I-10 near Los Angeles closed Nov 13 - Nov 21, 2023

bbeagle

DIS Veteran
There was a major fire near downtown Los Angeles that has closed the I-10 'indefinitely'. Some of the overpasses might have to be torn down and rebuilt. It seems to mirror what happened in Philadelphia on the I-95 in June.

Just a warning that this will cause much larger traffic delays during the Thanksgiving and Christmas travel periods. Might make it much harder for the Universal to/from Disney travel.

This is near downtown Los Angeles, not near the airport. If you fly in or out of LAX, and are traveling to Disneyland - it won't affect that travel as much.

This should be a banner or highlighted in some way. It is going to impact not only the 10, but also alternative route freeways, for quite a while.

Edit to add that this morning's news conference said 3-5 weeks.

Last edited:
Updating: It looks like the freeway open on Tuesday, Nov. 21.
Wow. They're beating the record set by Philadelphia! Good news! :)

It would be MONTHS, then 3-5 weeks, now less than a week. Did they just look at everything and say, 'Hmmmm... looks good. No need to repair anything!' ???

Wow. They're beating the record set by Philadelphia! Good news! :)

It would be MONTHS, then 3-5 weeks, now less than a week. Did they just look at everything and say, 'Hmmmm... looks good. No need to repair anything!' ???

That actually collapsed. The worry with this section of I-10 is that the steel might be weakened under the concrete because of the heat. What they're doing now seems more like a sign-off that the steel is fine (although they might do some minor repairs) along with a patch job of the concrete.

These things always start out that way until the structural engineers can assess the damage. Often times, it isn't as bad as they originally thought and are able to make temporary repairs. Probanly good if the OP can change the topic since 2 yrs from now people might stumble on this and not realize it has reopened.

Last edited:
These things always start out that way until the structural engineers can assess the damage. Often times, it isn't as bad as they originally thought and are able to make temporary repairs. Probanly good if the OP can change the topic since 2 yrs from now people might stumble on this and not realize it has reopened.
Thank you for the reminder. I did just that.

Makes sense then someone doesn't stumble on this thread 2 yrs from now and restart the discussion saying the road is now open !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter