal and make it worthless. This happened to my older DD’s narrow 24.

My daughter actually customized one at the hydro flask website but apparently they were out of one of the parts as they canceled the order after a few days lol

What's the deal with this name brand? It's so expensive! Why? What can it do that a less expensive water bottle can't do?

If it's what the nephew wants, and OP is willing to give it to him for Christmas, and it's highly regarded (4.6/5 stars on Amazon), it's probably an excellent gift.

We have several in our house. We all agree (DH, DD13, DS12, DS8 & I) we like the wide mouth best. With the straw lid. I'd say no bigger than the 32oz or it is a bear to carry.

What's the deal with this name brand? It's so expensive! Why? What can it do that a less expensive water bottle can't do?
It doesn’t sweat.
Double Vacuum Sealed
Keeps things colder way longer than the other million less expensive brands I’ve tried. I fill up two 40oz bottles with cold water (no ice) and a 24oz coffee flask with a Diet Dr Pepper before I go to bed and they stay cold throughout the next day.
They come in a variety of styles and colors.
I like them. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The ONLY bottle that has even come close has been Thermos and they are just as expensive and lack variety/style. We’ve had who knows how many water bottles/containers come through this house and the Hydro Flasks are the only ones used consistently. Even my DH uses one for his coffee and he’s never been a “to go cup” kind of guy.

I know some families are big on the surprise aspect of holiday gift giving, but could you just ask your nephew which model and color he would like and even offer some guidance on what to look for? If he gets what he wants he is more likely to use it.

I much prefer the insulated lids when attempting to keep cold liquids cold for the entire day. I use a smaller bottle with a flip-top for my post-workout chocolate milk but the non-insulate lid only keeps the milk somewhat cold for a couple hours. The flip-top is easy to clean unlike the straw. I would not recommend buying one with a straw for a soon-to-be-teenager if anything other than water will be put inside...they just don't have the long-term responsibility to clean it properly quickly after consuming anything that could mold. The screw-top lid is easy to clean and insulates well.

Some other considerations are what size will fit in any backpack that is used. Will it go inside his backpack or in an outside pocket? The outside mesh pockets can't hold a tall heavy water bottle (the ones I take to WDW clip by the strap on the lids into the side straps so I don't have to worry about them falling out). If it will go inside the backpack, will it weigh too heavy on one side or fall over?

The bottles with an insulated lid keep ice so well that it might work to buy a medium-sized Hydroflask to fill with ice and water and then have a larger uninsulated Nalgene or other bottle to refill the Hydroflask as the cold water is consumed.

Dicks Sport store has (at least had at one point) a lot of the styles out in the store if you want to compare sizes in-person.

I agree, only buy from a reputable source, there are a ton of fakes out there.

I've been watching for a sale for months (mostly REI and DSG because I know they are real) and haven't seen a sale yet. Still hoping to get a couple for xmas. I'm sure at the very least DSG will have $20 off of $100 or something along those lines.

12 year old boys aren't as brand conscious and there are plenty of non name brand double walled bottles that are pretty darn amazing. We live in Houston and the Rtic outlet store is nearby and rivals Yeti for quality, yet half the price. I would not call this a knock off but merely a more reasonably priced brand name. It sounds like he may want something for camping and this one may fit the bill as it is camo print and is the tall 26oz with the handle lid. This would fit in a side pocket, hang from a belt hook or stuffed in a backpack. There is also the shorter wide mouth version.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkware/bottles/26oz-Water-Bottle-Kanati-Camohttps://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkware/26oz-Bottle-Camo-Glossy

12 year old boys aren't as brand conscious and there are plenty of non name brand double walled bottles that are pretty darn amazing. We live in Houston and the Rtic outlet store is nearby and rivals Yeti for quality, yet half the price. I would not call this a knock off but merely a more reasonably priced brand name. It sounds like he may want something for camping and this one may fit the bill as it is camo print and is the tall 26oz with the handle lid. This would fit in a side pocket, hang from a belt hook or stuffed in a backpack. There is also the shorter wide mouth version.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkware/bottles/26oz-Water-Bottle-Kanati-Camohttps://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/drinkware/26oz-Bottle-Camo-Glossy
My 12 year old was pretty darn brand conscious. If someone asks for a specific brand item as a gift I personally buy them the brand they want.

He asked for a Hydro Flask.

This sounds like a gift exchange as the OP said they would “take this item.” It also sounds like the OP is aware of the cost as they mentioned all the styles and sizes.

Sounds like this is some type of family gift exchange and assume there is a price range for gifts. I would buy the brand he requested within the expected price range and use your best judgment regarding the size, since as you mentioned the mom was of no help. Get a gift receipt so he can exchange it for a different one if not the size he wanted. There are several name brands of trendy thermos bottles now being sold (Corkcicle is another I can think of).

I doubt whether it is the real thing or a knockoff makes that much difference in how long things stay cold/hot, it's a thermos bottle. Trendy brands are usually more expensive due to name recognition even if the product isn't any better.

Thank you everyone! I definitely feel like I know a lot more about this before I started.

A couple of follow ups to some previous comments:

1) This child is very brand oriented. So while as an adult I totally understand that there are cheaper knock offs that will do the same job, I will be sticking to the Hydro Flask for this gift.
2) On this side of the famiy, all of us aunts/uncles buy for the kids only. Us adults buy for our parents but not each other. And yes, we have a budget of $50 per child, so the Hydro Flask fits in that range and is something he wanted, so it works for us.
3) I will likely look at Dick's on Black Friday because I like the idea of buying and getting a gift receipt so he can exchange. I think I'm leaning toward a 32oz wide mouth with straw lid, but maybe seeing them in person will make it more clear to me. But what I didn't realize that there were so many fakes floating around. Anyone have any experience with Amazon? If I don't find what I need on Black Friday, I admit i'm not one that enjoys the hustle and bustle of the stores on the holidays, and Dicks is an hour from our home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!