I Am Not Fast: A 2015 Dumbo Double Dare Trip Report!

Hopefully they will add in some good Paris highlights, or some beautiful country views. Other than the Honda Center and Angels Stadium, the non-Disney portions of the Disneyland course were just factories from what I remember.

Disneyland Paris is a good bit away from everything else so I'm pretty sure the best we can hope for is some nice country views.

I'm guessing they won't, since it'll go off of Disney property. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I meant in WWoS, they do have characters in there right? It's such a long route through there I feel like they could make it a bit more exciting with some good stops or something.

Yeah, sunglasses make a huge difference! I remember a few years ago I read a running article where the author recommended wearing sunglasses because it would help not to waste energy scrunching your face up when it's sunny out. Which I thought was so funny...but then again I guess I need all of the extra energy I can get!

I just saw the race photos for the day and I am pulling all sorts of attractive scrunching faces
IF ONLY I KNEW!! I could've been sub 2hrs with all that energy!

Actually, no...one of them lives in the Orlando area so I will see her on the WDW portion of the trip, but she won't be running. Going to Disneyland with my mom. :) And all of my friends are doing the Star Wars races, but I won't be there for that one since I already had Princess and Tink planned out. Oh well!

Aw that's really nice! Will your mam run any part of the weekend? We tried to convince my Mam to do the 5k or 10k but she was having none of it!

Disneyland Paris is a good bit away from everything else so I'm pretty sure the best we can hope for is some nice country views.
That should be nice.
I meant in WWoS, they do have characters in there right? It's such a long route through there I feel like they could make it a bit more exciting with some good stops or something.
They had 1 character stop in WWoS this year, but of course I somehow missed it. :sad:
I just saw the race photos for the day and I am pulling all sorts of attractive scrunching faces
IF ONLY I KNEW!! I could've been sub 2hrs with all that energy!
:rotfl2: Haha, right?! If only there had been less face scrunching! :teeth:
Aw that's really nice! Will your mam run any part of the weekend? We tried to convince my Mam to do the 5k or 10k but she was having none of it!
Yes! Since the race weekend is Mother's Day I bought her a 5K entry as her Mother's Day gift. I'm not sure if we will do it separately or together but she's excited about it. :)

I think I liked Space a little better here at Disneyland...it just felt crazy! Jess said that she thought the music really added a lot...weirdly enough, I think I was way too focused on holding on for dear life to notice the music! I guess that means I need to ride again! ::yes::
Random fun fact- they guy who wrote the Space Mountain music also wrote the score to The Incredibles, Jurassic World and Inside Out!

I have heard that. I would say my #1 must-do for Disneyland was RSR - since we did that and I'm going back, I'm not beating myself up for missing other things, but I do have a list of things I want to make sure not to miss this time. not having the races should help...of course I will be fighting holiday crowds...:eek:

That's tough, because now they may find they have feelings of nostalgia toward that song since they have been listening to it for so long...what if they are NEVER turned?!

Yep, that was me. iMore, right? :)
Now that you've done RSR, you need RSR at night to be on the must do list. Pretty lighting and less harsh contrast between the show scenes and going outside!
Hopefully, they'll never turn from Small World! The music is a great study in tempo and counterpoint! And for the Christmas trip with hubby, they'll have Small World Holiday, which another one of those special things that DL does that WDW doesn't. Small World, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise. That's your special DL holiday list for a WDW veteran!
And yes, it was iMore. And as a side note, since I was reading that whole thread and no one mentioned it, and I see even in your pictures of the DL half you have your arm band around your wrist- I'm guessing because you like to look at your phone while you run? A few years ago at a RnR expo I was introduced to my "can't run without" obsession. It's called HB Tune (I'm sure if you Google it you'll find the site). I have the one that you strap to your hand. LOVE IT! :lovestruc I just upgraded the to the size that fits the 6+ for my 8 mile run (Avengers training- hey-oh!) and was pleased with how the larger size it still comfortable. *end sales pitch*

Woohoo!! More updates!!!

Those pictures of all of you with Stitch are adorable. Or I guess I should say cute. ;) That looks like an amazing character breakfast and you got wonderful shots. I remember riding the Indiana Jones ride when we were last at DL and remember loving it so much. I actually like Dinosaur although I know a lot of people don't, but I do remember thinking that IJ was much better.
Man, I remember back when Dinosaur was Countdown to Extinction- that ride was the best. It was darker, louder, jerkier, more intense than the Dinosaur counterpart. But when the Dinosaur Disney movie came out in 2000 they toned down the ride because they thought more kids would want to go on the ride and they didn't want them too scared. The ride lost a lot of its ooomph with that change and it's never been quite as awesome as it once was. But IJ is consistently fun. Same track system, but they aren't obligated to tone it down for the kiddies!

Dressed mine up a little bit. :)
21285495265_0d91cc8f1e_z.jpg

I am feeling something that is like jealously and sadness that I have never even though out buying the pins to bling the C2C ribbon. Wow, Megan, way to miss an opportunity. :charac2:

Yeah, I think my mindset wasn't the best going into it (with not being as trained as I would have liked), and I really did not do a good job of preparing myself for the non-park time. I think that hit me a little harder than I expected. If I did this race again I have to think it would go better, just because I would know what to expect. :confused3

But I think my mindset going into this race was not the best (as I mentioned above due to the recent injury and training derailment), so that definitely had an effect on how I perceived things. I'm still sort of trying to figure out how I feel about the course, and for now I have landed on this: to me, a good majority of this race really felt like one I could do at home, and that's not what I look for in Disney races - I want the parks and I want the characters. This one did have that for the first 4 miles, but after it was all non-Disney stuff. LOTS of it, but apparently I was just really looking for the *Disney* in everything.

I don't know, like I said...I'm still working out how I feel about it, and I feel guilty in a way that I am not having a 100% positive reaction. Like there's something wrong with me in a way?! ;) It's actually something I have been struggling with since the race ended!
No, don't beat yourself up. These are important things to note and be honest about! Disney sells sells sells the "every mile is magic" that if you are new to the experience you might expect it to be true. But sometimes running 13.1 miles just ... sucks. Both DL and WDW are different beasts. WDW just to mix up when the park time is and add random characters, but the rest of the highway stretches are just that- looooooong stretches of empty highways. DL gets more local support on the non Disney parts, but when you are paying for the "Disney" aspect pf a race, it can be a let down. I've done almost all of the Disney half marathons they offer on both coats, and there isn't one that I would describe as the quintessential runDisney experience. They all have the great parts and the things that just are not so awesome. And telling people about them is important! When distance running is such a getting over mental hurdles experience, it's good to know that the mental hurdles about particular courses are going to be!

Shadows or not, this one is the winner in my book. I realize his face doesn't change, but Mickey looks so darn impressed and proud of you! Trumps a partners statue in my opinion!

Random fun fact- they guy who wrote the Space Mountain music also wrote the score to The Incredibles, Jurassic World and Inside Out!
So what you're saying is...that guy is awesome!
Now that you've done RSR, you need RSR at night to be on the must do list. Pretty lighting and less harsh contrast between the show scenes and going outside!
Hopefully, they'll never turn from Small World! The music is a great study in tempo and counterpoint! And for the Christmas trip with hubby, they'll have Small World Holiday, which another one of those special things that DL does that WDW doesn't. Small World, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise. That's your special DL holiday list for a WDW veteran!
I will put RSR at night on my list for sure! Along with Small World, Haunted Mansion and the Jingle Cruise. :)
And yes, it was iMore. And as a side note, since I was reading that whole thread and no one mentioned it, and I see even in your pictures of the DL half you have your arm band around your wrist- I'm guessing because you like to look at your phone while you run? A few years ago at a RnR expo I was introduced to my "can't run without" obsession. It's called HB Tune (I'm sure if you Google it you'll find the site). I have the one that you strap to your hand. LOVE IT! :lovestruc I just upgraded the to the size that fits the 6+ for my 8 mile run (Avengers training- hey-oh!) and was pleased with how the larger size it still comfortable. *end sales pitch*
Because I like to look at the phone, yes, and also if I put the phone in a skirt pocket, the skirt will start to fall down. I have read others say that they can run with the phone, water bottle, whatever in their pocket and it's fine, and I just do now know how that is possible! I might look into the HB tune, the arm band is okay but not great.
Man, I remember back when Dinosaur was Countdown to Extinction- that ride was the best. It was darker, louder, jerkier, more intense than the Dinosaur counterpart. But when the Dinosaur Disney movie came out in 2000 they toned down the ride because they thought more kids would want to go on the ride and they didn't want them too scared. The ride lost a lot of its ooomph with that change and it's never been quite as awesome as it once was. But IJ is consistently fun. Same track system, but they aren't obligated to tone it down for the kiddies!
That's interesting...by the time I discovered Disney it was Dinosaur, so I never got to do the old version. :(
I am feeling something that is like jealously and sadness that I have never even though out buying the pins to bling the C2C ribbon. Wow, Megan, way to miss an opportunity. :charac2:
I totally stole that idea from someone else. Maybe you can find the pins you need on ebay?
No, don't beat yourself up. These are important things to note and be honest about! Disney sells sells sells the "every mile is magic" that if you are new to the experience you might expect it to be true. But sometimes running 13.1 miles just ... sucks. Both DL and WDW are different beasts. WDW just to mix up when the park time is and add random characters, but the rest of the highway stretches are just that- looooooong stretches of empty highways. DL gets more local support on the non Disney parts, but when you are paying for the "Disney" aspect pf a race, it can be a let down. I've done almost all of the Disney half marathons they offer on both coats, and there isn't one that I would describe as the quintessential runDisney experience. They all have the great parts and the things that just are not so awesome. And telling people about them is important! When distance running is such a getting over mental hurdles experience, it's good to know that the mental hurdles about particular courses are going to be!
Thank you! I'm glad that you said this - both Disney and other blog posts I have read definitely gloss over how hard the last 9.1 miles are. I think you hit on my issue exactly - I paid for the "Disney" aspect of the race and what I got was closer to the local races I can run here at home (with more spectators obviously, but still). At least I will know for next time, if there is a next time!

I mean...I feel bad about it because I know other people are planning on doing this race and I'd hate to dissuade anyone from it just because it wasn't all magical miles for me. That's why I feel sort of guilty about it. :confused3
Shadows or not, this one is the winner in my book. I realize his face doesn't change, but Mickey looks so darn impressed and proud of you! Trumps a partners statue in my opinion!
Thanks! I love that one too, shadows and all. :)

Thank you! I'm glad that you said this - both Disney and other blog posts I have read definitely gloss over how hard the last 9.1 miles are. I think you hit on my issue exactly - I paid for the "Disney" aspect of the race and what I got was closer to the local races I can run here at home (with more spectators obviously, but still). At least I will know for next time, if there is a next time!

I mean...I feel bad about it because I know other people are planning on doing this race and I'd hate to dissuade anyone from it just because it wasn't all magical miles for me. That's why I feel sort of guilty about it. :confused3

Don't feel guilty! I think your honesty in laying out YOUR experience is great. At least people who read your TR will know what they're in for. That knowledge can only help someone in making a reality-based decision. We know how expensive these races and trips are and you may be helping someone out by telling your story. I ran Tink in 2014 and luckily I'd studied the course maps beforehand enough to know that there would be limited park time. It's a feature of Anaheim races, that's all there is to it. If that's enough to sway someone's decision from doing a DL race, then that's definitely not your fault. Even with the majority of the course being out Anaheim, I'm still doing Star Wars and Tink in 2016, so it's obviously not impacting my decision. :)

Don't feel guilty! I think your honesty in laying out YOUR experience is great. At least people who read your TR will know what they're in for. That knowledge can only help someone in making a reality-based decision. We know how expensive these races and trips are and you may be helping someone out by telling your story. I ran Tink in 2014 and luckily I'd studied the course maps beforehand enough to know that there would be limited park time. It's a feature of Anaheim races, that's all there is to it. If that's enough to sway someone's decision from doing a DL race, then that's definitely not your fault. Even with the majority of the course being out Anaheim, I'm still doing Star Wars and Tink in 2016, so it's obviously not impacting my decision. :)
Thank you for posting this. :hug:

I think I'm struggling with how I reacted to the half because this is the first Disney course I haven't 100% loved, so that's disappointing to me. :confused3 And while I sort of knew there was limited park time, I guess I just didn't know that it would be such an issue for me. Good to know for the future.

I don't know why I feel guilty about it - it's my experience and my opinion, so I shouldn't. But I just do! I'm weird. :upsidedow

And I'm signed up for Tink anyway so at least I know a little better what I'm in for! :)

Just read your trip report and loved it. I just did the WDW marathon (my first event longer than a 5k anywhere) and loved it so I'm signed up for the Double Dare this year. I grew up fairly close and know the area, but your report really helped me visualize what it will be like (and yeah, the part after mile 4 is not going to be great). I think if I weren't going Coast to Coast, I'd happily settle for the 10k, but I gotta get the bling this time. But thank you for taking the time to do such a great report.

Just read your trip report and loved it. I just did the WDW marathon (my first event longer than a 5k anywhere) and loved it so I'm signed up for the Double Dare this year. I grew up fairly close and know the area, but your report really helped me visualize what it will be like (and yeah, the part after mile 4 is not going to be great). I think if I weren't going Coast to Coast, I'd happily settle for the 10k, but I gotta get the bling this time. But thank you for taking the time to do such a great report.
Thanks for checking out the report, and congrats on finishing the marathon! You will love that Coast-to-Coast medal, it's amazing! :)

It looks awesome. I liked the 10k medal they had last year too. I'm not really much of a runner, definitely not as fast as you and at this point can't imagine either the Goofy or Dopey Challenges. For Dumbo, did you find you took it easier in the 10k or did it not really affect you? I'm in my planning stages of thinking how to balance the two races, plus park time Friday and Saturday for the races.

It looks awesome. I liked the 10k medal they had last year too. I'm not really much of a runner, definitely not as fast as you and at this point can't imagine either the Goofy or Dopey Challenges. For Dumbo, did you find you took it easier in the 10k or did it not really affect you? I'm in my planning stages of thinking how to balance the two races, plus park time Friday and Saturday for the races.
I took it easy during all of the races! That's how I do Disney races...very relaxed pace with lots of picture stops. :)

If you find a good half marathon training plan to follow, I'm sure you will be well-prepared for Dumbo!! :thumbsup2 My personal philosophy is that if you're in half marathon shape, adding the 10K in the day before shouldn't be a big deal, provided you aren't planning on running both races full-out...if you are it gets a little murkier, and I am not the person to ask about that since that is the exact opposite of how I run Disney races. :teeth:

As long as I beat the 16 minute per mile, I'm happy with my pace. I do find that doing the marathon first makes the whole mental approach to the half a lot easier!! Thanks for your tips!

Just read your report on a link over from the Disneyland half marathon thread from this year! Thanks for all the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter