hysterectomy, leave ovaries or not?

dcgrumpy

<font color=blue>Doesn't give a ... darn<br><font
I have to have a hysterectomy in a few months. Both ovaries have cysts, there is a suspicious looking cyst on the left one, so obviously the left one has to be removed. However the cycts on the right look clear and harmless. My doctor says it's up to me whether or not they leave the one ovary. She said they could remove the cysts and put the ovary back, chances are that the cysts will come back.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what they would recommend. I know most people say leave the ovary, but I'm afraid I might have problems later on. I'm so confused

I had a hysterectomy when I was 39, they insisted on leaving my ovaries. I guess there are a couple of ways of looking at this. If they take ovaries you will immediately start menopause, if they leave you will go through menopause at normal age. I'm 50 now and have been peri-menopausal for a couple of years, so far not so bad. I worried about ovarian ca, because I had several bad paps and biopsies, which ended in cryosurgery. I guess it will depend on your age and reason for surgery. Good luck.

I am a bit jaded here.. I think this is what I would do if I had anything questionable on either ovary, I would have them taken out. Of course, I have already looked menopause in the face and it is what it is.. hot flashes, mood swings, and getting old.

They took it all during my hyst 13 years ago. I was 30. I went through menopause and took premarin but honestly it wasn't that bad for me. My Dr. said more often than not they wound up going back in for them anyway so I chose to just chuck em.

BTW having a hyst doesn't make you any more prone to ovarian cancer that I'm aware of. I asked if that could have caused mine and was told that the endometriosis which was the reason for the surgery and the resulting hyst had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I had endometriosis and polycystic ovaries. I had a complete hysterectomy at the age of 25 (it was my 5th surgery for these conditions) I had no choice in keeping an ovary, they were just too bad and I could not deal with this not being the end of my surgical problems.

It is now 16 years later and life is SO much better. Painfree and doing well. I was on estrogen patches for years and just went off them last year.

Weigh the pro's and con's of keeping an ovary. If you are prone to cysts, ask yourself if you want to keep dealing with them year after year. If the cysts won't come back (if that is even possible) you have a whole other decision to face.

But know that there is life after, it is not horrible and can be great. Good luck!

Thanks everyone

I'm having it done because of a large fibroid and endometrial polyps. I have extremely painful and heavy periods which have caused me to become very anemic. I'm 41 and definitely done having kids so there's no reason not to have the hysterectomy. The anemia is the reason I have to wait a couple of months to have it done.

I've had a history of fibroids for a number of years. The ovarian cysts are something new within the last two years. I've never had them before and now all of a sudden both ovaries are covered.

Luckily I have awhile to figure it all out.

Just some info. There is a great site with tons of info re hysterectomies, but since I can't post links do a search for hystersister. It is simply a great forum for non-professional advice from many women who have either had or will be having a hysterectomy. I had mine at the age of 44 and chose to have both ovaries removed(doc said it was my choice.) I have no regrets. Please do yourself a favor and check out the above. You will find compassionate caring women to share your concerns.

I had a series of three surgeries years ago (18 - 19 years ago :confused3 ) when I was in my early 30's.
My doctor said due to the issues I had I had been sterile for years, I just never knew it.
After the three surgeries he ended up leaving one ovary and my uterus. He left those because of my age and he did not want me to start hormones so early in life if I did not have to. And he was on the conservative side on what he removed due to that same issue.
Knock wood, no trouble after all those years. I thought I would start menopause early, and I know I have to be in it. But don't have symptoms, other than my periods stopped years ago. (Oh darn. ;) )
Until right before my surgeries I did not (knowingly) have any issues. I was told way back when I would probably have to have a hysterectomy. But so far, so good.
So it is possible to keep a small portion and be fine afterwards. But even at the last surgery the doctor could not promise which way the surgey would go, as far as how much he would take until he actually was inside.
If it were me and there was any doubt, I would instruct the doctor to remove it. I found the doctor may have to go back in soon after the test results come back. But life can be fine afterwards if only the portion that is the issue is removed.
None of my tests came back as cancerous. One was "suspicious". But much of that area was dead. And the last surgery he went back in because I just always had a dull ache at my one tube.
My sister is an RN and she watched the videotapes of my last surgery. (eowww) She said eveything was red, rosy and healthy -- except that gray tube the doctor removed.

Good luck. We wish you all the best and a healthy life! :wave:

i have a fibroid growing out of the top of my uterus, i also have nabothian cysts all over my uterus i didnt relize how many until i obtained a copy of my ultrasound films and looked at them. nabothian cysts usually form when your uterus has been overstretched and then goes back to normal which happened to me during pregnancy 23 yrs ago, the fibroid is new i wouls say about 3 years, i didnt realized i had it until i started peri-menopause and couldnt figure out if the erratic bleeding was from that or the fibroid, i noticed when i moved the lawn or shoveled snow i would always start bleeding and couldnt figure out why now i know it was from the fibroid, its only 2 cm so right now their just watching it getting an ultrasound every 6 months to see if it shrinks, its suppose to with menopause and im 50 so we'll see what happens

I am currently 36 and had a full hysterectomy one year ago. I was having severe problems only when I was on my period (probably hormonal) which the doctor tried to correct with birth control and it didn't work. I first underwent lapro for possible endometriosis which the doctor didn't see any but found that I was having problems with ovaries. Doctor did tell me that partial hysterectomy could stop the problems I was having but if it was hormonal then ovaries would need to go (she suggested the pill as I was only 36 and never had children). Just prior to this problem I learned that I am diabetic.

As my problems continued during my period without relief from birth control pill I consulted another physician (I am a Hurricane Katrina victim and was living 150 miles away from home and still getting very sick) who stated that I needed the hysterectomy (she also wanted a 3rd opinion which I did get it and he also stated the same). I had to fight with the doctor to remove my ovaries (I couldn't get my prior records as both doctor and records were gone due to hurricane) even though I informed her that I had problems with them (as 1st doctor stated) and had to use the premise that I am diabetic and would prefer to undergo the surgery at a younger age than risk possibly getting ovarian cancer at an older age and then undergoing a second surgery (I do have family members who have female cancers). I also had to fight using the premise that if I had a partial hyster. and overaries were left and if my problem was due to hormones then the partial hyster. wouldn't help me in the end. She finally agreed to do a full hysterectomy and afterwards she told me that I did have a fibroid growing in the uterus and one overary did have endometriosis growing so essentially my problems weren't going to be getting any better.

I am going to pm you with some additional info that I've learned along the way. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of the replies

disneydeb-I've had the fibroid less than 2 years and it's already 10cm.

I had my uterus and 1 overy removed 12 years ago at age 31. I insisted the doc leave the healthest overy. (both had cysts) I had the other removed 2 years ago and entered Menopause. I am pain free but the Menopause issues are extremely troublesome for me. If I had to make the decision again, I would do the same thing. I am so thankful that I was able to delay the onset of Menopause as long as I did by keeping the overy.

Everyone that I know,including me, who had a hysterectomy but kept the ovaries ended up having to have them removed anyway. I would go ahead and have them removed. Why go through another surgery?

I am 45 yrs old and am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in 4 days due to uterine fibroids. I am struggling if I should leave my ovaries or not. The people I know that have had their ovaries removed are telling me to remove them. The latest studies are showing not to have them removed. Please give me your opinions.

I had it done last week and I decided to keep the ovary. I didn't think my family could survive me being thrown into menopause all at once. :rolleyes: .

Now I just have to wait for the biopsy results.

Best thing I could have done was to have the complete hysterectomy! I've suffered with polycystic ovaries, endometriosis for years.
I had one ovary removed at 40 because of a cyst the size of an orange. The pain, bleeding etc. did not improve at all.
One year later had to have a total hysterectomy. Had several cysts on the remaining ovary, 4 fibroids & endometriosis gone wild. I was put on Premarin right after the surgery. I have never felt better in my life. No more of the pain etc. My mood change was dramatically better. DH jokes that I should have had one 20 years ago!
Another bonus, I have not had a migraine headache since the day before the hysterectomy!
I'm 48 now and still on the Premarin. Dr. hasn't mentioned taking me off of it yet. I may feel different about all of this, when I stop the hormones.:confused3

I had a hysterectomy 5 yrs ago and I have never felt better I had it all
removed. As far as early menopause I must not have a bad case of it. I am 43
and I truly was glad to have all the pain and worries to stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter