I-4 from Orlando to Tampa

Music City Mama

DIS Veteran
Hi, hoping to get some input on what type of traffic we can expect on a Sunday afternoon (around noon) going from Orlando (Universal) to Tampa/Clearwater on I-4. I looked at the traffic yesterday and it didn't seem like there was really anything. It will be next Sunday, leading up to the 4th of July, but I would think by Sunday afternoon, most people traveling for the holiday would've made it to their destination by that point. We'd be driving back to Universal around 7-8:00 p.m. Is it really feasible to get there in about 1 hour and 15 minutes? We'll be stopping in Tampa first to meet my parents, then driving over to Clearwater. Thanks.

You're correct that at that time of day on a Sunday you'll probably be OK traffic wise. Of course, all it takes is one dumb move by somebody on the road and you could wind up in a jam.

Thanks, I'm hoping it won't take more than 90 minutes, but you never know...

I guess at this point, I should probably be more concerned about getting from Tampa to Clearwater. We're only going to spend about 60-90 minutes over there -- just to see the Gulf since we won't be making a trip to the panhandle this year. Any ideas on what kind of back-up I can expect getting over there from Tampa at around 3:30?

We live near Tampa and we make the I-4 commute often. Like everyone else said, the drive can be unpredictable. There always seems to be one minor accident when we drive I-4. During the day the "back-ups" you can expect is near the Disney parks, Lakeland, and once you get to 275 in Tampa. You are going to be hitting beach traffic. Personally, I think 90 minutes is pushing it in the afternoon, Expect 2 hours at best if you are taking the beach route. On the way back at night it will be lightyears better.

If you are looking for a good, unique dining location, we like Daily Eats. The menu is odd, but the food is oh so good! We go there for brunch all the time. the address is 901 S Howard Ave, Tampa, FL 33606. (try the Cap'n Cluck)

We landed in Tampa and drove to Disney a couple of months ago. I-4 East moved fine, I-4 west was really heavy with stop and go traffic in areas.This was the 11:30 AM-1:00 PM window. I'd give myself extra time just in case.

During the day the "back-ups" you can expect is near the Disney parks, Lakeland, and once you get to 275 in Tampa. You are going to be hitting beach traffic. Personally, I think 90 minutes is pushing it in the afternoon, Expect 2 hours at best if you are taking the beach route

Oh yuck -- even on a Sunday? I might change my plans... We're driving 12 hours tomorrow and the last thing I want to do is drive 2 hours each way on Sunday.

Since you are going to the water the traffic tends to get more congested closer to the beaches, even during the day, Especially during a Sunday.. I don't want my speculations to ruin your trip. Thats just what I have gathered. The only thing I can be certain of is its uncertainty. It's nothing compared to LA traffic, but just be prepared.

According to Google maps, the current drive from Universal studios to Clearwater Beach is 1 hour and 59 minutes.

Well, we're stopping in Tampa first -- that's what I'm hoping is only 90 minutes. We'll break for a couple of hours there. Then, I don't mind driving another 30ish minutes to get to Clearwater (as long as it's not an hour to get to Clearwater from Tampa). This would be around 3:30 on Sunday (from Tampa to Clearwater).

I would allow a little more time to get from Tampa to Clearwater Beach. On our recent trip we found that traffic through Clearwater (the city downtown) tends to bottleneck at one spot, then remember that everyone is taking the same bridge to and from the beach. You might want to consider the water taxi from Clearwater to Clearwater Beach....

The best time I've had, from Tampa to WDW, was an hour, 10 mins. That was at 7:00am, in Easter Sunday! And it was about 5 miles west of Tampa International to the TTC. You need to add another 15-20 mins to US and 20 mins to Clearwater.

Thanks all. After the unexpected delays we had on our long drive down here yesterday, I don't think I'll have it in me to do any more driving. If we ran into a lot of traffic tomorrow on I-4, I'd probably lose my mind after yesterday lol. I'll just have my parents drive out here later in the week. Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

We've scrapped the Tampa/Clearwater plan and my parents will come here next week. But we are going to drive to Brandon around 4:00 pm on Sunday/tomorrow to see my brother. Shouldn't be too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter