I am starting to get worried

nancel.5

Earning My Ears
After much research and time spent reading these boards,we booked our trip at the POR from 6/22-6/30. We are my DH and I and our DD's 8 and 4 and DS 7. We are all getting very excited as this is our first trip to Disney. I am reading all sorts of stuff about how this resort is under repair and closed down etc. WE have a great rate but now I am wondering if I should try to switch resorts. I was looking at the Swan and Dolphin and becuase I am a teacher the rate there looks good too. Are these hotels considered Disney resorts and are you still getting all the perks that we would be getting staying at POR ? My children have waited a long time for this vacation and I don't want to mess it up! Any help that you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks, Nancy in N.J.

We stayed at the Swan in 2000. We LOVED it. The location is great, and my kids loved the pool there. It is not owned by Disney, but you still get all the perks, like transportation etc.

Nancel

I think you are probably staying at what used to be called Dixie Landings, which is now called Port Orleans Resort, you need to call them to verify, but I know the old POR (french quarter) is what is closed.

A friend of mine from work is staying at POR (Dixie Landings) in April, so I know its still open.

Have a great vacation

I am realizing with as many people that post on these boards
you get good and bad reports about every resort. It depends on the person and the time of their stay.

I am not calling anyone a "liar" but we all base our opinions
on different things, as for switching to anther resort I would
call first and check. Do not let others change your mind unless
it is for a really good reason.

good luck.

I just realized that because is spelled incorrectly. I am a Biology teacher but I do know how to spell !! Ha Ha

nancel.5, in my heart "Port Orleans" resort will always be "Dixie Landings" resort! Can't imagine why they changed the name to PO since DL is a much larger and "happening" resort. For a resort in the moderate range, the landscaping is beautiful.

Anyway, the section you'll be staying in is what used to be called DL; now they call it Riverside. There are two choices of rooms and I've stayed in both: bayou and mansion. The bayou has a more rustic feel and is my favorite. The kids would probably enjoy this section more. If you get in building 14 you'll be close to the food court/gift shop/restaurant/lounge. There are several styles of mansions, but if you stay in Oak Manor or Parterre Place you'll be a bridge walk away from the food court. (FYI, you can contact the resort ahead of time and request where you'd like to stay.)

P.S. We always used Disney buses as our main form of transportation, but they seem to have cut down service. On our last trip we opted for a rental car. We found it much more direct and faster. With three kids, you might do better to rent a car and let DH take a taxi to/from his conference.

Enjoy your trip!

MKingdom

By June, everything should be up and running at PO-R if it isn't already. You will love this resort...it is gorgeous!! We have stayed there twice, in both the mansions and the bayou. We also prefer the bayou, especially building 14! To be honest, the Swan and Dolphin are just hotels, PO-R is a real Disney experience!

Hi Nancy! I'm from NJ too! Although I have never stayed at Dixie Landings both my sister and my dear friend have. They both really enjoyed the resort and thought it was beautiful, but both complained about being cramped in the small rooms. I am staying at the Dolphin in April and I'll gladly give you my impressions when I return. I do know that the location of the Dolphin and Swan is wonderful (I've stayed at the Yacht Club which is right next door), and they are certainly more than "just hotels" (I've visited several times). Whatever you decide I'm sure your vacation will be wonderful!!!:D

From what I have heard you should be fine.... Dixie landings (and it will always be DL to me! LOL) is a wonderful place... I stayed there in 1993 for my first WDW trip! Food court was nice, lounge was acceptable.... grounds were so clean and well kepted up.... and the buildings looked sooooo SOuthren (I am a northrener so forgive me! LOL

Calling and asking if things will all be a-ok for your trip might be wise....

Swan and Dolphin are both nice. You really cant go wrong with any place on-site (S&D included) But S&D are more like hotels that have been themed as appose to theming that turned into a hotel. (does that make sense???)

Have fun and let us know what you deside!

I don't think it's that you get good or bad reports...as so much as everyone has their own opinion which differs from what you may actually like. Things at Disney will always have to be rehabbed and some rehabs may actually happen while you are visiting but you can't let those things stop you from having the best time of your life. When I am there, I get so engulfed in the magic I don't let anything get in the way of that. There is too much to see to let one attraction or part of a resort closure to stop me from having a great time.

I hope you do too!

Have a great trip!!

Thank you all for the help. I think we are going to stay with our choice of POR. Our reservation is for the Bayou section because there are 5 of us and I did call and request building 14. Thanks again. Nancy

I have stayed at both POR twice and the Dolphin twice, and for your size family, I would definitely choose the Dolphin. We got the teacher's discount last year for $99/night and Disney could not beat that. But even for $129 for this year, that is still great. If my daughter (she's a teacher) were going, we would probably be staying there, but she's not and we got $94/night at POR. I just wish I could stay at the Dolphin this year as I'm going to miss the whole Epcot area. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that we are going to Disney and feel very lucky, I'm just going to miss that area as it is my favorite. Also the Dolphin is a deluxe and POR is a moderate. They offer a lot more in the way of amenities.

To me the Epcot resorts have the best location and I feel the transportation is better. Besides being close to Epcot and MGM, the Boardwalk is right there and there is all kinds of activity going on in the evenings. I just love taking the water taxis to the 2 parks or you can walk if you like. I don't know if I would walk to MGM as it is a little further than Epcot, but I've heard that some do.

To me, the 2 don't compare, but this is JMHO. I know that some feel that POR has more theming, but the Dolphin has theming too, maybe not as much as Disney's resorts. It has an awesome lobby with a giant beach tent in the center. They have a great pool and game room. Also have a cafeteria-style food area....Tubbi's Buffeteria. They also have a 50's style soda shop and several table service restaurants between the 2 resorts. There are several restaurants nearby with the Y&BC and the BW.

Just wanted to give you my opinion. Again this is what I would choose. But you need to do what is best for you.

Either way, you can't go wrong. POR is a lovely resort with all the lush landscaping. I really like this resort also, but to me, it doesn't compare with a deluxe.

Good luck with your planning!
;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!