I Better Vote Tomorrow...

I was avoiding this thread because I use Disney to avoid politics but there are fellow Delawareans in here. Hi! No clue about roads in Middletown though as I'm in Wilmington.

And wow does Las Vegas win the "I voted" sticker contest. My polling place had stickers and they were nice enough to give them to the two "future voters" who accompanied me.

But this was not in house. I had several texts from the X party about the ballots and also asking if DH would like to host a house party for "get out the vote". And this started back in July. It's not like he was in the hospital within the last 6 weeks.
I understood what you were saying and was merely adding my experience with hospitalised people during, or in your case, near election time:).
I don't understand completely what telephone contacts and your DH's hospital stay have to do with each other but thought I got the overall impression that you suspected someone at the hospital gave your DH's info to the local X party.

I understood what you were saying and was merely adding my experience with hospitalised people during, or in your case, near election time:).
I don't understand completely what telephone contacts and your DH's hospital stay have to do with each other but thought I got the overall impression that you suspected someone at the hospital gave your DH's info to the local X party.

Yes, that's exactly it. My DH doesn't give out his number to anyone, mostly because he doesn't remember it. He would have to look it up on the phone. So we put my number down for any hospital contact. And when the text has his proper name on it, not the common nickname, makes me even more suspicious.

When people have died so that we can vote, not voting seems like such a lazy, selfish thing to do, IMO.

While I personally feel an obligation to vote, I would never call those who choose not to lazy and selfish. I'm sure they have their reasons, maybe they feel all politicians are corrupt self serving rear ends. ;)

Yes, that's exactly it. My DH doesn't give out his number to anyone, mostly because he doesn't remember it. He would have to look it up on the phone. So we put my number down for any hospital contact. And when the text has his proper name on it, not the common nickname, makes me even more suspicious.
Hospitals don’t give out phone numbers if that’s what your implying. You don’t have to give your phone number to anyone for them to get. Nothing you do on your phone or internet is private.

I wish we could go back to not knowing if you voted, who you voted for, and not particularly caring either way. Or maybe when I was a kid it all went over my head.
I asked my mom once, who she voted for and she told me it was none of my business and your vote should always be kept secret.
Political affiliation is killing this country.

I mean, your ballot is still your business. You opt in to share your preferences and affiliations. No one knows who you voted for unless you let them.

But yeah, if you DO share who you voted for, don't be surprised if people do care because your vote does affect them. People don't have to rush to tell on themselves, but a lot of people do.

Hospitals don’t give out phone numbers if that’s what your implying. You don’t have to give your phone number to anyone for them to get. Nothing you do on your phone or internet is private.

It just seems odd then. Suddenly getting text messages in his name on my phone after having this number for years and only involving voting.

Had to laugh....this site which is supposed to have NO POLITICS discussed....had an AD here on page one of this thread with box to click to "VOTE REPUBLICAN" and a big picture of the "President" on it.
I get disney world ads on every site I go to you. The disboards didn’t put that ad there. It’s a pop up.

So Georgia has purged people who have not voted in 7.5 years as the law states. They were sent a notification by mail and given 3 months to respond. If they responded, they remained on the rolls. If they failed to respond they were struck as it was assumed they moved and did not update their voter registration.

Seems very fair.

Maybe it sounds fair to you, but it usually effects low income voters. Given it's Georgia it really not surprising given one candidates attempts to keep as many low income and minority voters from exercising their right.

I wish we could go back to not knowing if you voted, who you voted for, and not particularly caring either way. Or maybe when I was a kid it all went over my head.
I asked my mom once, who she voted for and she told me it was none of my business and your vote should always be kept secret.
Political affiliation is killing this country.
We talk politics in my family and have since I was a little girl; also religion of which there are many different members of the major religions throughout the gathered assembly.
My mother and elder sister's husband greatly admired a then local and now nationally known political activist but neither my elder sister or I did. Much hooping, hollering, snorts and "Puhleeses" were heard until dinner was put on the table at which point a good time continued to be had by all with the exception of the turkey. What we don't do is put anyone else's political or religious thoughts down unless they just feel like being a provocateur.

I always knew who my mother voted for since a) I entered the booth with her throughout my childhood and b) she frequently volunteered for voting organisations and various politicians. She always discussed why she was voting for someone and I appreciate to this day those conversations.

Last night whilst watching the nightly news, DGD, asked me what my political affiliation was. Turned the question backed on her and asked what she thought the principles were of the major parties and how close she felt they were to their professed beliefs as opposed to their actions. When she finishes educating herself on the topic we'll discuss my affiliation but not before.

Last edited:
It's maybe more of a "thing" now because of the 2018 Supreme Court ruling that states have the right to drop voters who don't regularly vote, and fail to respond to a state notification (this is the key, because previous Federal legislation prohibited dropping people for simply not voting). The case they heard concerned Ohio and a period of 6 years. That's really only 2 mid-terms and a Presidential year. So for some reason, a person fails to vote in a Presidential year (illness, real life is chaotic, or choice) and don't read their mail, they could be eligible to be dropped in Ohio. There are similar rules for inactive voters elsewhere. Georgia is another state that was impacted by the Supreme Court decision. What other states adopt, along these lines, will likely be determined by the results of today's votes. Any further discussion down this path is more political than Civics so I'll stop now.

I assume there is going to be a lot more "use it (or you might lose it - or at least have to re-register)" talk depending on what states and municipalities do.

Then hopefully these states have same day voter registration. I got married literally two weeks before election day and moved into my hubby's condo after our honeymoon. That was the weekend before November 6th. When I went to vote, I went to my old address as it made sense. Well, they turned me away and the worker said because she heard I got married (I was raised in a city btw!). First of all, I was concerned she took me off the roll over something she "heard". But I probably wouldn't have given her an earful if I'd been able to register that day in my new district.

Poor people are incapable of responding to a letter? Who knew.

I like a lot of what you post, but you make some ignorant comments quite a bit. If you ever lived in a city, you'd know that many people spend their days in a small area that really doesn't require a car. You'd also know some people work so many hours that even getting to a post office is a pain in the butt. Frankly, responding to a snail mailed letter is pain for me now too and I'm not poor. Who has time to go buy a stamp?

I like a lot of what you post, but you make some ignorant comments quite a bit. If you ever lived in a city, you'd know that many people spend their days in a small area that really doesn't require a car. You'd also know some people work so many hours that even getting to a post office is a pain in the butt. Frankly, responding to a snail mailed letter is pain for me now too and I'm not poor. Who has time to go buy a stamp?

I grew up the city, and we were poor. So so much for my comment being ignorant.
You don't have to go to the PO first of all, you can purchase stamps at the grocery store, and even the drug stores. Places that even poor people go too. You also can put the letter in your mail box for pick up. If you have a home, you have a mailbox, even if you are low income. I'm also going to assume that there was even a choice to phone in your response, but admit that I don't know that for sure so I'll give you that one.
What I found ignorant was your assumption that because a person was low income they were incapable of responding to a letter. That really says alot about what you think of those people under a certain income level.
And if those people can make it out to the polls to vote, they can make it to the PO for stamps, right?
And they can re-register, it isn't like they are removing people and never allowing them to vote again.

Last edited:
If you ever lived in a city, you'd know that many people spend their days in a small area that really doesn't require a car. You'd also know some people work so many hours that even getting to a post office is a pain in the butt. Frankly, responding to a snail mailed letter is pain for me now too and I'm not poor. Who has time to go buy a stamp?

In general, voting is a right and should not be a nuisance, or a chore, or difficult. Period. Those who want to exercise their right should be able to do so easily, in a way that ENCOURAGES them, not discourages them.

My mom once threatened to not feed me dinner until I voted. I think I was 18 or 19. She drove me to the polls and waited while I voted. I think I only didn't vote in a couple of primaries.

I grew up the city, and we were poor. So so much for my comment being ignorant.
You don't have to go to the PO first of all, you can purchase stamps at the grocery store, and even the drug stores. Places that even poor people go too. You also can put the letter in your mail box for pick up. If you have a home, you have a mailbox, even if you are low income. I'm also going to assume that there was even a choice to phone in your response, but admit that I don't know that for sure so I'll give you that one.
What I found ignorant was your assumption that because a person was low income they were incapable of responding to a letter. That really says alot about what you think of those people under a certain income level.
And if those people can make it out to the polls to vote, they can make it to the PO for stamps, right?

I disagree. Even in my non-poor state now, that letter would come amid a bunch of junk mail and it would be pushed to the side. Now imagine if that person is elderly or speaks a different language. I'm sorry, but these attempts are nothing more than attempts to confuse.

I disagree. Even in my non-poor state now, that letter would come amid a bunch of junk mail and it would be pushed to the side. Now imagine if that person is elderly or speaks a different language. I'm sorry, but these attempts are nothing more than attempts to confuse.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I see no reason why a resident of any state can't understand how voting works in the state they live in. I don't think income level, age or being non-English speaking matter, especially if voting is so important to them. If it isn't important enough for them to understand the process, and they haven't bothered to vote in 7 years, why is it suddenly a problem that they would have to re-register after that long of being inactive?

Maybe it sounds fair to you, but it usually effects low income voters. Given it's Georgia it really not surprising given one candidates attempts to keep as many low income and minority voters from exercising their right.
How does this target low income or minority voters?

Voter roles should be kept current. If someone has not voted in 7.5 years and does not respond within three months to a written request to say yeah I am still here, what is the outrage?

I understand ID requirements can be a burden due to costs and transportation issues but these people were given multiple ways to respond, phone, mail, and internet.

They can simply register to vote again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!