I’m FINALLY going to Fort Wilderness!

tabbytrekker

Mouseketeer
I know I likely shouldn’t post this, and potentially jinx my trip, but I’m excited that I’m finally going to Fort Wilderness!!

Okay, that makes it sound like I’ve never been to Fort Wilderness. I have. I stayed at Fort Wilderness in: 1989... 1998... 2003... 2011 (Cabin). Seems like I’m forgetting a time in there. I adore Fort Wilderness!

The reason I’m mostly excited is because I’m FINALLY going with my travel trailer! The one I bought a couple years ago with the main purpose of being able to camp at Fort Wilderness a little more securely.

The people on this site were quite helpful back when I bought my travel trailer. Regretfully I will not be able to give you entertainment trying to back my travel trailer into a spot. (I’m still horrible at backing up my travel trailer) My parents are actually driving down to Fort Wilderness with my travel trailer first, staying a week, then I’m flying down and they fly back home, and after a week or so I will be driving my travel trailer back home. Maybe I’ll make some popcorn for everyone while I pack up my travel trailer to go. :)

I just wanted to share the excitement, and say if anyone has any tips or suggestions or whatever I’d appreciate it.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Congratulations!

You can ask at check in if they have someone who will back up your trailer for you. I have known people to do this and they have been happy to help.

Or, if you see a "neighbor" home with a TT, you could ask for help. Campers are friendly sorts and I have never had anyone deny me when asking for assistance. Likewise, I have always gone above and beyond to do anything I can to help my fellow campers.

Thirdly, you can practice, practice, practice before you go. :-) I'm a 56 year old female and I only learned how to back a trailer a few years ago. Go very slow! It was so intimidating to me all these years, now I can do it fairly easily. I don't usually, as my husband does it, but I wanted to learn so I did.

Good luck and hope you have an amazing trip!!!

Congrats, our first trip in our TT to FW is this summer too. I agree with the other sentiments on backing. Take your time. Everyone was a rookie once. Ask for help instead of bashing that hard-earned investment into a tree.

Sounds like the best kind of trip. Someone else hauls it down and sets it up. You fly in and drive it all home when you are done.

DW has flown down a couple of times, since she doesn't have as much vacation time. That means I get the pleasure of driving both ways.

Have a great time. A lot has changed since 2011, but a lot is still the same. .

j

Sounds like the best kind of trip. Someone else hauls it down and sets it up. You fly in and drive it all home when you are done.

DW has flown down a couple of times, since she doesn't have as much vacation time. That means I get the pleasure of driving both ways.

Have a great time. A lot has changed since 2011, but a lot is still the same. .

j

ble to give you entertainment trying to back my travel trailer into a spot. (I’m still horrible at backing up my travel trailer) My parents are actually driving down to Fort Wilderness with my travel trailer first, staying a week, then I’m flying down and they fly back home, and after a week or so I will be driving my travel trailer back home. Maybe I’ll make some popcorn for everyone while I pack up my travel trailer to go. :)

That's a nice thing you are doing, tabbytrekker.

In the past I've pulled my popup to our State Park at the beach and my parents drove down to use it for a few days before I came back to use it. Not quite the same since your folks are pulling your trailer down to the Fort but it allows them a way to enjoy the Fort and all its pleasures that they might not otherwise have been able to do. Now that my parents have aged to the point they no longer can use my trailer any more, they still fondly recall their carefree visits to the beach in the popup, the morning sunrises, and relaxing walks. That's the kind of gift you're giving your folks.

And while it's true that watching you pull out with your trailer may not be as fun as watching you back it in, if it's a slow morning you might still attract a crowd to watch you if they have nothing else to do.

giphy.gif

Congrats on getting the trailer.

Bama Ed

PS - we love pictures <hint, hint> :rolleyes:

One of the times I was hooking up to leave two people stopped and watched me for a few minutes.

I had to ask them what I was doing wrong.

Turned out they had the same anti-sway bar set up and had issues with it too.

But prior to that I was sure I was about to provide entertainment.

I am so jealous!! I’m still in a tent!! Maybe someday ( RV though, we like to camp but DH pulls a boat most places we go, he likes to bass fish) have a great time!!!!

Congratulations on your travel trailer purchase! I know it's exciting. We are fairly new to trailer camping, having just purchased ours two years ago.
We stayed in July in a premium site (loop 500), and we enjoyed it so much. We did have a lot of trouble backing into our site. We scratched up our truck on some bushes backing in. The loop roads are narrow, and we are new-ish campers.
Take your time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter