I am officially middle-aged.

46 this week so I am the middle of middle aged. Man, that's depressing. But I agree with Searc above....empty nesters who can eat where we want and do what we want AND the house stays clean...is pretty cool. Hey, @Searc it's nice to find another 40something empty nester...most folks our age still have school aged kids (like elementary-middle).

Last edited:
What is this “empty nesters” business y’all speak of?

I am 47 and am still responsible for 4 kids, with college and cars and all that! My money is more tied up than ever! 😢 (I started having kids when I was 25 and guess I had too darn many! 🤣)

I turn 45 next month and I am loving middle-age...empty nesters with the time and income to explore. :moped:
46 this week so I am the middle of middle aged. Man, that's depressing. But I agree with Searc above....empty nesters who can eat where we want and do what we want AND the house stays clean...is pretty cool. Hey, @Searc it's nice to find another 40something empty nester...most folks our age still have school aged kids (like elementary-middle).

To be serious, this could be why I *don't* feel middle-aged at 45. Most of my former classmates have grown children, and many are even grandparents already. But I have a 4-year-old. I guess the other moms in my "moms over 40 with young children" group are right, that having young kids keeps you young, too!

But I will say, I look forward to getting my AARP in 5 years. Bring on the discounts! (Not to mention that I've already been given the senior discount at Dunkin without asking for it...)

To be serious, this could be why I *don't* feel middle-aged at 45. Most of my former classmates have grown children, and many are even grandparents already. But I have a 4-year-old. I guess the other moms in my "moms over 40 with young children" group are right, that having young kids keeps you young, too!

But I will say, I look forward to getting my AARP in 5 years. Bring on the discounts! (Not to mention that I've already been given the senior discount at Dunkin without asking for it...)
I don't feel middle-aged, at all. :confused3

I'm 46 and an empty nester also. While I miss the kids, I also have enjoyed the new pace and how easy it is to maintain the house. :) :) DH and I planned to have our kids early so we would be empty nesters early, and I feel like it was a good call for us.
I'm okay with my age and this stage, life is good.

What is this “empty nesters” business y’all speak of?

I am 47 and am still responsible for 4 kids, with college and cars and all that! My money is more tied up than ever! 😢 (I started having kids when I was 25 and guess I had too darn many! 🤣)
Our money is pretty tied up too. Though eldest is done sapping it from us (DS-22 who now has good job). and Twin DDs-20 are still emptying our pockets but not for much longer (3 more semesters till graduation...yay). We did downsize our house into a townhome and moved states to a lower COL so that helped us have more play money. But was just talking with SIL (50 with 3 20-something kids and just 1 left in college) and we joked that our youngest kids bills are what will be our future vacation home. As in as soon as our $$ is done paying their rent and tuition, it will start paying for a condo at the beach (woo hoo).

I don't feel middle-aged, at all. :confused3
I don't really either. Just the stupid hot flashes that have started. Plus aches and pains I never used to have (I squatted while giving my dog a haircut and the next day I could barely move...LOL). Okay....so I guess I do feel middle aged...poo.

I lie about my age; I have for a long time. :blush: For many years I stalled at 45 (and I think I sold it reasonably well). Now I actually round up and say I'm almost 60. It gets me way more "Wow - you look amazing" responses. :rotfl:

I am guilty of lying about my age too. Everybody at work thinks I am 37. Somebody was being particularly nosy on birthdays, and pushed the issue. My initial response was I am closer to 40 than 30 (which IS true). She wouldn't drop it, so I was like I was born in 1982 . It is really easy to keep it straight in your mind if you just drop 10 years and adjust all events accordingly.

At home my age has become kind of a joke because my brother in-law once said he thought I was 33 at some social engagement, so when age comes up I ALWAYS say 33 when my family is around.

My husband said that some guy he works with said I look 12. :rotfl:

I am guilty of lying about my age too. Everybody at work thinks I am 37. Somebody was being particularly nosy on birthdays, and pushed the issue. My initial response was I am closer to 40 than 30 (which IS true). She wouldn't drop it, so I was like I was born in 1982 . It is really easy to keep it straight in your mind if you just drop 10 years and adjust all events accordingly.

At home my age has become kind of a joke because my brother in-law once said he thought I was 33 at some social engagement, so when age comes up I ALWAYS say 33 when my family is around.

My husband said that some guy he works with said I look 12. :rotfl:
:blush: I never thought I could actually sell 10 years younger and that would be creepy in some ways as my DH is already 13 years older than me (my real age). I did look 45 when I turned 50, but 40 would have been pushing it. It also gets a little more difficult when most of the people in your circles have known you for a long time. I'm in Year 14 at my current job and have been involved with all our closest friends for that long or longer.

:laughing: Ironically, it's somewhat easier with family. There's a big age gap between my siblings and me. I have a brother and a sister; not exactly sure how old either of them are without doing the math and they are the same with me. We recently had a cousin's reunion and the first thing we did was sort out how old each of us are.

I know a gal who swears not to know her age or how many years she's been married. She has to think about it and can come up with a range. I call BS. Sometimes I too have to stop and think (more with how many year married) but can always figure it out because I know the year I was born (73) and the year we were married (96)...easy.

I know a gal who swears not to know her age or how many years she's been married. She has to think about it and can come up with a range. I call BS. Sometimes I too have to stop and think (more with how many year married) but can always figure it out because I know the year I was born (73) and the year we were married (96)...easy.
I agree and feel the same way about the people who say they have no idea about their spouse's jobs. It sort of seems like either a weird exaggeration or willful nonchalance.

I joke about "having to do the math" but of course I know how old I am. ;)

I agree and feel the same way about the people who say they have no idea about their spouse's jobs. It sort of seems like either a weird exaggeration or willful nonchalance.

I joke about "having to do the math" but of course I know how old I am. ;)

I spent my 43rd year thinking I was 44. It wasn't until my Birthday at the end of the year that I realized I had somehow gotten ahead of myself. lol It was a nice surprise when I realized I had another whole year before I hit 45.

I do have to do the math (born in 72, married in 95). I keep track of my sibs and parents by knowing how their age relates to mine. Sisters 6 years older, 3 years older, and 3 years younger. Parents 29 and 30 years older. DH and I are the same age. So far, the kids ages are effortless.

I spent my 43rd year thinking I was 44. It wasn't until my Birthday at the end of the year that I realized I had somehow gotten ahead of myself. lol It was a nice surprise when I realized I had another whole year before I hit 45.

I do have to do the math (born in 72, married in 95). I keep track of my sibs and parents by knowing how their age relates to mine. Sisters 6 years older, 3 years older, and 3 years younger. Parents 29 and 30 years older. DH and I are the same age. So far, the kids ages are effortless.
I've done that at times. This gal I know, though, we spent a lot of time together and she could never do the math. Claimed not to know the years of her birth and marriage. Didn't know how old she was when she had her DD (who was my twin DDs' age and on same ball team for years). Was very odd.

I can do the math too as my DH is my age. My bro is 5 years older and DH's eldest sis is also 5 years older. My parents were 25 when they had me (I was 25 when I had my youngest and SIL was 25 when she had her middle as was MIL when she had her middle...SIL, MIL and I all had 1st at 23...my parents were 20). All the cousins (my kids and their cousins) fall between 15-25 this year.

I just read an article about how clothing at Costco is becoming one of their best selling items and how retailers and designers are using Costco to move large amounts of merch because it provides a guaranteed profit for them, so more and more legitimate fashion brands are using them.

For my part, I am 40 but have been buying clothes at Costco for years and years. Usually workout clothes, either Adidas, Puma, Champion, Skechers, or Tuff Athletics. I have several Calvin Klein, DKNY, and Tommy Hilfiger items (t shirts, sweaters, etc), Lucky brand and 7 for all Mankind jeans. I have been buying my boys athletic Adidas 3 stripe shorts there since they started wearing them 5+ years ago. Why pay $30/pair when Costco sells them for $10? They also have great prices on Speedo swimsuits and I have bought many of those as well. The men's clothes are an even better value. We buy tons of polo shirts and hybrid shorts there for summer.

I find a lot of the clothes to be definitely "old lady" in style, and I pass on those flowy flowered or crazy print shirts and tunics, and steer far clear of anything Gloria Vanderbilt, but these are some great clothes to be found for younger women too.

I have already taken the exit ramp from middle-aged.

one thing about buying clothes at Costco is if you see something you want you'd better buy it because the next time you come back they would be sold out in your size.

my birthday is towards the middle of the year. so part of the year I'm one age, the rest I'm another. I often get confused.

I have already taken the exit ramp from middle-aged.

one thing about buying clothes at Costco is if you see something you want you'd better buy it because the next time you come back they would be sold out in your size.

my birthday is towards the middle of the year. so part of the year I'm one age, the rest I'm another. I often get confused.
If you see an asterisk then that typically means Costco isn't ordering any more of said product so when I see that and its in my size and I want it I usually get it then.

Also check online because they do have some inventory online that's the same as in the stores and sometimes more sizes. There's been times where they don't have my husband's size in store but they do online. It's often enough too that online ordering doesn't cost any shipping.

If you see an asterisk then that typically means Costco isn't ordering any more of said product so when I see that and its in my size and I want it I usually get it then.

Also check online because they do have some inventory online that's the same as in the stores and sometimes more sizes. There's been times where they don't have my husband's size in store but they do online. It's often enough too that online ordering doesn't cost any shipping.
thanks for the information. I don't often buy clothes from Costco. when I do it is usually seasonal items so they seem to turn over fast.

I turned 40 this spring, DH congratulated me on becoming middle aged 🙄 I buy my jammies at Costco. Like the Tranquility skirts they had a few years back, but haven’t seen the mud-length non skort version in a few years. Bought my convertible cargo pants in Boy Scout green there last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!