Hypothetical How Would You Feel If Disneyland Reopens With These Restrictions

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
I just saw an interesting comment over on the main community section which I thought would be an interesting discussion.

@2102raven
- masks and gloves
- social distancing
- 6 ft apart
- no hugs with characters
- no self serve buffet stations
- limit queue and park occupancy
- washing stations
- hand sanitizer stations

i highly doubt the avid disney world visitors would comply with these policies

When the parks re open there are going to have to be some changes.
  • Would the above restrictions bother you, would you comply if it meant that was the only way you could visit the parks?
  • Or would you feel cheated, that you can't get the full Disneyland experience like you used to have?
  • Would the wearing of masks in the parks make you feel uncomfortable?
  • Would the restricted character meets make a difference to your overall park experience?
  • What about if at character meets you could only take photos of the characters, not with the characters?
  • What if the face characters were wearing masks?
  • What if ride capacity is limited so instead of all spaces in ride vehicles being filled, only half the space is filled which thereby increases wait times?
  • What if in ride queues have boxes taped on the ground of where you have to stand, 6 feet away from the person in front of you and behind you, which reduces the amount of people allowed to wait in line at rides?
I know its an awful lot of what ifs, but this could be the new normal in the parks.

Are you willing to put up with whatever restrictions Disney decides to implement in order to make the parks operational or would you say thats it I'm done with Disney parks?

these are the CDC guidelines all laid out in phases to get economy running again albeit in a modified fashion. like it or not this will be the new normal for for the time being.
groceries, supermarkets, coffe shops, restaurants will implement in one way or another. i don’t see why larger public arena and venues like concerts, sports, movies and theme parks will be any different - perhaps they’ll be even more stringent with health/safety policies

these are the CDC guidelines all laid out in phases to get economy running again albeit in a modified fashion. like it or not this will be the new normal for for the time being.
groceries, supermarkets, coffe shops, restaurants will implement in one way or another. i don’t see why larger public arena and venues like concerts, sports, movies and theme parks will be any different - perhaps they’ll be even more stringent with health/safety policies

I agree but the point of my thread is that while people accept them now , during the crisis in supermarkets and grocery stores, will they accept them at Disneyland? Will people still expect the same Disneyland experience they had before?

Even before all this, there have been countless threads of people complaining about unexpected ride closures and how they feel cheated out of the full Disney experience. You only have to spend 10 minutes at guest services and see how many people complain and want refunds because of something not happening the way they expected.

Many people reschedule trips when they hear their favourite ride is closed or a certain show is dark.

And don't forget higher prices.

Because

1. anyone die hard enough to go through all that can probably be squeezed for a few more dollars AND
2. if the park capacity is limited, they'll be that much higher up on the demand curve.

I don’t think you can have any theme park-or concert, event-with those restrictions.
People
1)won’t attend because of them, making it pointless to open
2)won’t follow them if they do and cannot be enforced to the full degree they’d need to be, making it pointless to try

Maybe I’m wrong, I’ll be interested to see how and when these paces open.

I threw a mini temper tantrum on the Rumor and News board yesterday with the mask people and had to excuse myself. 🤣

Gloves are pointless.... as they get as germy as your hands. Every doctor out there says you’re better off not touching your face and washing your hands frequently. It’s more sanitary for everyone to not wear gloves and wash hands frequently. I suggested more hand washing stations with warm water on another thread.... especially outside of the rides like TSMM, Buzz etc where you are actively touching parts of the ride. I think hand sanitizer stations outside of all rides are excellent ideas. I definitely think no buffets until there’s a vaccine is an excellent idea. We won’t be dining at any buffets for a long while. I think no hugs with characters will be difficult to enforce for kids at first, but could be a solution. I think the rest of it are good ideas, but some of them really intrude on the Disney experience and may be harder to implement. I don’t know.

We are locals and have APs and I think we would go with some of these in place because we are already here. The main exception would be if they require masks for small children.... first of all they don’t fit properly anyway and battling with my toddler to wear one isn’t worth it. If that’s a requirement, we can abstain from Disney until there’s a vaccine or better treatments or it goes dormant. We live in San Diego and there’s plenty of amazing things to do very close to home. I wear a mask now when I pick up groceries or get gas, as that’s the only time I’m leaving my house, and will continue to do so for months, but have no interest in dealing with that at Disneyland with my littles. If the characters were wearing masks.... probably not. That really ruins the magic, as my kids truly believe that’s Mickey and that’s Cinderella.

If we weren’t local, there’s no way we’d spend thousands of dollars to travel to Disney with all of these restrictions in place. Disney isn’t a necessity... it’s a luxury and we’d just wait until there were treatments/vaccines etc instead of spending thousands of dollars on a trip with such restrictions. I fully accept that this is the new normal and some of these restrictions may be necessary.... it’s up to the individual person to decide if they want to spend thousands to come visit Disney with these potential restrictions in place.

I just think so many of these things really ruin the magic..... seriously hate this pandemic! Lots of changes coming for everyone when we get out of our houses!

Last edited:

We've been to WDW and Magic Kingdom enough that we wouldn't need to do EVERYTHING at DL
Gloves are pointless.... as they get as germy as your hands
Excellent point that needs to be continually mentioned. I'm a health care worker and it drives me insane when you see people that are wearing gloves with out changing them constantly. Your point that the gloves are very germy is right on but the other thing that people sometimes don't realize is that that latex gloves are microscopically porous so there still is a possibility of contaminants getting on to the hands.

As for the various possible safety measures/procedures if they open the park and that is the new standard for the foreseeable future then if you are wanting to go then that's what you will have to do like it or not. It may well be an oversimplification to say if you don't like the rules don't go, but I think that's what it would boil down to.

I think as well it might be a question or being a local visitor vs a traveling tourist (like our family). If I am local and can go "whenever" I feel like going to get a Disney fix even if the experience is somewhat limited then I think I would be ok with that (and yes I do understand that AP's are expensive). If I am traveling from somewhere and spending all the money associated with a vacation trip the safety things are not going to bother me but if the overall experience is not the same value as I am normally used to then I think I would not be willing to go right now.

anyone die hard enough to go through all that can probably be squeezed for a few more dollars
I apologize in advance if I am misinterpreting your meaning but while I do agree that Disney will need to increase prices I don't think its a fair statement to make that Disney will be trying to "Squeeze" more money out of people. They are set to lose a Huge amount of revenue because of this and will need to make that money up somehow for there to be any sort of Disney for people to enjoy going forward. Is Disney perfect? No, they are not but I feel that they have been trying very hard to to be as good as they can be to staff and customers alike. Difficult times are well, difficult.

I don’t think you can have any theme park-or concert, event-with those restrictions.
People
1)won’t attend because of them, making it pointless to open
2)won’t follow them if they do and cannot be enforced to the full degree they’d need to be, making it pointless to try

Maybe I’m wrong, I’ll be interested to see how and when these paces open.
I agree with this. Even now people are still having trouble with the 6ft rule. To see this just go to any super market.

I honestly would feel more comfortable with hand washing and sanitizing stations. Masks are really only effective if you wear them properly and have good hygiene prior to putting them on and off your face. Plus they’re only good for like 15 to 30 minutes max for a wear. Wearing one all day isn’t good.

I have zero problem with mitigation measures are long as they are actual measures that help and not just theater to give the appearance of doing something.

Taking temps for one is virtually worthless as we are learning cuz so many that test positive are asymptomatic and gloves worn for more than a single task use do nothing additional to prevent spread.

Stop buffets and meet and greets for a while, that seems more practical...but then you have attractions like Buzz and Toy Story where countless people an hour are touching the guns.

At some point personal responsibility for hygiene and individual risk tolerance assessment will need to be a thing to carry on as a society vs it being dictated to the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:
We're locals with ap's. We will do whatever we can to go. Wear masks, get out temperature taken... yup. Just to be able to walk down main street, look at the castle, sign me up. I was a chronic handwasher and hand sanitizer person before it was cool...😂😂😂

I'm not local, I travel from Europe but I feel the same way. :thumbsup2

it’s not so much Disney as it is more about the guests. it boils down to the individual. can we follow the guidelines? it’s a personal choice to decide and there are consequences to our choices.

If I were local, I’d comply with all of this happily to get inside the park.

But traveling from out of state when I only come twice a year (I know, “only” right haha) it’s not worth it to me. I’d rather wait it out until next summer.

But if it turns out this would be a new normal for past this year, I’d deal with it just to experience Disneyland and make do.

(I hope the mods don’t close this board like the one the other day- it’s nice to have some topics going like this in a separate space from the main closure board which had mainly been focused on APs, refunds, etc. lately)

Oh another thing to consider is how in the world could they have parades, fireworks, and shows while creating distance? It just wouldn’t be possible.

The main memory that comes to mind for me is when we came for the holidays and sat two hours to reserve our front row spot and about ten minutes before showtime these random people squeezed in and tried to sit on our blanket with us shoulder to shoulder! Ha ha. You know how people get at those things.

Hand washing and sanitizer stations are probably the best bets but I’m sure many more changes will be in store as well...and as mentioned some will be more to make people feel better rather than increase safety.
To be honest I’m more concerned with the thought of losing entertainment. Disney will be able to get away with canceling theater shows and nighttime shows in the name of health and safety while saving tons of money. This is at the expense of the guest experience.... I’m not ready to wrap my head around the DL experience without Fireworks,F!, and WOC. 😔

To be honest I’m more concerned with the thought of losing entertainment. Disney will be able to get away with canceling theater shows and nighttime shows in the name of health and safety while saving tons of money. This is at the expense of the guest experience.... I’m not ready to wrap my head around the DL experience without Fireworks,F!, and WOC. 😔

Yes, this exactly. It would be the dealbreaker that would lead me to postpone a trip. Those experiences are important to my family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!