Hydroponic Gardening

rlovew

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are looking into growing herbs and vegetables- our seasons are off here in Florida and I know we have to wait until the fall to plant much of anything here but I was wondering if anyone had used Hydroponic methods and what they thought of them.

Rebecca

Rebecca let me know if you find any info out. Mom and I are interested in trying.

We both bought a book at Soarin' called Beginning Hydroponics, Soilless gardening by Richard E. Nicholls. I haven't read it yet but might start soon.

We have a place near us called Hydrotaste and the person who owns it developed a hydroponic gardening system that is supposed to be fairly simple to use. DH and I went to the free class last Saturday and like it. This systems allows you to grow 20 plants in a 3 foot by 3 foot area. We are looking at buying one of their large systems- it would be 10 of the HydroStackers- 20 plants in each - although we would only be planting 7 of them in the fall and 4 of the Hydrostackers 2 (made for growing root crops like carrots, asparagus and such. It will cost us a bit more than $1000 for the intial investment but we like the system and can move it without too much difficulty (a big deal for us).

I am looking at doing:

ROW 1- Tall stackers:

Stack 1: strawberries(4 plants) and herbs (i have at least 10-12 choosen out to do)

Stack 2: Boston Bib Lettuce and Spinach (these take about 21 days to grow in the stacks- so I was told plant 4 Bib in the top section and 4 spinach in the bottom week 1, plant 4 bib in 2nd and 4 spinach in the 2nd from bottom week 2, plant bib in middle section week 3. Week 4 top and bottom will be ready- replant top and cut off bottom (spinach doesn't need to be replanted- continue and will always have these ready until season is totally over.

Stack 3: broccoli and cauliflower on the bottom sections of the stack, peppers on the top 2 sections. Again plant a couple of each every week or 2 and then it somes in at different times.

Stack 4: beans- a variety of bush type beans

Stack 5: Peas- a variety of bush style beans- sugar snap and snow for sure- I am thinking about an english variety as well

Stack 6- tomatoes- regular and cherry- in only the top 3 baskets- we will use pvc pipe instead of the bottom 2 stackers

2nd row (low items- Stackers 2 and cucumbers with a small fence behind them to grow on)

Stack 1: carrots

Stack 2: scallions

Stack 3: potatoes

Stack 4: asparagus

Stacks 5/6: regular hydrostackers with only the bottom section with cucumbers- both slicing and pickling.

On the center we will need to put a 55 gallon trash can to be a reservoir.

We like the system- there are less expensive options- we like the no bending down and no weeds in the system. We do wish they had a way to recycle the water but understand the problems with purifying it.

We can add up to 2 more stack into the system before we would need a larger pump for watering and fertilizing. It looks like it will probably take about 4-5 hours to initially make the garden- setting up the stacks and planting the initial seeds.

Rebecca

I wish I could have gone to that! It sounds like you learned a lot.

I think I've seen those hydro stackers on the green channel. Someone was using them on a roof top garden.

They use them all over- they hold the classes about 15 minutes from here every other Saturday- if you ever want to come down and go to it you are welcome to do so. It is really just about the stackers as it is held by the inventor of them but he explains how they help the plants grow faster- he has asparagus growing- after 6 months from planting (it is a crop that starts growing the part we eat about 1.5 years after planting.

He is putting a commercial farm of them in CT sometime in the next 2 weeks- he mentioned his travels in class and he was headed to Kentucky and then CT- once their is a commercial farm up there you can see how they work- they are also always available for purchase from a commercial farm.

Rebecca

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter