I am NOT Leaving Without a Brioche Ice Cream Sandwich! - A May 2016 Dining Report - UPDATE 06/26

Those cupcakes look great! I'm excited to hear about the brioche ice cream sandwich. It sounds kind weird to me! But sometimes weird is good. :) Looking forward to reading more!

I'm HERE!!!!! So happy to be joining in!
And I'm glad I'm not TOO late! :D

Those ribs look awesome!! Can't wait for more!

Here!

That dessert sounds surprisingly good for Fairfax - and the food looks quite tasty as well! It's never really been on our radar, but I might put it higher on the list, especially since HS's QS options are pretty slim right now :P

Can't wait to read more!

Fairfax Faire looks yummy! I had to look it up to find out where it was...shows you how often I'm in DHS. Looking forward to more...your list looks great!!

Welcome! We don't go to the parks that often, so DHS is still a several-outings-a-trip park for us.

Me too :) - We usually have lunch at Prime Time or Sci-Fi. We did try the QS Backlot or something. They took away my grilled vegetable sandwich there :(. It was my first time too here about two years ago.

Will have to try the ribs at Fairfax - love ribs!!

Welcome!!

A little late to the party but jumping in now :)

Yay! It's never too late to join in!! I certainly seem to find the parties late on here...

I had somehow never even read the menu for Fairfax before, but that salad looks really interesting. I'm going to jump over and start reading your trip report now too!

Thanks for joining in for both reports! Happy to have you along!

Those cupcakes look great! I'm excited to hear about the brioche ice cream sandwich. It sounds kind weird to me! But sometimes weird is good. :) Looking forward to reading more!

Welcome!! Whenever I explain that sandwich to people, they look at me like I'm crazy. It's ok. It's just that good.

Joining in! That cupcake looks delish!!

Welcome! That cupcake WAS delish!

I'm HERE!!!!! So happy to be joining in!
And I'm glad I'm not TOO late! :D

Those ribs look awesome!! Can't wait for more!

Hooray!!! SO glad to see you here! I need to go catch up on your dining report!

Following!

Thanks for joining in!

Following along! Thanks for sharing!

Welcome!!!

Here!

That dessert sounds surprisingly good for Fairfax - and the food looks quite tasty as well! It's never really been on our radar, but I might put it higher on the list, especially since HS's QS options are pretty slim right now :P

Can't wait to read more!

Welcome! It was seriously the best cupcake all week and I would rank it among the tops for dessert the whole trip.

DAY 2 (Part 1) Starring Rolls and Mama Melrose

We were up & at 'em for DHS Extra Magic Hours and after D and Melissa rode Rock'n Rollercoaster, they were feeling a bit peckish. I must admit this excited me, because I could steer them to Starring Rolls, a place I'd been dying to go to. Sadly, I don't have ANY pictures of this outing, but I got one of the best butter croissants I'd ever had. So LIGHT, so FRESH - a real pleasure to eat. I did see the legendary Butterfinger cupcake while I was in there, but it didn't appeal to me. D got a cherry danish. Starring Rolls is tiny and cute, though people seem to find it a bit hard to navigate, for some reason.

Our next meal was at Mama Melrose. Melissa had always wanted to try it. I was a bit apprehensive. To me, Italian-American food is what I think of as homecookin'. My paternal grandmother was Italian and an excellent cook and she taught my mom all her recipes (fortunately for us, since my maternal grandmother was a lovely lady with a couple of good dishes in her repertoire, but was also known for atrocities like 'Hawaiian lasagna' - so named because she used pineapple cottage cheese accidentally). Also, I'd read a lot of terrible reviews of this restaurant.

At any rate, we were seated super-quickly for our lunch. The decor is faux grapes, dried pasta, bottles of wine/olive oil and exposed brick. Comforting and familiar, if not ground-breaking. Our waiter came over to ask what beverages we wanted. Melissa asked if they had cherry Coke. They did not, but he offered to put grenadine in a Coke for her. A Roy Rogers! I hadn't had one in years! Of course, we all got them.

He brought over some warm rolls and olive oil for dipping. Bread at Italian restaurants is why I never, ever order pasta dishes. Its siren call is too hard to resist. The olive oil was pretty low quality for a dipping oil. I could feel the acidity burn at the back of my throat. Easily fixed by just eating plain bread, which is fine by me when it's still warm from the oven/breadwarmer.

Melissa and Derrick both ordered the chicken parmagiana while I asked for the pork saltimbocca. I was happy to see a pork dish on the menu as it's one of my favorite meats to use in Italian cooking.

The chicken parm was an enormous piece of breaded chicken smothered in red sauce and cheese and served over spaghetti. For a piece of chicken that thick, I was surprised at how tender and well-cooked it was. Honestly, chicken parm is something I never, ever order because it's usually awful (plus I'd rather have eggplant or veal parm), but this one was pretty tasty. The red sauce wasn't too acidic or offensively sweet - just simple and good.

The saltimbocca was pork tenderloin topped with prosciutto, sage, fontina cheese, and a lemon-caper sauce served over mashed potatoes and broccolini. I love broccolini and these were cooked al dente and still nice and crisp (though I had to borrow the knife they gave D for his chicken parm so I could cut them). The mashed potatoes had rosemary and garlic and were just a rough mash, so there was still a little bite to them. I feel like I've eaten those potatoes a million times, so they weren't that exciting - but still tasty and hot all the way through. The pork was lovely. Tenderloin is SO easily overcooked, but this was fork-tender. The lemon-caper sauce looks a lot more voluminous on the plate than I remember. I'm pretty sensitive to lemon in a savory dish. It's WAY too easy to overdo it and if it's overdone, I'll stop eating it. I know I ate all the pork, so the lemon-caper sauce clearly didn't overwhelm me.

For someone who is iffy about lemon in savory dishes, I can't get enough of citrus in my desserts! I was excited to see some citrus desserts on the menu (though I would DEEPLY love to see a different Italian dessert once in a while. A rum baba or slice of cream cake would be a welcome change). Melissa got the Ghirardelli Chocolate and Cherry Torte to go, while D and I ordered the cannoli and the dessert sampler to share there.

Dessert Sampler (left to right): Valencia Blood Orange Cake, Lemon Cheesecake with Passion Fruit pearls, Tiramisu

Cannoli

(The chocolate and cherry torte is not shown because it fell over in the box and looks wholly unappetizing. Miss said it was good, though.)

Okay, cannoli - I grew up with cannoli that were filled with rum-flavored pastry creme. I didn't have one with sweetened ricotta until I was much older. Back home in Boston, a good Italian bakery serves both kinds of cannoli and I get my fix when I go home for a visit. Still, I am always the teeniest bit disappointed when I get a ricotta cannoli. All that aside, these were decent cannoli. The menu describes a 'hint of citrus', but they were quite orange-y. I was thrilled - D, not so much.

In fact, there was more citrus in the cannoli than there was in the Valencia Blood Orange cake. Bleargh. It just tasted like wet cake. I don't like wet cake. I also don't care for tiramisu, but D really enjoyed it (as you can see, he ate it before I could take a photo of it). I do like a crustless cheesecake, so I enjoyed the bite of lemon cheesecake with passion fruit pearls - but I was full from lunch and the cannoli.

Our service was good. The meal was well paced and we never felt rushed. The only blip on the radar was that our server couldn't get his Magic Band reader to read my Magic Band, nor D's. Melissa ended up putting all our meals on her plan, so we got her back when we went to Hollywood Brown Derby. This was the only time we had Magic Band issues at a meal, so no big deal.

Mama Melrose provided a fine meal, but it joins Fairfax Fare in the "I'd eat there again, but after I tried everything else" list.

Coming Soon: Day 2, Part 2 - Min & Bills and the Symphony in the Stars Dessert Party.

Hello! Joining in...

The saltimbocca was pork tenderloin topped with prosciutto, sage, fontina cheese, and a lemon-caper sauce served over mashed potatoes and broccolini.

This is exactly what I plan to order at MM during our upcoming trip. Love saltimbocca, although I usually have it using chicken so I'm looking forward to the pork version.

Joining in! Your title totally drew me in. I unfortunately did leave without a brioche ice cream sandwich :(. When I got to L'artisan all I was in the mood for in that moment was one small scoop in a cup. Oh well, next time.

The star of this meal was the Pink Lemonade cupcake.

So pretty! Me like! especially the cheshire cat decoration.

Your meal at Mama Melrose looks pretty decent. Especially the chicken parm - now that looks mouthwatering. Glad to read that it was good.
The canollis also look great, but not a fan of overly orange flavor. That lemon cheesecake with passion fruit though is right up my alley. Love love love lemon desserts

We hit Starring Rolls pretty much every trip! And every trip I say I'm trying the Butterfinger cupcake, and every time I get a cheese Danish lol.
Glad to see a good review of MM, yours is actually the 2nd or 3rd positive review I've read in the past few weeks. We're having lunch there in Nov. after not eating there for probably 4ish years. I know my older DS will most likely get the chicken parm. Your pork dish does look very good!

Hello! Joining in...

This is exactly what I plan to order at MM during our upcoming trip. Love saltimbocca, although I usually have it using chicken so I'm looking forward to the pork version.

Welcome!!! I hope you enjoy your meal as well! I was a bit worried about going there for lunch since most everything on the menu looked heavy, but it was leisurely meal and I didn't feel weighed down after.

Joining in! Your title totally drew me in. I unfortunately did leave without a brioche ice cream sandwich :(. When I got to L'artisan all I was in the mood for in that moment was one small scoop in a cup. Oh well, next time.

So pretty! Me like! especially the cheshire cat decoration.

Your meal at Mama Melrose looks pretty decent. Especially the chicken parm - now that looks mouthwatering. Glad to read that it was good.
The canollis also look great, but not a fan of overly orange flavor. That lemon cheesecake with passion fruit though is right up my alley. Love love love lemon desserts

I am DYING to tell the brioche story - the whole day was a bit of a comedy. I could hang out in Epcot France all day and consider it money and time well spent.

We hit Starring Rolls pretty much every trip! And every trip I say I'm trying the Butterfinger cupcake, and every time I get a cheese Danish lol.
Glad to see a good review of MM, yours is actually the 2nd or 3rd positive review I've read in the past few weeks. We're having lunch there in Nov. after not eating there for probably 4ish years. I know my older DS will most likely get the chicken parm. Your pork dish does look very good!

In the two years between this trip and last trip, I was looking forward to trying more Disney cupcakes on this trip. Out of the very few I had, I only really enjoyed the pink lemonade cupcake. Still, there are SO many other epic sweets at Disney - I think I'll skip the cupcakes next time!

I'm in, cause I am going in December, and I would like one of those too! Can't wait to hear where you get it and how delicious it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!