I am in shock. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Wahlee

Mouseketeer
So I decided to do a girls' trip to Disneyland for my 39th birthday with my two sisters, sister-in-law, and best friend. We decided to splurge and stay onsite, so we booked a theme-park view at the Paradise Pier (about as far as our budget could stretch). We'd hoped to miss the SW:GE craziness, but unfortunately my birthday is June 4, so we're actually right in the thick of the worst if it. We were glad we booked onsite, though! And our reservations are for my birthday at 8 am! We're so excited.

Tonight, my friend (who made the hotel reservation) got a call from Disney. She almost didn't answer it, but they called twice from the same number, so she picked it up. Apparently, they have "such a high volume of people trying to come" that they are giving us a complimentary upgrade to Grand Californian premium view.

What the heck? I'm still in shock. They must have overbooked.

This is going to be the best trip EVER.

That’s great! I bet people booking specifically for SW are looking for the cheapest rooms (that’s what we did!), so maybe there are more upgrades than usual. Glad your birthday trip gets some pixie dust! We have 8am reservations on June 4, too, so maybe we’ll see you there!

What a great upgrade! Great way to start your celebration! Have a wonderful trip!

Woohoo!!! That's awesome!! The closest I ever came to that was once when we were booked at DLH concierge. As it got close to our reservation time, they decided to do a refurb on the concierge lounge. They called me and said we would have concierge privileges at GCH. I said nope, that won't work, which seemed to be what they were expecting because they immediately offered to move us to GCH concierge, which I accepted. We had 2 rooms and were bringing my elderly mother, and the whole reason for booking concierge was to give her a nice place to hang out with one of us when she was tired of following the kids around in the parks. It wouldn't have been possible for her to go back and forth between hotels for the concierge lounge lol.

That's awesome! I've only ever stayed at the GCH and it was such a great experience. Especially if you have park hoppers and you'd wanted to duck in and out of DCA. I hope that you have a great trip!

That's awesome! I've only ever stayed at the GCH and it was such a great experience. Especially if you have park hoppers and you'd wanted to duck in and out of DCA. I hope that you have a great trip!

We do have PH tickets, and our other big splurge is the WoC dessert party the night of my bday. Star Wars in the morning, WoC from a CHAIR at night, then a walk back to the hotel through the dedicated entrance? How could a birthday get any better?!?

We do have PH tickets, and our other big splurge is the WoC dessert party the night of my bday. Star Wars in the morning, WoC from a CHAIR at night, then a walk back to the hotel through the dedicated entrance? How could a birthday get any better?!?

Sounds like this will be an absolutely magical day! I hope you'll write a trip report after so we can hear all about it.

Glad it’s working out for you!

I would have freaked them out bc I’d have said nope. Just don’t like the grand. :duck:

What a nice surprise! I've never heard of an upgrade before your arrived nor at a hotel switch!

We've been upgraded to suite at PPH randomly. But I do know someone who booked a suite at DLH and then upgraded to the Adventureland Suite. But again... the upgrade was upon check in!

Glad your friend answered the phone!

Once, I booked a standard room at PPH for one night and they upgraded us to the Huntington Suite. It was just me and my then teenage son. We ended up ordering breakfast from room service since we had a nice big dining room table. :laughing::laughing:

So I decided to do a girls' trip to Disneyland for my 39th birthday with my two sisters, sister-in-law, and best friend. We decided to splurge and stay onsite, so we booked a theme-park view at the Paradise Pier (about as far as our budget could stretch). We'd hoped to miss the SW:GE craziness, but unfortunately my birthday is June 4, so we're actually right in the thick of the worst if it. We were glad we booked onsite, though! And our reservations are for my birthday at 8 am! We're so excited.

Tonight, my friend (who made the hotel reservation) got a call from Disney. She almost didn't answer it, but they called twice from the same number, so she picked it up. Apparently, they have "such a high volume of people trying to come" that they are giving us a complimentary upgrade to Grand Californian premium view.

What the heck? I'm still in shock. They must have overbooked.

This is going to be the best trip EVER.

Yes happened to me in Disneyland Paris :)

A few years ago during the annual refurbs in February, the Disneyland Railroad was having some major work done. The skrims really obstructed the park view rooms at Disneyland Hotel. Usually the park view rooms could see down Main Street and to The Castle and could see the night time fireworks from their rooms, but during this refurb the skirims at Main Street Train Station completely blocked the view of The Castle.

Anyways I booked a 4 day visit at the end of February. I was fully aware of all the refurbs but it was the only time free in my schedule. I booked Hotel New York, which is the deluxe just under the Disneyland Hotel price range. Disneyland Hotel, even in the refurb season was waaaay above my budget and I had resigned myself to never staying there. About 3 weeks before my departure date I got a few missed calls from a number I didnt recognise. They had a French area code, so I thought they were scam / phisihing calls so was not answering. The next time the the call came through, I decided to answer and OMG it was Disneyland Paris !!

The call was to upgrade me to Disneyland Hotel at no extra charge!! Holy Mickey Ears, I was in shock. The lady was really nice and said she would send me a new confirmation email and change my itinerary on My Disney Account. After the call, the wait for the email and refreshing My Disney Account were the longest.

It was the best Disney experience ever. Im guessing I was upgraded to spread occupancy. Its very likely bookings at Disneyland Hotel were down due to the refubs and temporary lack of park view. Most likely the room assigners at Hotel New York were having a hard time trying to find rooms for all the extra people booking that hotel instead of Disneyland Hotel. I was a solo traveller and I think the room I had originally booked had 2 double beds. The room I was moved to in Disneyland Hotel had 1 double bed. By moving me to the more expensive hotel, Disney could put a family into the room originally assigned to me.

I checked the racked rates of the room I stayed in at Disneyland Hotel. 1 night in that room was the same price I had paid for my entire 4 night package!!

@Wahlee enjoy every moment of your unexpected pixie dust. Check out the hotel amenities and make sure to try thing you would not normally do.

Last edited:
Wow! Nice upgrade. I’ve only eaten at Grand Californian and wandered thru. It reminds me so much of WDW Wilderness Lodge.
My friend once got an upgrade at wdw from Pop to Saratoga because of over booking. And we got upgraded from WDW Poly to Grand Floridian because we found out during our stay the main pool at Poly was going to be closed because of construction. In August when WDW is hotter than the surface of the sun!

I get so many scam phone calls, I would have been fully expecting the caller to go on to explain that I just had to go to the grocery store to buy some iTunes gift cards to pay the “taxes” for the upgrade. Congrats and enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!